OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

kahles vs. leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kahles vs. leupold
    Posted: November/25/2007 at 08:09

I can not decide between two scopes. I am looking at the Kahles KX 3.5-10x50 and the Leupold VX-lll 3.5-10x50 with illuminated recticle, it also has a 30mm tube. My hunting is done in the south usually in pines for whitetail deer. I normally shoot between 75 to 150 yards, some times farther.. I have to have a scope that is best for low light and all weather conditions and a good warranty. I only have about $750.00 dollars to spend. If any one can help me decide please do. Also I will take suggestions for other scopes under $750. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 08:26

Welcome to The OT!

I'm going to go with the Kahles on this one. SEVERAL members here rate it very highly.

Please check out the Samples List provided by our gracious host SWFA.

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&mf g_selection=5&prod_type=1&hide_sold=false

What part of the South are you in??  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
chance View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 08:43
South Carolina
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 10:20
the kx will be the better choice optically here and i think a kahles against any brand isnt a bad choice
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 10:37
Clearly, the Kahles is a better choice than the VX111.....As a matter of fact, many shooters prefer the Elite 4200 over the VX111.........Between the VX111 and the Kahles??? Go with the Kahles!!! Much better choice!!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 11:06
TR22R Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
SWFA: $763.95
More Info... Buy Now

I think that the tritium / fiber optic illuminated TR22 is also worth consideration in this price range. The Leupold VXIII's big bonus is the boone and crocket reticle for use at long range, The Kahles has better glass but the margin is really not that significant the benefit of going to a larger objective and illumination of a TR22 far outweighs the other factors at dark if you are only shooting 100 to 150 yds.  Since I am already over budget I will add another scope I like for not much  more:

251421 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8
  • 30mm
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
SWFA: $899.95
More Info... Buy Now

The FFP allows known holdover at any power unlike balistic reticles that only work at the highest power.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 20:08

Welcome to the OT, as a fellow South Carolinian I will highly recommend that you totally forget about Leupold and go with the Kahles.  Using Kahles and Leupold in the same sentence is an insult to Kahles.  The clarity Kahles provides is awesome.  I have two Kahles scopes, a C 3-12X56 and a CL 4-12X52, both are excellent with the C edging out slightly better being a little bit brighter due to the larger objective.  If you want an illuminated reticle, Kahles has a couple of lines with those, they are out of your price range though.  I'd say look for a Kahles CL off the sample list in your price range, it has slightly better resolution than the KX but you would might not even be able to tell.  The KX is an excellent.  I recommend a #4a reticle for low light, it is very easy to see and an illuminated reticle is not needed.  Good luck.

Edited by TheDrakeTaker
Robert
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 09:30

kahles, hands down. 

I live in central SC, and on a dark dusk or dawn - a quality riflescope makes all the difference in the world.

i have hunted w/ conquests, 4200's, monarchs, kahles, meopta meostars, etc. and the kahles is every bit as good or better than anything
in it's price range. the C class is nothing short of amazing.

what is it going on? 270? 30.06? if eye relief isn't a problem, i would look closely at the elite 4200 line. for the money, they are fantastic.

for 750, you can look at some great glass.  let us know what kind of rifle you are rigging up here.

thanks. and welcome to the OT.

J

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 09:45

I have a VariX-III in 3.5-10x50 that is slightly less quality than the VX-111. I do have other scopes in the VX-III range from Nikon and Bushnell. I can tell you that none of them can touch the contrast and brightness of the Kahles. It isn't even close.

Mine are 7A but a lot of folks around here like the 4A. Both are heavy and easy to see in low light.

Welcome to O.T. and good luck

chance View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 17:06

It is going on a 270rem or 30-06. I have both already. I currently have a elite 3200. Having problems with it holding zero and fogging up. Not happy with Bushnell warranty service, not buying another.

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 19:17
Originally posted by chance chance wrote:

It is going on a 270rem or 30-06. I have both already. I currently have a elite 3200. Having problems with it holding zero and fogging up. Not happy with Bushnell warranty service, not buying another.

Chance I also live here in SC.

Their is no comparison between a Kahles scope & a Leupold. Buy the Kahles scope. If you hunt in SC then you probably hunt very late like the most of us, 1 hour past official sun set. You know it gets dark out there. I have a Kahles model 3-12x56 & look what I shot Friday after Thanksgiving with it. The legal time to get out of the stand was 6:14. This guy showed up at 6:01 about 90 yards from me standing on the edge of a bean field in the shadows. There is no way I could have ethically taken this deer without the bright resolution of my scope. I also have a Zeiss 3x12 on a wooden stocked 7mm, but I hunted with my Kahles Friday because its on a stainless 270 & I thought it was going to rain.  By the way I bought the scope from SWFA. Just some advice if you are after bright resolution & good low light capability.

Edited by Obi Wan Kenobi - November/26/2007 at 19:22
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 19:44
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I have a VariX-III in 3.5-10x50 that is slightly less quality than the VX-111. I do have other scopes in the VX-III range from Nikon and Bushnell. I can tell you that none of them can touch the contrast and brightness of the Kahles. It isn't even close.

Mine are 7A but a lot of folks around here like the 4A. Both are heavy and easy to see in low light.

Welcome to O.T. and good luck

Very interesting, I have heard many people believe the optics on the Vari-X III is superior to the VX III. I don't have any idea if that is true or not. By the way, nice buck Obi !
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 17:21
Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

I have heard many people believe the optics on the Vari-X III is superior to the VX III. I don't have any idea if that is true or not.

It's the other way around.  The lens coatings have been improved on the VXIII vs the previous Vari-X III series.

Between ANY Leupold and ANY Kahles... Kahles wins handily in the optics department, but throw in size, weight, magnification configuration, and reticle choice options and a specific Leupold may be the best choice, depending on a number of factors.  But, I make no secret of being a huge Kahles fan.  Their scopes are awesome!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 10:21
yeah, leupolds VARIETY is second to none.

but middle of the road kahles is just as good or better than the top offerings leupold has.

I wish everyone would make duplex AND #4 reticles - and leave the ballistic reticles for the 'tactical' or higher magnification ranges. Chaps my ass. at LEAST a heavy duplex.

oh well. i guess we'll always have something to whine about ;)

J
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 10:23
um. and NICE buck Obi. where do you hunt? what county?

SC has some really nice bucks. especially in Orangeburg and Aiken counties where i hunt mostly.

J
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 10:43

That is a fine buck Obi!Thumbs%20Up

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 10:59
Nice Buck Obi, I'll bet the folks at the processor had a few looks, from other hunters.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 11:03
jonbravado, where do you hunt?  I live and hunt in Aiken county.  I hunt Cowden Plantation down in Jackson.  

Edited by TheDrakeTaker - November/28/2007 at 11:04
Robert
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 15:07
Well, I guess I shouldn't have bought my VX-III, but I did and I happen to like it better than the Zeiss Conquest I had on my LR-308 before.  To Zeiss' credit, they replaced it for free.  Like the guy I bought it from said, "somedays the guy at the factory has a bad day" and I'm sure that it was a fluke.  But the VX-III was plenty bright for me down here in Beaufort.  Never had a Kahles, but if these guys say it's better, buy it.  They haven't led me wrong yet!
Plumbergeek View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumbergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 22:55
I love my Kahles C 2.5x10x50 .......but this guy hated it!
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic