OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I can not find a mount for this gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I can not find a mount for this gun
    Posted: November/16/2007 at 16:10

First of all I am not sure which one of these guns I own. I bought the gun from a guy who had it listed in the newspaper. What I want to do is mount a Warne tac. rail on it. I bought two of them and both of them would not work. Here is all the info I can find from the website. Now they show two guns, But years apart. The guy I bought it from said he just bought it last hunting season brand new.

I'll take any info I can get...... Thank you

Historic Product No Longer In Production
Model
  Model 70, Laminated, Coyote, Brown , Stainless
Last Year in Catalog
Item Number
Caliber / Gauge
  308 Win.
Action Type
  Short Action
Magazine Capacity
Barrel Length
  24"
Nominal Overall Length
  44"
Nominal Length of Pull
  13 1/2"
Nominal Drop at Comb
  5/8"
Nominal Drop at Heel
  3/4"
Nominal Weight
  8 lbs. 12 oz.
Rate of Twist
  1 turn in 12"
Metal Finish
  Stainless Barrel, Blued Action
Stock / Grip
  Brown Laminate
U.S. Suggested Retail
  $734
Images, photographs, etc. shown do not necessarily represent the product in its entirety. They are shown for examples only.

Print | Close Window

Here is the other Gun

Historic Product No Longer In Production
Model
  Model 70, Laminated, Coyote, Brown , Stainless
Last Year in Catalog
Item Number
Caliber / Gauge
  308 Win.
Action Type
  Long Action
Magazine Capacity
Barrel Length
  24"
Nominal Overall Length
  44"
Nominal Length of Pull
  13 1/2"
Nominal Drop at Comb
  5/8"
Nominal Drop at Heel
  3/4"
Nominal Weight
  8 lbs. 12 oz.
Rate of Twist
  1 turn in 12"
Metal Finish
  Stainless Barrel, Blued Action
Stock / Grip
  Brown Laminate
Additional Description
  Push Feed
U.S. Suggested Retail
  $705
Images, photographs, etc. shown do not necessarily represent the product in its entirety. They are shown for examples only.

Print |

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 17:11

I would call and talk to the guys at SWFA I am sure they can put you on to a mount that fits

1-972-scope-it or 1-972-726-7248

or pm TPS_Phil

Nice guns

Duce 

Duce
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 17:48

If it is just a problem of screw holes not matching up you may be able to take the guns and mounts you have to a job shop type machine shop and have the holes drilled with the correct spaceing or find a gunsmith that can do it for you. I have done this in the past when I had the entire scope mount made when I could not find any that would fit a gun I had acquired.

Duce

Duce
ServiceRifle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServiceRifle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 19:36

On a long action Winchester Model 70 the measurements of the holes on the top of the receiver are as follows: 1st to 2nd hole - .860 1st to 3rd hole - 4.666 1st to 4th hole - 5.525 Length of mount - 6.340

On a short action Winchester Model 70 the measurements of the holes on the top of the receiver are as follows: 1st to 2nd hole - .860 1st to 3rd hole - 4.119 1st to 4th hole - 4.979 Length of mount - 5.812

So its only an issue of which correct Winchester Model 70 mount to order.  The best mounts made can be found here  www.kenfarrell.com

You can buy them with 0, 15, 20 and 40 MOA for the long action and 0, 15, 20 and 30 MOA for the short action.

Hope this helps

Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 09:22

Thanks for the help everyone. After I made the post, I went back to the website and did alittle more digging around. I think I have the long action. going to get the measurements today just to make sure. I have aset of leupy mounts on it now, But I need to be able to slide the scope back more, but I cant because it would be against the front of the bell. I am going to toss a pic of the rigup here later today, maybe after you see it.You can see what I am talking about.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 10:13

If you tell us what it is chambered for we'll be able to tell if it is a long or short action, at least if it has a factory barrel. Measure the action port length too.

You may be able to solve your mounting problem with a set of extension rings.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 10:45

Ronk it is a 308, but they made two diffrent kinds as the pics. above shows them both. One is a shorty and the 2003 The older one is a long action 308. Tired the extension rings. I didnt like the way they looked  Thanks for the info Ronk

Edited by Pooreyes-2
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 11:25
No problem. I didn't know that Winchester barrelled both short AND long actions in .308.  I know where you're coming from about the extension rings looking a bit odd. Sometimes they're the only practical solution, though.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 17:00
So neither of the tactical rails fit either of these rifles?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 17:33

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

So neither of the tactical rails fit either of these rifles?

Well I only have one rifle, and no neither rail would fit. So maybe I am ordering the wrong rail. But I have found out that my gun was made in 2005, so by what I can found out is that I have a short action gun.

I wish we had a gun dealer in the lower part of NC that had them in stock. Return shippings are high, LOL

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 20:19
Now I'm wondering if the controlled-feed actions have a different receiver profile/contour than the push-feed model? Anybody know?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 03:52

Ummm.... OK now I am some what lost. Break that down into Redneck terms please!!!!!

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 10:38

Well, Winchester Model 70s, aside from being manufactured in two different action/ receiver lengths, are also available in two diferent bolt styles, the push-feed and the controlled-round feed. The main difference is the type of extractor used. The controlled -round model uses a flat spring extractor which looks like a flat bar running along the right side of the bolt. It picks up the cartridge from the magazine as you begin to push the bolt forward, and thus allows you to extract that cartridge before it is completely chambered, should it begin to jam up for whatever reason. The push-feed models use a round bolt with a much smaller extractor at the front end, which doesn't engage the cartridge rim until it snaps over it, after the cartridge is fully chambered. The controlled -round models are generally considered a bit more reliable and are preferred by hunters of dangerous game. They will chamber a cartridge when the gun is held upside-down, should that ever become important to you.

The push-feed receivers are a little more symmetrical, and are thus considered by target shooters to be a little more conducive to fine accuracy. ( Vibration patterns, barrel harmonics, etc.)

My previous post simply raised the question of whether each of those styles required different bases, because of different top contours or not. I really don't know.

Edited by RONK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic