OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Another USO vs. IOR post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artifex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another USO vs. IOR post
    Posted: November/21/2007 at 13:32

I am scoping an M-25 DMR.  It's a toss-up between an IOR 2.5-10 FFP  and a USO SN-3. 

My questions to those who are knowledgeable:

Within the price range represented by those scopes, are there any other manufacturers I should be considering. (for a tactical scope) 

Side by side, I know the USO is probably a little clearer and has a bigger cool factor,  but function-wise,  within 1000 yards on a semi-automatic rifle (albeit with premium components and a well-trained, reasonably experienced shooter behind it)  is the difference really worth an extra $600 or so? 

Whence Came you?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 13:44
yes
artifex View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artifex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 13:49

Ok!  Well, a direct answer is usually the best! 

Thanks!

Whence Came you?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 13:55

I'm not totally sure that the SN-3 beats the IOR optically speaking, as I haven't seen the newer IOR's either.

My older SN-3 was better optically than both of the 2 older IOR's I owned.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 16:50
The IOR is really very good, USO might have slightly better glass but I doubt it would justify the added cost.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 04:09

When your talking about glass as good as USO, S&B, Nightforce, and IOR, you really can't compare clarity or which one has better glass.  I bet if you put each scope in a box with only the eyepiece and objectives sticking out of a hole so you could look through them, you probably would not be able to tell which one is which.  The extra cost of the USO is more for it's options, such as FFP, more reticle choices, ability to match your reticle and adjustment knobs MIL reticle/MIL knobs, MOA reticle/MOA knobs, EREK elevation knobs if you choose to get them will get your .308 out to 1000 yards in two turns, tough as nails.  Some IOR's offer just as many options as well but if you can't justify the cost of the USO then get the IOR you'll probably be just as happy.  USO's would probably win out in the toughnes/ ability to handle abuse department, but not by much.  For some it's enough to justify the extra cost.

Edited by Mithran
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
Critter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 08:53
USO and S&B in my view are in a totally different class.

Both are intended to be essentially bullet proof functionally. If you need a basic scope then S&B is excellent.

If you want special knob, reticle, configuration or any combination thereof, then USO offers the ability to configure as you see fit. People that haven't had a chance to use USO in the field, have no idea of the advantage. Problem is once you have one, the others pale in comparison.

Take this one in the picture for example. If you understand the functionality of this scope then you need to look seriously at USO program, otherwise proceed as before. This is a tactical configuration of the 3.8-22 x58 SN-3 with a 35 mm tube and EREK .25 knob.

You might inquire of those other manufacturer's what their price on such a device might be.

Edited by Critter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 08:18

That's a nice rig, Critter.

lobster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 12:54
Very informative post Critter Thanks for educating me just alittle more than I was b 4. I am still wanting to know more about the EREK.25 knob. I will be checking out thier web site .
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 21:15
I've compared IOR to Nightforce to USO - all side-by-side.  USO, by far, better clarity, Nightforce next, IOR last of the 3 - but still much beter than almost anything else out there.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ServiceRifle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServiceRifle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 17:32
I agree USO is a far better scope
greentimber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greentimber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 05:37
I have both of the scopes you mentioned. The USO is significantly superior. The new IOR 3-18 Snipershide.com edition narrows this gap somewhat, but the USO is still on top. The SH edition is MUCH more bang for the buck compared to the older designs.
RLTW
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 06:58
All scope glass can be compared, just ask ILya. May take acuity and contrast charts and some dedicated time at dusk and dawn. If its extremely close might take some of his equipment. The nightforce - IOR - and US Optics is an interesting comparison......the best owens corning US glass against some of the best japanese and euro glass. I am assuming the IOR uses euro manufactured glass. I would be more interested how the US Optics glass measured up against the top of the line zeiss and swaro glass, don't think I've yet seen anyone make a comparison of the very best lenses money can buy.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 09:47
check out sniperhide they do it everyother day.
killadeaux View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killadeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2007 at 22:16
I recently purchasrd an IOR Valdada 6x24x50 with illuminated reticle. My problem is that the reticle when illuminate at even  the lowest setting prevevent the target being seen because of the brightness of the light. The variable power ring is very difficult to turn. Has any addressed these problems with the manufactuter and what was the answer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 06:57
Welcome to The OT, killadeaux.

I too thought my IOR w/ a lit MP-8 reticle was crappy for the same reasons you cited.  
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 07:03
I don't recall ever having that issue with mine. I don't have it now but that would have certainly stock out in my mind. I remember the paralax being a tad stiff compared to the Bushnell but it was also about 25 degrees outside.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
timmy d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 13:56

I would definitely recommend the USO or Night Force over the IOR.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2007 at 18:59
I had the SH IOR 3-18 - for all of 2 weeks.  I liked the glass, I didn't like that IOR screwed up the numbering on the elevation turret, I liked the clicks on the windage, I did not like the clicks on the elevation, I did not like the Customer Service with IOR (or, rather, the "answering machine" which they substitute for "Customer Service", and I don't like that issues with the scope are handled in Romania.

It is a good, "bang for the buck" scope - assuming nothing ever goes wrong with it.  if something does go wrong, be ready to pay the Piper for going with a  higher "bang for buck" ratio.

It is a good scope and I  can't say too much bad, other than I had it, saw some things I didn't like, and got rid of it for another USO. I immediately had an issue with the USO (something the seller didn't disclose but worked out great for me) and had the scope off and back in about 2 weeks.

I couldn't be more happy with the Customer Service of the premium scope manufacturers; it would be difficult for me to be less pleased with IOR's service.

And the knobs are still wrong - and the replacement knobs are still not in - after 6 months.  Buy IOR at your own risk.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic