OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why arent 8x50 bino’s more popular?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 13:22
Oh, twilight factor is one of the more useless terms I've ever heard.  Do a  search.  This has been discussed many times.

ILya
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 14:00
wow  guess we need to end this thread/......boy has it gotten off on the wrong foot

all i asked was foe feedback on 8x50 but i guess this isnt the place or no one tries 8x50's

sorry for the confusion

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 15:32
windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 08:52
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

Sako

Please compare a high magnified scope with 50-56mm objective to a 8X.

You will fairly soon realize that you cannot see anything in the high magnified scope unless it's very good light outside.

Instead of arguing, try it.

Within optics people there is never meantioned the twilight factor as everyone knows from their own experince that it's just nonsence.

Regards TEchnika

I agree, as the magnification increases, the FOV decreases and so the straw or peephole you look through to see reality is smaller because less light is now available to magnify.

Even though the power is higher, the amount of light "magnified" is less, so light transmission qualities get negated from having less light to work with.

If you've ever played with a camera, you will see as the telephoto increases power, so the F-stops change as less light enters the lens.

But I noticed by going to 50mm, you really increase weight and size.. the bino will also be taller to accommodate the larger lens's focal distance, so your short distance focus abilities will be less.

The short distance focal range of a 10 X 50 Swarovski was 16 feet, by dropping to a 42mm lens, it dropped to 8 feet.... maybe not a concern for long distance use only.

The only reason I see for going with 50mm is if you need the extra exit pupil for the magnification you feel you must have.... but if you can settle for less power, you can keep the same exit pupil with a smaller mm lens and gain other advantages too, like more stability, FOV, and depth of field.

If you can't keep the image still because your power is too high, your brain will actually interpret less info anyway.

Edited by windstrings - November/27/2007 at 09:03
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 16:06
Sako,
I own an 8X50 Leica Trinovid.  It's a superb binocular optically and I love it, but damn, it's heavy and bulky!  I use it primarily for deer hunting out of a blind.  It has great low light performance, but not that much better than my 8X42 Vortex Razor, which is also excellent in low light.  For everyday use, I pretty much gravitate to the 8X42 or my Kahles 10X42 because at the end of a long day, I don't feel like I've been carrying a brick around my neck.  The bottom line is that although there is an advantage in light transmission with the 8X50, 8X42 seems to be a reasonable compromise between exit pupil, size, weight, and magnification.  Evidently, a sufficient number of people recognize this to the point the optics manufacturers are just making what sells.

I agree with the comments about magnification and low light.  Additional magnification is helpful for low light resolution up to a point to where the reduced FOV, reduced depth of field, and image stabilization problems from hand tremor (along with the reduced EP) with increasing magnification starts to become more of a liability than an asset.  For me, that point is beyond about 8X, and depending on the binocular, sometimes 10X.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2008 at 16:02
I agree...... high power is sweet when your only wanting to see one thing you've already spotted and have stabilization... but when it moves all over the place because you can't hold your breath for over 10 seconds when walking up a hill.. their worthless.
When I"m winded... I can hold my breath to be still, but even my heart beat will move the binos too much... I'm working on how to stop my heart for a few seconds, but my defibrillator is too heavy to carry...... since a persons brain can only go 5 seconds without oxygen.. I'm working on that.  Maybe I can hire a caddy to shock me back alive.... Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic