OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEED HELP SELECTING A SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP SELECTING A SCOPE
    Posted: November/22/2007 at 12:30

Hello everyone.  My first time posting here.  I have really enjoyed reading several of the posts, great info.

Here is my dilemma:  I am wanting to get a scope for my Marlin 336C .35 Remington.  I have narrowed it down to the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40, Bushnell Elite 3200 with Rainguard 3-9x40, or the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42.  A laughable reason for these selections is that I want a gloss scope to match my rifle, just a personal preference.  I also would like to stay under $400.00.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  As far as my hunting conditions go, I hunt everything from thick trees/brush to open cornfields/pasture.  I will not be shooting over 200 yards simply because of the limitations of the rifle.  I'd expect most of my shots to be 50-150 yards.  Also, any recommendations on scope mounts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 13:22
Corky.............Because you want a gloss finish, your selection of scopes is greatly reduced. Too bad the Elite 4200`s (my favorite for the dollars), are not available in gloss!!! Your 3 choices above are all very good selections. Unfortunately and to be very honest, those magnifications are to high for your rifle`s caliber and terrain conditions!!.........As long as you wish to maintain a gloss finish, I will suggest to you what I think would be a better choice for your rifle than either of the above three. I am going against my usual grain here, so when some of the others read this, they better not be drinking something while on their computer, as it might get messy. They may also need some oxygen and a heart monitor!!........................In this case, I would seriously consider the 2-7X28 Leupold VX11 Ultra Lite (gloss) at $320.   Why? It is lighter, the magnifications are better suited to your rifle and terrain conditions, AND you get that legendary gold ring too. In reality, for your hunting and the yardage for your shots, you will never need or use a 9X or 10X. At the most you will be using 4X or 5X when hunting!!!............You may also want to consider a fixed 4X. I didn`t check to see what is available in a fixed gloss......................Optimus Primus???? How do you like that????     Do you think King Leupold would approve??        &nb sp;   
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 13:27
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 13:37
The only real good fixed I could find is in the 4x Leupold FX11 available in gloss!!!!........
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 14:09

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

The only real good fixed I could find is in the 4x Leupold FX11 available in gloss!!!!........

And a good scope it is!

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 14:48

Just mounted a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5 on a friends 336 in 35 Rem.  Used Burris Signature rings - had to use the med height to get clearance for his hammer. Still gets good cheek weld so works ok.  Watch the height.

p.s. was a gloss finish too

God save the Empire!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 16:57
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Just mounted a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5 on a friends 336 in 35 Rem.  Used Burris Signature rings - had to use the med height to get clearance for his hammer. Still gets good cheek weld so works ok.  Watch the height.

p.s. was a gloss finish too

Just a reminder that hammer extension devices are available to reduce the amount of clearance you need. They allow you to control the hammer from the side, and they don't permanantly alter your firearm. Not sure who makes them,  B-Square maybe?

Corky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 17:47

Thanks for the info, keep it coming!  I should have mentioned that I spend a lot of time at the range where I would want the higher magnification for testing new loads.  I agree that I will probably hunt at 4 or 5x, but i'd like to have the 9 or 10x when practicing.  I'm completely bummed that the 4200 only comes in a matte finish or that would be my choice especially at its current price.  Other than some brightness/clarity differences, how does the 3200 compare to the 4200 as far as holding its zero, ruggedness, etc.?  Do you like the Bushnell over the Burris?

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 19:16
 There are plenty of guys who have used Burris products for years with high praise for them. Stay to the higher end and you'll be happy.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 21:13
LEU58590 Leupold 6x42 FX-III Riflescope                                                                                          Leupold 6x42 FX-III Riflescope
  • Gloss
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $379.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
284winguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 284winguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 04:35
 For a lever 35 & your expected distances I would look to a 2-7 pwr or lower, 1.75-6 or so. There is a Burris Signature select in lower power that should be in your price range. 
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 07:06
Second 284's thoughts.  If the rifle is primarily for hunting at the distances you mentioned, 6x is more than enough - low magnification bottom end would be more important to me especially if hunting off your legs and you jump one at close range.  The problem with trying to cover up to 10X in my view is that you may end up with a scope that overpowers the nice handling of your bush gun.  A personal choice for sure but I would try to keep the scope as small as practical.
God save the Empire!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 08:20
I agree that you don't want your optics to detract from the fine handling characteristics of a Marlin lever gun. I think something along this line http://www.swfa.com/pc-8167-627-burris-2-7x26-short-mag-rifl e-scope.aspx would be great. If you leave it at 5X you will have plenty of brightness for low light shooting and at 7X have plenty of power to see .35 cal holes on the 100 yard target.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 08:26

You have a couple problems with your choice of scopes.  If you are really going to take that gun into the woods and I mean thick woods a scope is going to be a big hindrance.  So, I would recommend QD rings, that would solve the problem, when you think the woods are going to be a big problem.  Bear hunting this past weekend would never allowed any type of rifle with a scope.  I would still be trying to get to the bear another party had bayed up.  If you insisted on a fixed scope, then a 4x with a small objective and see through mounts would provide the best of both worlds.  The profile may be low enough to take into really thick cover, but would definitely be low enough to take into what I would call regular woods and you could use the iron sights if the shot was too close up and the scope for longer distance shots.  Now, if you insist on a higher power scope for working up loads, then go to a smaller objective than 40, again to keep your profile down and still use see through sights.  Alto of people will tell you not to use the see through sights, but imo, if you are taking it into the woods and want a scope at the sametime, it is the best way to go, as the best shots in the woods will come from your iron sights.  Their argument will stem from the fact that, why put a scope on a lever action, which does have some merit.  But, now with some of the newer calibers in lever actions and newer ammo, it is hard not to want to put a scope on one.  I have a Marlin 336 with a gloss finish 4x Burris on see through mounts.  With the scope, it shoots 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

Here is a scope that should fit all of your needs:

Leupold 2-7x28 VX-II Ultralight Riflescope

Leupold 2-7x28 VX-II Ultralight Riflescope

Send this page to a friend

Specifications
Weight (oz): 9.9

Duplex

Length (in): 9.9
Eye Relief (in): 3.8 - 3
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 41.7 - 16.5
MOA: 1/4
Finish: Gloss
Ring Spacing
Max Mount Ring Spacing (in): 4.75
Front Ring Space (in): 1.47
Rear Ring Space (in): 2.15

Downloads:

< id=AddToCart_3609 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" name=AddToCart_3609 ="return validate(this) && AddToCart_3609_Validator(this)" =addtocart.aspx?returnurl=showproduct.aspx%3fproductid%3d360 9%26categoryid%3d86%26sename%3dleupold-2-7x28-vx-ii-ultralig ht-riflescope&productid=3609&variantid=3586 method=post>< = value=0 name=IsWish> < = =text/> function AddToCartForm_3609_Validator(theForm) { submitonce(theFo rm); if ((theForm.Quantity.value*1) < 1) { alert("Please specify the quantity you want to add to your cart"); the.Quantity.focus(); submitenabled(the); r eturn (false); } submitenabled(the); return (true); }

Order Here
Stock # Price Quantity  
LEU58470 $319.95 < id=Quantity size=3 value=1 name=Quantity>

Please select your free gift: < id=promo name=promo>< value=3782 ed>Leupold Free Ballistic Chart 1"< value=3750>Lens Pen & Leupold Alumina Rubber Eyepiece Guard< value=3758>Lens Pen & Leupold Alumina Threaded Lens Covers< value=3740>Lens Pen & Leupold ScopeSmith Cover< value=3707>Lens Pen & Leupold Mounting Tool< value=3693>Leupold Alumina Rubber Eyepiece & Threaded Lens Covers< value=3735>Leupold Alumina Yellow Intensifier< value=3771>Leupold Mounting Tool & Alumina Rubber Eyepiece Guard< value=3779>Leupold Mounting Tool & Alumina Threaded Lens Covers< value=3761>Leupold Mounting Tool & Scopesmith Cover< value=3788>Leupold ScopeSmith Cover & Alumina Rubber Eyepiece< value=3694>Leupold ScopeSmith Cover & Alumina Threaded Lens Covers< value=38>Leupold Standard Rings & Bases

I just realized, this is the same scope that Big Squeeze recommended.  Excellent choice.  tahqua's recommendation is also excellent, except that it is not gloss.

Edited by Dolphin
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 08:32

Dolphin recommending a Leupold?!?!?! Has the earth reversed it's orbit??

Is this yet another sign of global warming?!?!?   

You Sir, are in danger of getting booted out of the Loopie Basher Association, if your not careful.

You've been warned......  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 08:39

Sorry, I forgot about the gloss.......DOH

The Leupy is a good choice

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 13:15
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Dolphin recommending a Leupold?!?!?! Has the earth reversed it's orbit??

Is this yet another sign of global warming?!?!?   

You Sir, are in danger of getting booted out of the Loopie Basher Association, if your not careful.

You've been warned......  

I tried my best, search hi and low, but just could not find anything else that fit the bill.  Sorry guys.

Corky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 21:40
Thanks for the advice everyone.  Great input!  I'm going to throw a wrinkle into this.  I love my Marlin .35 so much that I am going to buy another one.  The new rifle will become my "open sights" rifle.  I have noticed that the Leupold is a popular suggestion.  I am not particularly fond of Leupolds for some reason.  I have looked through most of there scopes and was not impressed when comparing them to Nikon or Zeiss.  I am very intrigued by the Bushnell Elite 3200 because of the Rainguard feature.  Going off some previous advice, i'd need to go with the medium height rings.  Since I will not be using the open sights i would prefer to go with a 40mm for light gathering reasons.  With all that being said, is the 3200 a good choice or would the Leupold still be the recommendation?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 21:57
I have a 4200 4-16x40 that I am quite fond of currently mounted on a 50 cal Omega musket - I hunt from a stand so I enjoy the added power to examine the rack on deer on my property to decide if I want to take a specific animal or not. I think that if you go bushnell you go 4200 series however there is a lot to be said for a fixed 6x42 Leupold with a 7mm exit eye pupil --- that is as bright as it gets ---- so I stick by my Leupold 6x42 suggestion however I will say that there are some 1.5-6x42 scopes that are worth a look but more money - should be some Kahles on samplelist.  As far as rugged durability the fixed 6x and fixed 4x Leupolds have weathered the test of time and the one I suggested should be a very nice scope. You might also want to look at the 3-9x40 Zeiss it has a lot of fans. With a 3-9 as it gets dark dial it down to 6x and it will brighten right up  same same with a 4-16x40  4200.  I understand that a lot of guys think these big scopes are too big for a brush gun but I think you could get away with that 6x42 Leupold and it comes in gloss and should be tough as nails.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic