OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anyone use Pentax scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone use Pentax scopes?
    Posted: October/21/2004 at 20:04
Interested in what people think of Pentax scopes. I looked a lightseeker XL 2-10x50 today and it seemed very bright and clear. I have a Vari X III 3.5-10x50. How does it compare? Also what is the difference in the lightseeker and lightseeker XL models. One last thing, I read somewhere Burris makes the pentax scopes. Correct?

thanks for the input

david 
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 20:41

Pentax makes very good scopes that are assembled by Burris.  Ok, they are a Burris with Pentax glass.  I think the Pentax is a better scope then Leupold.

ranburr

MississippiDave View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2004 at 08:00
thanks for the input ranburr
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2004 at 16:14
I have a 3-9 x42 Pentax Lightseeker.  This is one great glass.  I believe it is assembled by Burris (as others have stated) but they use proprietary lens coatings....7 coatings I believe.  I know this, it is extremely bright, clear and tough.  They aren't cheap anymore though.  I highly recommend it anyway.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2004 at 18:38
a local gun shop has a XL 2-10x50 for $500, $50 cheaper than I found it online. May get it to go on a Ruger MK77 25-06. 
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2004 at 19:14

Mississippi:

I just got a Pentax Whitetails Unlimited for my .308.  Its a great scope.  The thing is very well made, has a solid feel to it.  The optics are great, I didn't get it on the rifle during hunting season but I took it out one evening and it really pulls in the light I could see things much brighter through the scope than with plain eyes.  The lens are very clear and crisp. The Whitetails is their mid range scope with the LightSeeker at the top, I would imagine that it would be even brighter. 

I was torn between the Pentax and the Burris, I like to be different and went with the Pentax.  No regrets at all...they make great scopes.  As far as Leupold to Pentax, I'd still go Pentax I can't picture a Leupold being any clearer so why pay more only for a name.  True Leupold is supposed to have the best customer service so I guess one could argue that is what the extra money is for, but I've never needed to send a scope in anyways. 

There is not much info out there on the Pentax stuff, so if you decide to get one be sure to let us know what you think.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MississippiDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2004 at 21:41
thanks Acenturian

I think I'll go with the Lightseeker XL. A couple guys in my deer club use Pentax scopes because of the vary same reason you mentioned, they are very clear.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic