OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mid priced

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mid priced
    Posted: November/23/2007 at 20:01

I am in the market for a new pair of 8X42 bino's, (under $1000) and I am considering the ones listed below. Would any of you guys/gals who is quite knowledgeble in the binocular arena please tell me what pair you would choose for general use. (looking at wildlife, looking at targets 600 yards & less, spotting hits for ground hog hunting, scenic overlooks)

Bushnell Elite 8X43

E.O. Ranger SRT 8X42

Kahles 8X42

Leupold Golden Ring 8X42HD

Meopta Meostar 8X42

Pentax DCF ED 8X43

Steiner Peregrine 8X42

Stokes DLS 8X42

Vortex Razor 8X42

I think Nikon makes a good pair for about $1100, but I can't remember the name. Premier LXL 8X42 ?

Edited by Blackbird
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 12:06
If you can spring for a Nikon LXL, that would be a very good choice.  Otherwise, out of the ones you listed, stay away from Ranger SRT. 

With the other ones, I have not played with Pentax DCF ED for any length of time, so it would come down to either Meopta or Vortex Razor, depending on what fis your hands better.  Razor has some of the best eyecups I have ever seen on a binocular which makes quite a difference.

ILya
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 12:45
Thank You for your input. I just checked, and realized the Nikon LXL  is $1300, (a little more than I wanted to spend). I will try to look through as many models as I can before I buy.
windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 13:21
Assuming the Meopta is the exact same as the Cabelas Euro, I would vote for that one.

Line them all up on the counter and compare..... its true outdoors will really tell the story, but I don't think they will shine outdoors if they don't first excel indoors.

Finding some dark hole or corner in the back of the store will give you a hint about night gathering abilities......
Also compare "clarity".. I"ve found that even some of the high end units can almost appear like a faint smoke in the air when compared to others, look at edge to edge clarity by looking at some writing somewhere, then lastly find some tiny writing off in the distance to focus on to dial in center focus.....

I had to find something to "rest" the bino on to really tell clarity differences.... holding in the hand is just not precise enough as all these glasses are too good to see the differences with the image moving.

I think you'll find the Meopta are quite impressive.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 15:04

Blackbird,

Of the binoculars that you have listed, the two that I like the most, based upon  previous comments/reviews, are the Meopta Meostar and the Vortex Razor.

These two have the widest FOV. Meostar @ 411' and the Razor @ 410'.

I will send you a PM

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 23:14

I have no experience with Vortex, but they are making some noise based upon people writing in about them.  However, if I was going to buy a good set of binoculars under a $1000 I would go with the Kahles.  I think Kahles makes a great set of binoculars they are clear, bright and well built.

Just my 2 cents

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 08:28
I don't believe I ever got to play with any of the Kahles... they look nice......

When comparing the pics.. it looks like the Meopta are more bullet proof or at least very close when comparing the size of the center connection between the two barrels, but I don't know about clarity.

I would say its a toss up on strength and go with the one that feels best in your hands and seems to be easiest on your eyes.
Provided the objective lens stays the same size, going with the 8X instead of the 10X, you will give up some power, but will gain allot of other things like more FOV, depth of field, more exit pupil for better night vision, more stable in your hands to process the image, and usually closer focus abilities... so study well your needs and priorities so you don't second guess yourself later.

I hate to keep preaching those points over and over, but I wished I had done more studying before I made my initial purchase as no one spelled it out for me all in one reading like that and I thought I knew everything I needed just with a quick study...... although I now have the pair I really want, I had to learn the hard way.
I actually spent far more money than I originally planned, but at least I'm happy and don't regret my purchase!

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1635-35-kahles-10x42-binocular.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-9103-1135-new-meopta-8x42-meostar-bin ocular.aspx
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 12:54
Thanks for all of the opinions. I am not considering 10X42, if you notice the list I posted is all 8X.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 16:25
Originally posted by Acenturian Acenturian wrote:

However, if I was going to buy a good set of binoculars under a $1000 I would go with the Kahles.  I think Kahles makes a great set of binoculars they are clear, bright and well built.

Yes, they are all of the above.

However, FWIW, I own both the Kahles 10X42 and the Vortex Razor 8X42.  I realize that comparing a 10X42 to an 8X42 isn't apples to apples, BUT in all seriousness, the Vortex BLOWS THE KAHLES AWAY optically!  It has much better resolution and almost no CA (unlike the Kahles, which has fairly noticeable CA), in addition to the much larger FOV, depth of field, and large sweet spot, no doubt aided by the fact it's an 8X.  It's actually not even close... really!  All of my hunting buddies who have picked up both binoculars have unanimously agreed.  In addition, the Razor is about $100 less than the Kahles.  In the "below $1K" price category, I would go with the Razor hands down, unless I saw a superb deal on the Meopta Meostar.  The Meostar looks to me to be very close to the Razor optically, but it's a little more expensive and doesn't have as good a warranty.

Edited by RifleDude - November/27/2007 at 16:28
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 18:40
Thanks Rifle Dude,
I have heard positive things about the Vortex Razor, and also the Stokes DLS.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 06:48
I've never seen the DLS, but when I inquired about these two binoculars via email to Vortex, they told me the Razor and Stokes DLS have the same glass and coatings and are very similar optically, with maybe a slight edge to the DLS.  If that's true, it must really be phenomenal!  The DLS is crowding the upper end of your price limit, though.  As you probably already know, Stokes is a birding series binocular line that is a sub-brand of Vortex.

I'm not alone in my assessment of the Razor.  FrankD on this forum has a Razor 8X42 as well and reviewed it extremely favorably.  Koshkin did own one and also gave it a very favorable review for its optics, focuser (which they've improved greatly on the current generation model), and multi-step eyecups, but he didn't care for the feel.  It is an "open bridge" design, with similar size and weight as the Swaro EL, so if you like the ergonomics of this style bino (a love/hate thing), you'll like the Razor.  I would actually compare the Razor's optics to my Leica Trinovid, which I think it's essentially equivalent to.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 11:58

RifleDude,

Have you ever tried one of the Vortex rifle scopes ? Just curious.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 16:34
No, I've never tried one, but if you do a search, Koshkin reviewed one not too long ago.  If my memory serves, he said it was a good scope, roughly equivalent to a Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200, but that in his estimation, might not represent as good a value as some other scopes in its class, comparing price to price.
Ted

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 15:28
to throw in another monkey wrench - try the 7x50 polaris from fujinon -

they are unbelievably good for under 600 bucks - they are excellent for
dusk/dawn hunting.  i like the steadiness of the 7x50 image over higher
magnifications too. very very easy on the eyes. i hunt whitetails in SC and utilize
almost all available shooting time w/ my older fujinons - i put them up there w/ the big
boy binos that cost over twice as much. and have put them up against swaro 7x50's in the
dark and it was amazing. try them out.

my 2 cents.

J
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2007 at 15:34

but out of the ones listed, i would say vortex or meostar.

i am awaiting the arrival of the 6.5x32 vortex that are coming out to put in my truck.

good luck - let us know what you decide.

J

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic