OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hogue Overmolded Stocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hogue Overmolded Stocks
    Posted: November/17/2007 at 13:45
Anyone have personal experience with these stocks? Pros? Cons?.......In the Dec. 07 issue of Gun`s Magazine, there is an article on the .375 Ruger Alaskan 20" barrel with the synthetic Hogue stock. This rifle isn`t pretty, but it`s not supposed to be!! It has a grabby non slip feel and is suppose to be virtually impervious to everything; cleaning oils, solvents, sweat, any weather very hot or very cold, scratches or whatever!! A real rough it type of rifle!!..........Everybody and their brother that has a big bore, has the .375 H&H. This Ruger with the 20" tube, does exceed the ballistics from a 25" .375 H&H! Not too shabby!!...........I will need a .375 for my `09 African trip and this rifle is a consideration assuming there are good reviews about the Hogue stocks!!!........ Any Hogue stock experiences out there?????
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 13:53
OOOOPS! Correction! The 20" barreled Alaskan comes to within 43 fps. of the 25" .375 H&H!!!.......Don`t want any .375 H&H owners upset with me!!!      
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 14:47
have one on an FN SPR X  used for about a year and 1/2. (4.5x14 mk4 leo on it-had to get that in). stock works great, but it must have the aluminum channel in it for rigidity. mcmillian sporters much better.
Atlas00 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atlas00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 19:21
Got one on my FN PBR XP and it seems to be doing just fine.  Very comfortable and user freindly.  Good length of pull, good drop at the heel, good recoil pad.  All things being equal, it is very competative in price and craftsmanship to all of the high dollar manufacturers.  I have dealt with all of them and dollar for dollar it is hard to beat.  You must make sure that you get the stock that has the full length aluminum bedding block though.  This particular stock provides a solid bed for the action of your rifle.  The barrel channel allows for ample room for the actual barrel to easily be free floated.  The stock is made to be a bolt on replacement for the OEM stock.  It's fit and finish on my rifle is top notch.  I originally was somewhat speculative on what type of stock this would turn out to be, but have been quite impressed so far.  I shot on a 300 yd range with this rifle and continue to average 1-2.5" groups with confidence.  At 100yds the gun produces sub-moa groups easily.  The stock definitely contributes to this accuracy.  Macmillan, H&S, and Bell & Carlson are the only other stocks that I would consider because they too make good stocks but can be quite pricey.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 11:55
Got one on my Ruger 300 wm. I like it alot for hunting especially when its cold and wet. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 21:19
Hey Cy.........Do you have one of those new Rugers with the Hogue stocks??? On Ruger`s web site, they have them now in a brown shade and a lite green shade....Is that what you have???
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 06:18

Naw it's this one here, aftermarket.

Cyborg
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 10:14
That looks like the same one that Ruger uses on their 20" barreled Alaskan .375!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 11:25
It does doesn't it. Kinda cool. Good eye there Squeeze.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 19:41
did you by chance read the review that craig boddington did on the .375 ruger?? he liked it so much he was willing to say that in a few years it would render the .375 H&H useless, i couldnt believe what i was reading and the funniest part was that in the article craig said he couldnt believe he was writing that!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 20:19
Pyro!............Yes! I did happen to read that article. The .375 Ruger is one helluva good cartridge. Ballistically, it is better than the 375 H&H and approaches the 375 RUM, and does so in a shorter 30-06 length action!!!.....I believe that as more time goes by and more press is given, the .375 Ruger no doubt, will really gain in popularity!!.....She`s a good one!!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 06:41
Someone should send this article to LARRY, make his holiday season.

Cyborg
ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 18:01
Just put one on my son's .243 Ruger 77 MKII.  Great fit, great stock.  Very comfy, and I don't think it's ugly at all.  But, I think black rifles are purdy... 

Did not change the zero at all.  Actually groups better (inside a minute) with factory ammo, probably because the barrel is free floated.  With no alteration or fitting!  Highly recommend.  What a great deal for $95 from midsouthshooters.com.  Go for it!  So much better than the original Ruger skeleton stock.  Who thought that thing up, anyway???  Now THAT was ugly. 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:25
I really like this stock for the reasons that have been stated, and the affordability is a bonus.

Cyborg
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2007 at 07:37
This month's rifle shooter has an article about the 375 Ruger. The factory Wood stocks have a "habit" of splitting at the rear of the receiver and Ruger is replacing them  on a "as needed" basis. Hogue was also brought up and they have a copy of a press release from them indicating that a few of their stocks have a similar issue, and they will replace ALL of them free of charge. All a owner has to do is contact the directly, and you can keep the old stock .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic