OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M70 mounts confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M70 mounts confusion
    Posted: November/18/2007 at 18:56
I am a first time poster who needs some information to clear up my confusion.  I need bases and rings for a new SS M70 in 270 WSM. The rear bridge is smaller than my other M70's so a reversible base will only fit one way.  I have a M70 in 243 WSSM that has nonreversible bases.  Would the two rifles both take the same nonreversible bases?  I have noticed that bases for the WSSM rifle is listed as being different in some of the charts.  I would really like to get silver dual dovetail bases.  Can anyone please help me clear up this situation with some specific numbers to order?  I will be mounting a Leupold VXII with a 40mm objective.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 20:05

I've run into this with a Kimber 8400, thinking that since it's basically a Model 70, bases for a Model 70 should work just fine. Stupid me. Not even close.

If I were you, I'd order every base that might work and return the others. Somebody here knows the right answer though, so just wait a day or two and it will be revealed to you....

Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 05:49

Sounds alittle like my gun. Maybe theres more to this

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 17:18
Originally posted by Pooreyes-2 Pooreyes-2 wrote:

Sounds alittle like my gun. Maybe theres more to this

Could be.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 17:23

Welcome to The OT, charlie.

I'm going to move this thread up to the Rings Forum. It will get more traffic there and hopefully get your problem solved, my friend.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
charlie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 20:47
Thanks.  I suppose I did post it in the wrong place.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 11:18

Originally posted by charlie charlie wrote:

Thanks.  I suppose I did post it in the wrong place.

No worries....More traffic in this forum.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
charlie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 19:03
I think I have it somewhat straight.  I have 4 different configurations on my various M70's.  The standard action has a fairly long rear bridge that allows the reversable rear bases to reverse without hitting the bolt or overhanging the rear bridge. The action for a .270 WSM has a shorter bridge that does not allow the reversable rear base to clear the bolt if the ring end is mounted to the rear.  The reversable rear base hangs over the end of the bridge if it is mounted so that the rings are to the front. It does have the same hole spacing that the standard has.  I got a set of standard dual dovetail mounts that are nonreversable and that do not hang over the end of the bridge. The action for a .375 H&H has a small rear bridge and has hole spacing that is not the same as the standard action.  I have a quick rekease mount on it that hangs over the front of the rear bridge.  A .243 WSSM has a rear hole spacing that is also smaller than that of a standard action.  I have not measured to see if it is the same as for the .375 H&H.  I mounted  nonreversable bases that are smaller than the bridges.  The standard actions need a front extension ring to mount a 40mm objective scope.  The WSM and WSSM do not.  I am not too fond of having the base overhang the front of the rear bridge on the quick release mounts on the .375 H&H and may have to get something besides Leupold bases in order to get away from that situation. 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 20:03
It can be a bit confusing, can't it?
Ring Master View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Master of the Rings

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ring Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 23:07
Right from the Warne cheat sheet:

Winchester M70 with .860 Rear hole spacing, M670, M770, M70WSM take Warne Base set M902/924M. 

Winchester M70 WSSM take Warne Base set
M902/903M

The M903M is captive to the M70 WSSM only with a RHS .500.

RM

Edited by Ring Master - March/07/2008 at 23:10
Ron
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic