OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 5.7x28 Bolt Gun?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 5.7x28 Bolt Gun?
    Posted: November/19/2007 at 07:16

Next year I plan on picking up an FN 5.7x28 bolt gun to complement my PS90's & FN57's. With the 5.7 being only a 200m+ cartridge I wondering what rugged/KISS scope would work best for shorter ranges. Suggestions? Thx!...

Tomac

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 10:10

Hello.

Do you have a set budget, Sir? 

Are you the Tomac from AR, by chance?

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 20:15
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Hello.

Do you have a set budget, Sir?

Are you the Tomac from AR, by chance?

Budget's not set in stone but I'd like to keep it at no more than $300-$400 for my needs & the limited range.

Yep, that's me! You'll find I'm registered in a number of firearms-related forums.

Tomac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 13:41

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-231-super-sniper-10x42-30mm-rifl e-scope.aspx

Have you considered the 10x Super Sniper?

I've enjoyed reading your commentary over at Accurate Reloading

Glad your here!

Edited by cheaptrick
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 18:36

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-231-super-sniper-10x42-30mm-rifl e-scope.aspx

Have you considered the 10x Super Sniper?

I've enjoyed reading your commentary over at Accurate Reloading

Glad your here!

If the 5.7x28 had more range then the SS would be a prime candidate. However, I think 10x would be counter-productive for ranges less than 300m.

Sorry, when you first posted AR I thought you meant ARRCOM (AR15.com), so apparently someone else is using "Tomac" at AR.

Tomac

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 17:23
What sort of bolt gun are we talking about?  I assume it would be something fairly small and compact? Can't think who makes rifles chambered in that round. Sounds like a good pest-control problem-solver though....
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 17:42

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

What sort of bolt gun are we talking about?  I assume it would be something fairly small and compact? Can't think who makes rifles chambered in that round. Sounds like a good pest-control problem-solver though....

IIRC FN will be releasing it next year based on the Winchester Model 70 short action.

Tomac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 18:01
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 18:27
 Alright then, it will be a more-or less full-size rifle platform, so a more-or-less medium -sized scope is in order here. Cheaptrick' s suggestions for those two variables would probably be nearly ideal. Might I also add a fixed 4x or 6x (IOR ?) for your consideration?
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 18:32

Alright then, it will be a more-or less full-size rifle platform, so a more-or-less medium -sized scope is in order here. Cheaptrick' s suggestions for those two variables would probably be nearly ideal. Might I also add a fixed 4x or 6x (IOR ?) for your consideration?

I love the IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical. However, since this is the first time I've looked into scoping what is essentially a short-range rifle would 3-9x be too powerful for a cartridge with a listed max effective range of 200m (out of the P90's 10" bbl, I'm hoping for greater effective range from the bolt-gun)? Hence my initial interest in a lower-powered variable. However, I will gladly bow to the much greater experience of others for this project so keep the suggestions coming, I appreciate all input.

Tomac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 18:42
Are you shooting "movers" or just paper??
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 20:09

The bullet's tiny size and light weight will make it very susceptible to wind drift regardless of any velocity gain you attain with the rifle-length barrel. I doubt it will be very effective on anything much beyond 200 yards, but a lot of fun on small critters within that range.

Edited to add:  You mentioned the IOR 2.5-10x Tactical. I have one and love it but it is more than twice your budget.

Edited by RONK
Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 03:52

Are you shooting "movers" or just paper??

Mostly one, possibly the other...

Tomac

Tomac View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 03:54

The bullet's tiny size and light weight will make it very susceptible to wind drift regardless of any velocity gain you attain with the rifle-length barrel. I doubt it will be very effective on anything much beyond 200 yards, but a lot of fun on small critters within that range.

Edited to add:  You mentioned the IOR 2.5-10x Tactical. I have one and love it but it is more than twice your budget.

Agreed. I prefer the heavier SS197 load w/the Hornady 40gr V-Max bullet for better velocity/energy retention down range. Also agreed on the IOR but I keep wondering if such a high magnification is overkill w/a possible 200yd max effective range.

Tomac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 04:06

Just dial it down to 2.5x on the IOR 2.5-10, or 3x on the suggested 3-9x.  

I shoot occasionally at a range with a max distance of 110 yards with a .308 bolt gun and a 10x SS. No problems. I can even dial the parallax down and shoot 25 yards, if I wish.  

I said that because I'm not tracking why you keep saying 10x is "over kill for a 200m rifle". 

I'm a big advocate of the less is more theory, but I don't understand your comments, Brother.

Maybe you should consider a Eotech or an Aimpoint, both with 1x. 

Edited by cheaptrick
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 08:56
Cheaptrick's correct in saying that 10x is not overkill for paper targets at 200 or even 25 yards as long as you can focus  your scope to the shorter distances. That is why he asked if you were shooting at "movers", which require lower magnifications with their wider fields of view. Many benchrest shooters use 30x and 40x magifications at relatively short ranges because a static paper target will eventually be found in the scope from sandbags. If you get a variable you would sort of get the best of both worlds, within reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic