OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308ENCORE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4200
    Posted: November/21/2007 at 16:05
looking for a good low light scope for hunting mostly in woods probably a shot never over a 100 yds.thought about the 1.5-6x36;3-9x40;2.5-10x40.Is there any difference in glass of the ones listed?
1 Shot
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 16:11

Originally posted by 308ENCORE 308ENCORE wrote:

looking for a good low light scope for hunting mostly in woods probably a shot never over a 100 yds.thought about the 1.5-6x36;3-9x40;2.5-10x40.Is there any difference in glass of the ones listed?

Welcome to The OT!!

No Sir, the optical quality of all the 4200 Elites should be the same. Good choice!!

The 4200's have quite a big following around here.....They should be here shortly......

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 16:45

Hey Nikon makes some good ones as well. Right Cheaptrick? Honestly there are some real good options out there, 4200 is definitely up there, hard to beat for the money. Do yourself a favor and look at IOR, Nikon, Zeiss, Sightron and compare I love the 4200 but there may be one you like better. Best of luck,

WELCOME to the OT 

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
308ENCORE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308ENCORE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 16:50

I have an sightron SII but figured the 4200 would be better in late afternoon.

1 Shot
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 16:53
Yes it is better but slightly, you may barely notice the difference. But hey an advantage is an advantage.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 16:55

Yeah, there are a lot of the low powered variables these days.

Koshkin has done some extensive research with the low powered scopes and his opinion, albeit EVIL , is worthy of consideration as well. 

IIRC, he has praised the lower "amped" 4200's.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 18:08

I have 2  of the 1.5x6's , 2 of the 2.5x10 x40's  and a 2.5x10x50---awesome stuff and a great value. Excellent optical clarity ( especially for the money ) and the Rainguard can be a hunt saver. None have ever lost a zero, and all have performed as designed. "Never a shot over  100 yd,s"    ---- any possiblity over over 100 ? then  go for the 3x9 or 2.5x10.....I believe the 1.5x6 has been discontinued  ( any verification  Mr Farris ?)...and may be hard to find  ..

welcome to the OT

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 19:35
buy a kahles skip the 4200 you wont be sorry
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
308ENCORE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308ENCORE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 19:59
I've had a fullfield II on it and now have a whitetail expedition on it.(1.5-6x32)Anyone use the 4200 in 1.5-6x36.It seems like I see more deer around here in the woods right before dark.Alot of times walking right by my stand to 30 yds.
1 Shot
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 20:25
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

buy a kahles skip the 4200 you wont be sorry
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 20:29
Hey there Pyro!!!!...................I think that you should go buy a .270!!! You won`t be sorry!!!            
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 21:23

I used the 1.5 x6  on a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 on a bear hunt in Canada last year. Optically it got the job done. I got one as the sun was setting on a crappy, rainy day ( that proved the value of Rainguard) . The reticle stood out well enough also on the black hide of the bear. I haven't tried the firefly reticle, so I can't compare it to the regular one.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 21:25

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Hey there Pyro!!!!...................I think that you should go buy a .270!!! You won`t be sorry!!!            

alright i will do you one better there squeezer, you buy a kahles kx and i will go by a wby vanguard sub moa in a .270 win and put i will put a 4200 on it hows that sound???

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 21:36
You`re on!!!!!.........I will need to buy a .375 for my upcoming `09 or `10 African trip.......I think Kahles are great scopes. You don`t have to sell me on them! However! The reverse is true with you! You are not sold on the 4200!! You are still stuck in the Bushnell days of old!!...........You don`t have to buy a .270!! Too much punishment for you!! Just the 4200 will be fine!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 21:38

i did make that promise to the ot some time ago that i would buy a 4200 at some point in time, i wouldnt mind having a new scope for my browning abolt 300wsm to replace my ffii thats on there now, so ok its a deal!

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 21:48
There was someone on another thread (comparing the 4200 to the Select) who bought a Burris Sig. Select and regreted doing so.......The 4200 will be an upgrade from your FF11............
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 22:30

K I have both the Conquest and the 4200 Elite.  The Conquest was able to pull in a bit (by a bit we are talking very very minimal) more light when doing a comparison side by side looking in a vineyard after dusk. 

Both are fine scopes.  Don't let the Bushnell name fool you it's not the cheap junk they are known for.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

308ENCORE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308ENCORE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 00:31
How do you like the firefly?
1 Shot
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 01:32
I don`t have the firefly on my 4200, but I have read nothing but good from those who do have it!
Legs in the Air View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 08:35

I don't get the firefly concept.

Scenario: last hour of hunting, starting to get a little dim, deer should be coming out soon. So you pull out a flashlight and try to discreetly shine the light in the objective end of the scope.

Just sounds to me like a good way to draw attention to yourself. Or am I missing something? How long does a charged reticle last?

Somebody please let me know if I'm off the mark here...

Just 'cause there's clouds on the horizon doesn't mean it's gonna rain...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic