OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 6-24x56 rapid z1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 6-24x56 rapid z1000
    Posted: November/24/2007 at 18:25
Do any of you know if the rapid z1000 has to be used on a specific power setting?  What height rings would it take to mount on a heavy barrel Remmy 700?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 09:59
they are sfp so yes, which one I don't know but would be suprized if not 24 due to the small distance between ticks on the 1000z, high rings with 56mm bell
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 10:25

after visiting their web site, need to correct above abit

they have an on line access to exbal which is a program that allows you to optimize both the power range of the scope and the ballistic profile of the load you are using. thus after putting the profile of your cartridge into the program and selecting how you want the bars or ticks to show up it will calculate the hold overs.

this is pretty good for zeiss as they been setting on their reticles for way to long. as a note nightforce has been doing this with exbal for several years, and I'm sure zeiss's lagging in this side of the market has spurred them.

this means that with their program you can recalibrate the sfp at any power.

catt_tracker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 10:32

Thanks, Dale. 

So I won't need to use my 20moa base with this scope then? catt

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 11:07
Originally posted by catt_tracker catt_tracker wrote:

Thanks, Dale. 

So I won't need to use my 20moa base with this scope then? catt

That would depend on the distances you are going to be shooting, as well as the amount of internal adjustment that particular scope offers. It may very well be a good idea to use that base. Once you're zeroed properly, it won't negatively affect your ballistics program/reticle relationship to have an angled base under the scope and it may allow you to get way out there without using all your scope's elevation adjustments. (Should you choose to dial your elevation for the long shots.)

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 11:17
I thought the idea of the z1000 is that you don't have to dial elevation at all it just uses holdovers?  Do I have it all wrong? 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 14:19
 No, you understand correctly. Some reticles ARE designed to allow holdover at long ranges without dialing, such as the one in question. I'm not sure but I would guess that this scope also has a lot of internal adjustment range, so my suggestion to use the 20moa. base may be a moot point. I just thought it would be a good idea to install it, since you  have it already, anyway. If you decide to dial your elevations in some circumstances, for whatever reason, you would probably find it beneficial.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 15:48
the 1000 z reticle system has almost 30 moa built into the reticle without ad. or canted bases. at whatever distance you shoot the most, and have it centered for, the outside limits will not be as clear as your not using the better part of the glass (the centered portion). the 20 moa base will allow for more of the mechanical and optical center to be used at 1000 yd were apparently you will be needing it most.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 17:46
Ok, thanks for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic