OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alaskan Ti

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaskan Ti
    Posted: November/22/2007 at 13:17
Looking at the Remington Alaskan Ti possibly in 300wsm.

Anyone familiar with this rifle? I'm probably over thinking this but I have concerns about the
spiral-cut flutes on the bolt and things like debris from breaking brush, rain water, etc., getting in there.

Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving,

-Mike

Edited by mike650
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 13:56
If I were you, I wouldn`t worry about the bolt flutes....A few custom rifle makers use that fluted bolt for weight reduction. The best one that comes to mind is the "Ed Brown" line. Just like the Remington Ti`s, those rifles can withstand anything the weather can dish out!! If a fluted bolt is good enough for the Ed Brown rifles, you won`t have any problems in the Remington Ti.......And besides, after your days hunt in wet weather, you are going to treat or wipe down the rifle anyway. IMO, not a concern in the least!! 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 18:07
Thanks Big Squeeze, I looks like I may be getting the Ti. :>)

-Mike
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 18:13
gonna love that 300wsm too ey squeeze
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 18:22
I have only held one and drooled over it.....  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 18:26
i wish remington would bring the 788 back
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 19:58
 I'm not too sure that you don't have a valid concern there. In extreme conditions I can see all sorts of crap getting in there. Granted, most hunts aren't THAT gnarly, but every now and then....I guess I'd be more concerned about freezing rain and sleet locking up the works than anything else.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 22:19

Ed Brown's Damara is comparable but much more expensive.  Here's a couple of things from the Ed Brown Website:

>We have found that muzzle brakes seem to enhance accuracy on the lighter weight barrels, which is why brakes are standard equipment on the Damara magnums.

>Spiral flutes on bolt distribute lubrication, enhance self-cleaning, and allow a tighter fitting bolt.

>Spiral flutes do not exist on lower sides for smoother feeding with belted cartridges

I wonder about the last sentence.  Does the Remington bolt have flutes all the way around?  Perhaps it wouldn't matter with cartriges that don't have belts. 

In 300 WSM the Alaskan Ti is shown to weigh 6#'s.  No mention is made of a muzzle brake.  Hello!  I'd love one in 7mm-08.

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0074.1.34406235598 0929174

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles /model_700/model_700_alaskan_Ti.asp

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 23:00
That Alaskan Ti weighs less than my Ruger Frontier compact!!!........Dammit! Oh well! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 06:26
its the titanium that gives it the 6# weight
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 09:04
 Personally, I think muzzle brakes are an invention of Satan himself. The cause of serious and permanent hearing loss to thousands of shooters. Many guides refuse to cater to hunters who use them, for just that reason.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 09:55

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Personally, I think muzzle brakes are an invention of Satan himself. The cause of serious and permanent hearing loss to thousands of shooters. Many guides refuse to cater to hunters who use them, for just that reason.

Agreed, if you can't handle the recoil of the caliber required there is a certain amount of game you will have to forgo in your hunting career.

The Alaskan Ti is an outstanding rifle for carry. Shoot right, shoot once and be happy!

Edited by tahqua
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 14:44
I don't like brakes either.  Just making a comment about 300WSM recoil with a 6# rifle.  Another 'fun' caliber with the Alaskan Ti is the 300 win mag coming in at 6.25#'s.

Edited by timber
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 20:12
i would shoot my 300winmag in a my browning abolt composite ss all day as opposed to my 300wsm in the same abolt minus the ss finish
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 22:45

pyro06999.  Is that a Stainless Stalker in 300 win mag?  Are you saying the 300 win mag has less felt recoil than a 300wsm?  Or less because of the stock?  Please explain.

I'm familar with A-Bolts and have experience with a 7wsm Medallion (6#9oz. - no scope, unloaded).  To me it's stock design handles the recoil pretty good, especially compared to my Sako 85 in 30/06.  They're both straight stocks but I think it's because the Medallion's pad contact area is much larger than the Sako 85.  I've harped on this before but I think (IMHO) that's the new Sako 85's biggest flaw. 

But given that I still wouldn't want to spend much time at the bench with the 7wsm Medallion, much less any 300 magnum (edit: 300 magnum in the Medallion).  Or to do the same with a 300 mag rifle (edit: ie, the Alaskan Ti) that weighs even less.  I'm just being sarcastic about the 'fun' caliber reference. 

Edited by timber
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 09:03
correct ss stalker in the 300winmag, but it does have the boss cr on it so its got a longer barrel, i did put a limbsaver on the 300wsm and its still not all that pleasant to shoot over and over, im gonna guess that the extra barrel length must help eliminate the recoil. the 7wsm isnt to bad i dont think, its like shooting a 7mm mag.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 12:47
WIMP!!!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 16:41
hey squeeze church it up a little im listening ive already had a handfull of people shoot it once and said never again! im no wimp, start blasting rounds out of an encore with a .416 rigby attached then we will see who the wimp is
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 17:50
Just teasing ya!....... No problem though!!!!!...............Bring it on!!!! Whatcha got!!!......How about a hot loaded 460 Wby. Mag., or some hot loaded 378`s.??!!!......Did 40 rounds each at one range session this year with friends rifles! Both had Trijicon scopes on them! No problems!........I guess recoil just doesn`t affect me as it would most! A blessing perhaps?? I`m sure my size and strength helps to some degree!     
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 21:35

hey speaking of the trijicon scopes i see boddington used it in africa on some hunts with the .375 H&H and the .375 ruger with no problems i think he stated that the tritium post was actually nice.

yeah the .460 wby what a power house that would be for whitetail huh

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic