OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Knight or T/C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knight or T/C
    Posted: November/23/2007 at 12:49

I'm looking to buy a new muzzleloader for next fall.  Based on the research I've done, it seems like the Knight Long Range Hunter is the way to go.  However, I know a lot of guys who like the T/C's.    Any opinions from owners of each/both? 

Thanks much.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 14:14
I really like the Knight, my youngest brother lets me borrow it and I like it. Smoke poles are kinda fun.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 19:45

You could say that I am " Thompson Center " guy . I started out with a T/C Black Shadow in my college days, then to  a T/C  Black Diamond XR that shoots really well  and is topped with a 3200 Elite 3x9x40. The downside is the lengthy clean time.

I currently am using an 50 cal  Encore topped with a 2.5x8x36 VX III  that I installed Pro Hunter stocks on , a  Bellm oversize hinge pin, and a  new hammer spring. It likes what it likes ( 130gr 777 and 250 T/C bonded sabots) and is very accurate with it as long as I do my part.. My Dad uses an Omega topped with a 3x9 4200 Elite that admittedly was the easiest rifle ( centerfire or bp) that I ever worked a load up for . It shoots everything well enough to go hunting with, and some approaching MOA.  

I understand the new Triumph is  easiest to maintain blackpowder out there  and very accurate. It comes with a limbsaver already on it to boot. it will be my next blackpowder I acquire to give my oldest son .

As far as Knights go, the only experience I have with those are others I meet at the range. Opinions have been about 70/30 . Admittedly, most of  the 30 percent unhappy with them had older rifles . For me they shot just fine, but were a little bit dirtier than a T/C and noticeably heavier.

Edited by martin3175
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 20:10
i checked out the triumph and they seem flimsy and cheap, but im sure that to wear the t/c name its not a piece of sh*t, i wanna buy an encoree but im thinking the omega will be the one i take home.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 18:20
If you're not going to do the switch barrel thing--get the Omega --less money , and easier to maintain. The only thing I would do is put on a limbsaver pad ( quick and very easy to install ) .. snag a Leupold or Warne one piece base , the appropriate rings, and your scope of choice--taadaaa you're set..
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 21:37
yeah thats a good idea the limbsaver idea, but in mn  you cannot use a scope on a muzzleloader during muzzleloader season you may use a scope on a muzzleloader during the general fire-arms season though, so really for me in my situation a scope wouldnt be needed. i really like the omega with the grey laminate thumbhole stock ss barrel sweet it is.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 10:13
Yeah--the scope thing--We just got the okay in Maryland a few years back to use a scope. Previously I went with a peep site set up that actually worked pretty good. You could snag one of Eabco's scope mounts with the built in peep site and use detachable scope mounts if so desired.
Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 06:29
IF you are only going to use it for black powder hunting I would go with the omega,,,, If you think you might want to playing around with other items. I would go with the oncore, I just bought one this year and love it,I wish I went with the Pro hunter, I just think the Knight is over rated for their price when you can get a oncore and do so many other things with it, Also CVA is starting tomake them with diffrent barrells.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2007 at 14:12
I have had both and I still have a TC Omega and two TC Encores. The Omega is a fine rifle but buy only a 50 cal not a 45 cal.  There is quite a bit to know to achieve consistent accuracy, Ill give you the short version. Mark your ramrod at the level that it is at when you have the correct powder charge and bullet loaded - use a file or knife to scratch it and mark it. If you double load the barrel when you push the ram rod down it wont go down to that mark = DANGER WILL ROBINSON you are about to blow yourself up .  Always put grease on the breach plug or it wont come out.  Run a wet patch down the barrel after every shot. Use Barnes bullets. Try loads at 100 120 and 150 gr to see what groups best.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 17:55

If you want superior accuracy, get the Knight.  If you want an easier clean-up, get the TC.  I am very familiar with both rifles.  Unfortunately, Knight is ceasing production on the most accurate affordable rifle:  the disc extreme.  It uses red discs in which you place a 209 primer.  I hunt almost exclusively with my Knight Disc Extreme .45 caliber.  That's right, .45 caliber.  I deliver a 225 grain PowerBelt bullet over three 50 grain Triple Seven pellets at more than 2200fps.  It's a foolproof load you cannot beat.  I have deer heads on the wall to prove it.  And it shoots inside 2 inches at 100 yards.  Amazing.  But it kicks.  A little.  Well, a lot. 

Here's a super tip:  Sportsmansguide.com has an inventory of Knight .45 caliber Disc Extremes you can buy for $199.99 or $179.99 with a membership.  It's a steal.  Even though the link below tells you the rifle is blue with composite stock, what you will receive is a stainless fluted 26" barrel with black composite stock.  Here's the kicker:  if you order, ask the salesperson to have shipping pull a rifle with "MHC" as the prefix in the serial number.  I have done this twice, and both times received a master hunter barrel in a composite non-thumbhole stock.  It's the barrel you want, anyway!  I now have three Knight .45s, one blued with walnut and two MHC stainless fluted in black composite stocks.  Top them with a Conquest 3-9x40 and you will have the equivalent of most guys' centerfires.  You just have a little more time in the woods.  At least that's the way it is here in NC.  Check it out!  I believe it's the ML deal of the century.  Here's the link:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=360974
Good luck!  Drummer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 08:26
I disagree on the accuracy note---My personal experience with T/C's is one of excellent accuracy.  Two inches has been EASY to achieve....  Also- the powerbelt bullet has a rep of breaking up on impact...I like T/C ( Hornady's ) bonded 250 gr sabot in the new easier to load design.. over 130 gr of 777 pellets and 1.5 inches is do-able .. practice Unimaginaryfrnd's tips and you're set.

Edited by martin3175 - December/28/2007 at 08:07
Corky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 08:58
What are you're opinions on the Remington Genesis?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2007 at 19:14
Anyone  tried the Remington  Genesis yet??  I noticed the prices coming down on these ...
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 00:36
Have not used the Genisis, and realize that the 700ML is a totally different gun, but I LOVE mine.  Has a "lowly" Bushnell Banner 3X9 on it and has killed every deer that it has shot at.  About 6 or so.
At 50 yards, shot 3 group touching each other without cleaning and then swabbed with breech plug and nipple still in and shot 4th touching.  I'll take that any day, even if only at 50 yards.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 06:34
One lone dissenting vote for the savage 10MLll. Awesome gun with blackpowder or smokeless. An alternative suggestion.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 06:40
that deal there is intresting, im still trying to figure out how they can safely use smokeless powder in a muzzloader, but thats got to help accuracy some
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic