OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics “Newbie” looking selection help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics “Newbie” looking selection help
    Posted: November/19/2007 at 12:45

Optics “Newbie” looking for scope/mount/rings selection assistance

I have never used a scope on my Colt Sporter Rifle (Model # R6551), but my fifty plus years old eyes tell me it is time.  My experience with optics is limited, so I am looking for a few suggestions/recommendations on various brands and mounting hardware.  The amount of conflicting scope test results and opinions on optics is overwhelming to me.  I understand that Leupold has a very good reputation pertaining to their military/law enforcement models, but many sites consider the Bushnell Elite 4200 a superior scope over the Leupold VX-I.

I will do my best to provide the background and criteria needed to help you help me.  Here we go.

Please note that I am not fixed on the selection of a Leupold or Bushnell scope, they are just the names I am familiar with in my price range.  Please provide other brands if you feel they are a better value for my needs.

BACKGROUND:  I use my Colt at the range to punch paper at the “Just for Fun” level.  The distance to the target is generally 100 yards and rarely exceeds 200 yards.  The rifle is well protected and therefore I do not need (can not afford) the rugged reliability required of a scope used in military/law enforcement operations.

CRITERIA:

1. Scope package cost (scope, mount, and rings) not to exceed $500.00
  2. Repeatable zero when removed from and returned to rifle carry handle
  3. Capability to rapidly attach scope to different type rifles (separate mounts)
  4. Medium to high rings so scope will fit different rifles without configuration issues
  5. Best lens for money (more concerned with clarity and limited distortion than low-light capability)
  6. Best warranty and customer service reputation
  7. Variable power to have action for other applications

QUESTIONS:

1. Which do you consider to be the better scope for my target needs?
  2. What is your opinion/experience with the Leupold mount and rings?
  3. Does the ARMS mount and rings have enough benefit for my use to justify the additional cost over selecting the Leupold mount and rings?
  4. Would you consider using the Leupold mount and rings on the Bushnell Elite 4200 scope?
  5. For the price range (up to $500 -- $400 preferred), do you have a different scope/mount/rings that you would recommend?

PACKAGES UNDER CONSIDERATION

1.     Leupold 3-9x50 VX-I Riflescope with Leupold mount and rings

Jay
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 13:02
I have had good experience with the Leupold rings and bases and yes I would use them with the 4200 (I actually do use them with my 3-9X40 4200 on my 30/30).  They work well and have not failed me.  The 4200 you have selected is unbeatable in it's price range, easily better glass than the Leupold you are looking at and better than any Leupold for that matter.  You just don't seem to get much for what you pay with Leupold, although for your application it would work well.  Bottom line the 4200 glass is better.  In this price range the 4200 is as good as you will do.  Leupold rings and bases will work well for you as well.  In that price range I don't have any other recommendation.  The only thing I don't like about the 4200 is the wire reticle, I prefer an etched reticle any day.  The wire reticle is hard to see in sunlight it turns to a golden brown color instead of black, it's not that bad though.  For the distances you are shooting you will not need any special reticles or knobs so the 4200 looks like your best bet.  Good luck.
Robert
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 13:05
First of all, your priority is to have the best possible glass for the dollars you wish to spend. That is #1......The Elite 4200, not only exceeds the VX1, but also is better than the VX11 and VX111...............Your best answer is contained within the 3 package choices that you list........DUMP #1!!!...Go with either #2 or #3 for your best values!!......Bottom line?? The 4200 packages exceed the quality of the Leupolds VX1, 11`s, or 111`s and do so for less!!!.....Try not to fall for that gold ring hype or the name recognition!!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 13:05
And welcome to the OT.
Robert
kmad61 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmad61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 13:09
Not only is the 4200 better than the vx-1,It is better than the vx-3.The 4200 is the best scope for the money that I have seen period.I can also give high marks to the Nikon monarch which is a very nice scope.You cant go wrong with either one,I have both and love them !!!!!
Jay_57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 13:18

Thanks The Drake Taker and Big Squeeze,

I got the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40mm and Leupold mount/rings package in the "Shopping Cart" and just need payday to arrive

Do you know if the Elite 4200 3-9x40mm scope has different characteristics from the rest of the Elite 4200 line?  I am just wondering because of the price difference and magnification (line has 2.5-10x40mm) levels.

Thanks,

Jay

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 4200 Riflescope with Leupold mount and rings

a.     Elite 4200, 3-9x40mm, matte, “Multi-X” reticle - (Model #: 423944M)

b.     Mark 4 Base, matte (Model #: LEU52136)

c.     QRW 1" Rings - Matte - High - (Model: LEU49858)

Approximate cost: $340

Jay
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 13:22
No it's the same, 3-9X40 is the easiest scope size and zoom erector (3X) to manufacture and it is probably the most popular model, that is why it is so much cheaper than the other 4200's.  It is the same scope.

Edited by TheDrakeTaker
Robert
Argie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 17:31

Jay 57

You must be aware that although Leupold Quick Release rings and mounts enable you to mount and dismount and keep the zero on ONE gun, you'll have to resight the scope when you place it on a different one (as in 3)

Good luck

medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 04:09
Ditto on the 4200....I really like mine
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 05:34

Well to sound like a broken record. I would go with #3 the 4200 is very hard to beat, Plus the rain guard !!!!!

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 12:32
I would generally agree with the scope choices, but Warne mounts and QD rings would be my choice.  They are imo the most rugged and well built on the market.  The nice thing about their QD rings, is that you can pull out on the tightening lever and move the lever to any position you want after you have tightened the ring down.  I am not sure, but I do not believe there are any other models that do this.  If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.  I have them on most of my rifles, at least the mounts, with most having fixed rings and just have gone over to the QDs on the last 5 or so rifles.  The QDs are actually easier to mount than the permanent rings.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 08:57
4200 again, it is for the money the best out there. Badger, or Warne would be the mountings, Good luck to ya. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 19:38
well im not sold on the 4200 so i will tell you to buy a zeiss conquest
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 20:47
Pyro!!!........Probably because you`ve never owned a 4200 and hunted with one???? Before you know if you like a certain food, you have to be willing to give it a try!!!...You are just stuck on the `ol Bushnells of times past!!!.....I betcha that if we took both scopes, the 4200 and the Conquest, with the same recticle, with the same variable and wrapped them up so that they could not be identified, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in a side by side comparison!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 21:23

if it smells like poop im not going to eat it sorry, i trust the zeiss name a lot more than the bushnell name, they earned there stereo-type on there own by making cheapo scopes, zeiss on the other hand did the exact opposite, plus i know they stand behind there product no matter what

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 21:43
Like I said!! You are still stuck in the days of old!!..............I just got out my rifle and my Elite 4200 smells fine!! Its still black not brown!!..... No poop there! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic