OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

NEED HELP IN BUYING RIFLESCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP IN BUYING RIFLESCOPE
    Posted: November/17/2007 at 22:48

I  AM GOING TO BUY A NEW RIFLESCOPE,BUT I DON;T KNOW A WHOLE ALOT ABOUT THEM.I PURCHASED A REM.MODEL 700 IN. 270 WIN. CALIBER.I HAVE ABOUT $400 DOLLARS OR SO ,TO PUT INTO ONE.I AM GOING TO BE DEER HUNTING WITH IT.I NEED SOMETHING THAT STAYS  SET AFTER YOU SET IT UP.MY FARTHEST SHOT WILL BE ABOUT 300  YARDS/I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS BRIGHT AT DUSK/I HAVE FOUR IN MIND.       1.NIKON   MONARCH 2.5---10---42

2.&nbs p; LEOPOLD V II   OR  VIII   3--9--40  OR 3--10--40

3. BUSHNELL  4200   3--9--40  OR 2.5--10---40 

4. ZEISS    CONQUESS  3--9--40

ANY BODY   THAT HAS THESE RIFLESCOPES  CAN THEY HELP ME.HOW DO YOU RANK THE CUSTOMER SERVICE ON THESE, IF FOR SOME ODD REASON I HAVE PROBLEMS DOWN THE ROAD AND THE WARRANTY. HOW WOULD YOU RANK THESE RIFLESCOPES ACCORDING  TO CLARITY,BRIGHTNESS  AND CONTRAST/WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST RINGS AND BASES  FOR THESE SCOPES/

I AM NEW TO THE FORUM

countryboy appreciates
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 01:17
Go either with Zeiss Conquest or Elite 4200.  These two would be the best in terms of performance. 

Warranty and customer service are the best with Leupold and Zeiss.  Nikon customer service is notoriously bad.  Bushnell is in between: I've heard both good and bad, but more good.

Keep in mind that high quality rings/bases are just as important as the scope, so if $400 is the total budget for everything, I would go with Elite 4200 3-9x40 or 2.5-10x40 and spend the rest of the money on god mounts (Warne makes inexpensive and high quality stuff).

ILya

rooshooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 04:07
sorry to momentarily hi-jack this thread countryboy, but koshkin can you qualify your statement about good rings and bases being just as important as the scope. i've read this same thought on countless other threads but no one qualifies what they mean?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 06:38

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1525-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle- scope.aspx

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x with Z Plex reticle.

(My choice.)

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x with Multi X reticle.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8759-218-nikon-25-10x42-monarch-rifle scope.aspx

2.5-10x New Nikon Monarch with Nikoplex reticle.

3 good choices.

I left out the Leupold VXIII ONLY because it's a little outside your budget of $400.

I haven't so much as seen the "new" Nikon Monarch yet, so take that into account.

http://www.swfa.com/c-1746-warne-maxima-rings.aspx

Warne rings.

I would also consider Talley mounts too.

http://www.swfa.com/c-67-talley-mounts.aspx

I'm thinking the 3-9x Zeiss Conquest with the Talley 1 Piece LW Aluminum mount.

That set up would be strong, but light weight, cost effective, and great performance for the money!

Welcome to The OT!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 07:00

First off Welcome to the OT....CB !!!!

Now I would go with the 4200 and if you could get your hands on just alittle more cash I would get the firefly.

Like Koshkin said the mounts and rings are what makes the rig work. I learned that the hard way three years ago when I bought my first 4200.

What can happen with a cheap set of rings or mounts?  Well how about after setting it in, the scope seems to keep on creaping backward. Yes the rings wouldnt hold the scope tight. Then when I tried to add more to the set screws two of them pulled the threads out of the bottom half of the rings.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 10:01
The 3 above choices are very good!.......The Leupolds for what you get are simply over priced and their optics are somewhat inferior to the Conquests and the 4200s. Except for a small fraction in the brightness category, the 4200 gives up absolutely nothing to the Zeiss Conquest! I compared the 3x9 Conquest to the 3x9 4200 (outside) and could not see the additional $100+ for the Zeiss. I have the 3x9 4200!..............At $259 on this site, the 4200 gives the best value for the dollar on the scope market. You will gain very little going with 2.5x10 and IMO, certainly not worth the extra $140 to do so!............At $259, go with the Elite 4200 and spend your savings on some reloading supplies or on your honey!!!!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 10:04
By the way,,,,,don`t forget about the 4200`s Rainguard lens coatings. Regardless of any weather or how harsh, you will never lose a shot because of any lens distortions......Added insurance? You bet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 10:07
The Conquest offers "fixed eye relief"......
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 10:21
Whoooopie!!!!!!!!!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 10:23

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Whoooopie!!!!!!!!!  

I knew you would like that!!

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 13:29
Oh did you now!!!!     A little super glue on the face cheeks? Can`t move a little? Love that fixed eye relief!!!......Whoooooopie!!!!    
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 13:31
i will say this in the conquests defense, i would rather have too much relief than not enough
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 13:48
Originally posted by rooshooter rooshooter wrote:

sorry to momentarily hi-jack this thread countryboy, but koshkin can you qualify your statement about good rings and bases being just as important as the scope. i've read this same thought on countless other threads but no one qualifies what they mean?

No matter how good the scope is, the mounts have to keep it in place.  If the scope moves within the mounts, there will be no consistency.  If the mounts are not solid and move, same story.  If the mounts are so out of whack that they put undue pressure on the scope tube, it can effect the zoom and other mechanical functions within the scope.  There are other scenarios as well.

ILya
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 13:52
Pyro..................He`s only shooting your favorite,,,,,A .270!!!!............Recoil or eye relief an issue with that???? C`mon now!!! That rifle is a pussy cat!!!       Not even close to the recoil of my 300 WSM compact............If someone can`t handle a 4200 on a 270????,,,,then they certainly lack the proper shooting instruction!! OR, they are wimps!  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 13:54
oh yeah i forgot, optimus may have a problem with that setup since he likes them gold rings, that give black rings!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 14:01

Eye relief-- Schmie relief-- I have 4200's on a 300 RUM, 300 Wby, 45/70  1895 set up with Buffalo Bore 405 gr rounds at 2050 fps, and a 338 win mag,.Scope has never 

brushed an eye brow-- for the money- go with the 4200  ( Conquest  is a close 2nd, with Rainguard putting the 4200 over the top value-wise)  ) and a good set of mounts . I like Leupold dual dovetail , but you could also give Warne or Talley a try. Either way - welcome to the OT and enjoy your new set-up.

On the Nikon front, I've been down the road with their customer service and it wasn't pretty.

Edited by martin3175
Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 14:02
4200 better than zeiss conquest?? your on drugs son skunk knows best
Let me give you my two scents worth
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 14:21
Pepe Lay----Peeeee U..................Stuck in your cave for awhile? Need a breath of some fresh air???........Nobody said that the 4200 is better than the Zeiss Conquest. Go back and actually "READ" the posts,, AGAIN!!!..........Comprehension must in short supply in `ol France these days!!!                                  From me to you!
Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 14:24
read i no need your  what you call hooked on phonics? you must be bored with all your cartoons you used, you related to robot super hero? rectal primus optimus?
Let me give you my two scents worth
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 14:31
Martin.........You are so right!        Eye Relief??    ........................Gimme a 4200 on a .378 w/o a brake anytime!!!!.......................    &n bsp;
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic