OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

GPS untis for hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS untis for hunting
    Posted: November/18/2007 at 17:07

Hey you guys I am wanting to get a GPS unit fro deer hunting and traveling back and fourth in the woods. Also I would like to use it to mark properties that I hunt.

I dont think I need the top of the line, but I want to make sure I get one that will do what I need it too.Also it has to be easy to use. 

Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 17:24

Here are a couple I am looking at. If you know of anything better, please share..

Garmin® GPS 72

Garmin® GPS 72
Waterproof, easy to use, and it floats, the perfect GPS for land and water adventures. The GPS 72 is preloaded with marine navigation aids like lights, buoys, day beacons, and more to help you find your way around the water. Preloaded with worldwide cities as well, the 72 helps you around land as well. Helping outdoors enthusiasts even more, this handy GPS unit has built-in celestial data, tide information, sunrise and sunset times, and a hunting and fishing calendar. And once you get some place, the 72 can help you get there again in the future, allowing you to save up to 500 of your favorite places in its memory. Comes with a wrist strap, quick start guide, and preloaded with the Marine Point Database. WAAS accuracy enhanced.

Garmin GPS 72 features:
  • Built-in city point database
  • 1 MB for optionaldownloadedpoints of interest
  • 120 x 160 pixels
  • 2.7"W x 6.2"H x 1.2"D
  • Waterproof and it floats
  • WAAS enabled
  • Runs 16 hours on 2 AAbatteries (not included)

Garmin® eTrex® Legend GPS

Garmin® eTrex® Legend GPS
The rugged eTrex Legend GPS features a built-in detailed base map that includes lakes, rivers, cities, interstates, highways and coastlines of North, South and Central America. Ideal for your camping, canoeing, hiking or road trips, the Legend is accurate to less than 3 meters when receiving WAAS corrections. Loaded with 8 megabytes of memory, there is room to save up to 500 waypoints, 20 routes with 50 waypoints each and it contains slots for 10 saved tracks. Weighing in at only 5.3 ounces, you’ll hardly notice this waterproof GPS in your pocket or clipped onto your belt.

Garmin eTrex Legend GPS features:
  • Built-in detailed basemap
  • 8 MB for optional downloaded maps
  • 160 x 288 pixels
  • 4.4" H x 2 " W x 1.2 " D
  • Runs 18 hours on 2 AA batteries (not included)
  • WAAS-enabled
  • Great for camping, canoeing, and fishing

Garmin® eTrex® Vista GPS Unit

Garmin® eTrex® Vista
All of the features of the popular eTrex Summit and much more! Powerful 12-channel receiver and user-friendly software make this waterproof handheld model one of the best. The Vista comes ready for the great outdoors, sporting a barometric altimeter, an electronic compass, preloaded Americas basemap, and 24MB of internal memory for map data expansion. Expect lots of navigation aids with the Americas basemap, which contains lakes, rivers, cities, interstates, national and state highways, railroads and coastlines. Comes preloaded with the Marine Point Database and Americas Highways basemaps, PC interface cable, wrist strap, and quick start guide. WAAS accuracy enhanced.

Garmin eTrex Vista GPS features:
  • High-resolution 288x160 pixel liquid crystal display
  • Rocker switch for easy map mapping and selection/enter functions
  • Quick processing speed
  • 24 megabytes of built-in memory
  • Built-in North, South and Central American Basemap
  • Full-feature navigation capabilities
  • Built-in barometric altimeter and electronic compass
  • Satellite status, navigation display and mapping
  • Automatic track and elevation log
  • 4.4" x 2" x 1.2"
  • Uses 2 AA batteries (not included)

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 12:24

I've been using the Garmin Rino (Radio with Integrated Navigation for Outdoors) series units ever since they came out, and have been totally satisfied with them.  They combine a full featured GPS unit with a 2-way radio and many other features, and you can actually "beam" your position to other Rino users with the press of a button.  For instance, say you're injured and need help.  Simply call on the radio and say "I need help; here I am" and your position immediately appears on other Rino users maps if they are tuned into the same radio channel.  They then select your position as a waypoint and go right to you with no other information needed.  Want to communicate a good hunting spot or a rendezvous point to a buddy silently?  Just send a text message saying "go here," (you can send text messages with the 130 and 530) followed by the coordinates with the press of a button.  With the polling feature turned on, you can also track the movements of other Rino users in your group in real time with the press of a button.

I'm currently using the Rino 530, which has a color screen, more memory for map storage than the other Rino series units, turn by turn auto routing (if you have detailed street maps software loaded), barometric altimeter, and longer transmission range on the radio than the other units.  I also own a Rino 120 and did have the 130 prior to upgrading to the 530.  The newest version of the Rino 530, the 530HCX, also has a more sensitive GPS receiver and detachable memory card slot.  Even if you don't use the Rino for sending your coordinates to other Rino users, you still combine a very good 2-way radio and GPS into a single unit, so you save $ if you'd planned to buy both a radio and GPS anyway.  The Rino 130 and 530 units also include NOAA weather channels on the radio as well as a severe weather alerting feature.  It's just a do everything outdoor tool that, combined with it's communication, position transmitting, and weather monitoring features, can also be a lifesaving tool as well.  The Rino 530 is pretty expensive, but it has a ton of useful features too numerous to list here.  But, if you don't want to spend that kind of money, the Rino 130 is more reasonably priced, though less capable and doesn't have the color screen or transmitting power.

If you consider the Garmin Rino, I would encourage you to get either the Rino 130 or 530 530 HCX, which unlike the other units (110, 120, 520) have the digital compass which, like a standard compass gives your heading even if you're not moving.  Both also include the NOAA weather channels, a very helpful feature.  It sounds like they would be complicated to use, but the instructions are straightforward and once you get out and use it, it's pretty easy to learn.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/rinoseries

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 16:55

I have several Garmin units and think the  eTrex Legend with 8 MB is the minimum.

Better yet, step up to the LegendCx. You will get eight times the memory with color display and it uses a microSD card. It is approximately a $100 more and worth it.

I have owned many GPS units in the last 12 years and the Garmins have never been a problem for me. We have them in all of our vehicles, also. When loaded with topographical maps they make off road travel easy.

Doug

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 05:38

Thanks for the info you guys. I'll take a look at the ones you both talked about.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 06:12

Hey has anyone used a lowrance? Look at the modle

Lowrance iFinder® Hunt C GPS Unit

Lowrance iFinder® Hunt™ C GPS Unit
Designed for hunters by hunters, the Lowrance iFinder Hunt C handheld unit allows you to affordably follow big game in living color with 16-channel GPS precision! Rugged, dependable and sporting a sleek Realtree Hardwoods® HD™ look, this easy-to-use GPS unit is equipped with a built-in electronic compass, barometric altimeter with weather predictions, a microphone for recording voice notes, MP3 player and the unique ''Scout Mode'' which allows you to mark area perimeters and create borders. Capable of storing up to 1,000 waypoints, 1,000 event markers and 100 routes, this precise handheld receiver features exclusive, hunting-specific graphic icons for marking tree stands, game signs, ATVs and vehicles.

iFinder® Hunt C Features:
  • 240V x 160H pixel high-resolution 256-color TFT display with advanced white LED backlighting
  • Watertight, with Sure-Grip rubber welt seal; waterproof to IPX7 standards
  • Encased in sleek Realtree Hardwoods HD camo case with easy-to-use one-handed operation
  • Built-in electronic compass and barometric altimeter
  • Compatible with MapCreate™, Navionics®, and FreedomMaps™ plug-and-play electronic map options
  • Internal memory stores up to 1000 waypoints, 1000 event markers, and 100 routes
  • 40 map zoom ranges, 0.02 – 4,000 miles
  • 63 graphic icons plus 17 hunting-specific icons
  • Dual processors for higher speed screen updates and scrolling
  • Zoom range under one mile is shown in yards for shooting distances
  • Up to 12 hours of operation on two AA batteries (not included)
  • Cigarette lighter power adapter for use in vehicle or on ATV
  • Manufacturer's full 1-year warranty
  • 2.5''W x 5.6''H x 0.9''D

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 06:14

The only thing I dont like about this one is the batteries !!!! only a 12 hour live!!!!!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 09:28

Short battery life is typical of all GPS units.  12 hours is actually about average.  That's another thing I like about the Garmin Rino 530 -- it has a NiCad rechargeable battery.  I just plug it into the cigarette lighter in my truck overnight and the next day, I'm good to go.  It also gives me a couple days' worth of battery life once charged.

I don't care for Lowrance units myself.  A friend of mine has one, and it doesn't have very good basemap, poor screen resolution, and not very many features.  I just stick to Garmin.  They are the world leader in GPS technology and there's plenty of aftermarket software available for Garmin that doesn't work with other brands.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 11:32
Garmin is the best, Mine is eight years old and still great.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 04:32

After going to Bass Proand looking at a few units. I went a head with

the  Lowrance iFinder® Hunt C GPS Unit I know everone here liked the

garmin and I liked most of their untis also.But for the price and all it had

was the main factor.... So after afew weeks in the woods.I'll give you a

update on this unit.

Thanks for all the help you all 

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2007 at 06:31

One of my hunting buddies swears by Lowrance, I hope your purchase works out as well for you. Yes keep us posted.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic