OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Buying a Scope...??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbrown2626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a Scope...??
    Posted: November/16/2007 at 12:44
I am purchasing a new Ruger Hawkeye M77 7mm.

I will also be in the market to purchase a new scope with this gun.  Seeing I am more of a duck hunter, or archery, I have no idea what I should be looking for.  I have however used a Leupold in the past.

I am not looking to spend a fortune on this thing either.

Please let me know what you suggest for a scope.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 12:55

Jbrown2626
                   Welcome to the OT

Now, A little more info would be helpful

1) what ranges will you be shooting?

2) what sized targets?

3)what budget would you like to stay with?

4) what cal gun will you be useing?

5) Are you set on a Leupold?

I promis you will be lead in the right direction after you answer the question.

I tend to like nikon myself.So i would sugest this one

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8767-218-nikon-3-12x42-monarch-rifles cope.aspx

Good luck with your scope hunt.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 12:59
Welcome to the OT!  I am more of a duck hunter myself, our season is right around the corner, we will need a little more information from you to help you more effectively.  How long will your shots be, what is your approximate budget, what will you be hunting, etc.  Just to get you looking, I will recommend one of the best "band for your buck" scopes that is available.  The Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40 for $260 off this site (with a free waterproof jacket by the way).  Excellent optics for the price, I don't think the 4200 is beatable at it's price.  If you plan to shoot long range you may want to bump up the magnification a little.  Forget Leupold, you don't get what you pay for with them in my opinion.  If you are willing to spend more than $260 there are other options available that we can recommend to you.  I won't use anything but a Kahles on my rifles, but it will require you to spend a good deal more money, well worth it though in my opinion.  Good luck. 
Robert
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 13:01
bigdaddy and I were responding at the same time, nothing wrong with nikon, I have used them in the past, I still would recommend the 4200 if you don't want to spend $700 or more.  Let us know what you will be doing with this gun/scope combo.
Robert
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 13:13

Originally posted by TheDrakeTaker TheDrakeTaker wrote:

bigdaddy and I were responding at the same time, nothing wrong with nikon, I have used them in the past, I still would recommend the 4200 if you don't want to spend $700 or more.  Let us know what you will be doing with this gun/scope combo.

I agree with that.there is nothing wrong with ether.Both would be awsome scopes.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 14:12
JBrown..........................Before I go shooting today, I`ll respond to this post!!.........Congrats on your M77 Hawkeye purchase. Are you getting the 7mm/08 or the 7mm Rem. Mag? Either way, a very good choice. I have the Ruger M77 Frontier Mk2, 16.5" barreled compact in the 300 WSM..........I have 2 scopes for this rifle. A 2.5X8 Nikon Monarch UCC, EER which is mounted forward of the action (scout style). The second, is the 3X9 Bushnell Elite 4200 which is mounted conventionally over the action. I switch them back and forth as needed. Both are excellent scopes and will do what is expected of them..................Without spending alot of money and buying a scope that costs as much as your rifle, your best possible choice is going to be the Elite 4200 with its Rainguard feature. They are available in 3x9, 2.5x10, and 4x16! The 3x9 is your best all round variable for just about any hunting need...........Optically, the 4200`s glass exceeds the vx111`s without the Leupold price tag. With the exception of a fraction in brightness, the 4200 is just as clear and crisp as the Zeiss Conquest. I would rate the 4200 to be slightly ahead of the Monarch as well.............Tack on the Rainguard, the 4200`s durability (recoil tested 10K rounds on a .375), outstanding glass, great in low light, and at a reasonable price, what you have is the best scope on the market for the money paid......For the bucks, no other scope will exceed the 4200!..........If you look through a Kahles or a Swaro and feel that they are worth 2 to 7 times the price of a 4200, then go with one of them. 
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 14:41
Big Squeeze is speaking the truth. I was, for many years a hard core Leupold guy, but there are better scopes out there for less money. I don't know what magnification range you need, or what kind of terrain/game you are hunting, but the Elite 4200 is the clearest/brightest scope in the $350-$400 range,(4-16X-40mm.) in my opinion. 
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 15:40
ditto --4200 Elite is a best buy
cletus85 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cletus85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 15:45
I can't comment on the Bushnell Elite 4200 except to say I hate the big writing all over them    I have scopes by Nikon, Leupold, Kahles, and Zeiss and I'd recommend the Zeiss Conquest if you don't want to pay the Kahles price.   Even though I still believe Leupold makes the most attractive scope on the market, the optics leave a lot to be desired, and are only good when compared to fairly cheap scopes in my opinion.   I have a couple that I will probably keep, but I doubt I'll buy many more unless something changes.  I've had good luck with Nikon scopes too, if the Zeiss is above your budget.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 16:09

The New Nikon Monarch is an excellent scope and the BDC reticle is awesome and very user friendly.  Make five hundred yards shots look and feel easy!  However, the Bushnell 4200 have the rainguard which is also a unique feature either way you can NOT go wrong for the money! Both excellent scopes!  Take a look for yourself.

Nikon Monarch Riflescopes

Bushnell Elite 4200 Riflescopes

Edited by Chris Farris 2
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Jbrown2626 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbrown2626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 15:20
Good lord, less than 24 hours and I had a ton of information.

I hope not to make shots any further than 250 yards.

I dont want to pay an arm and a leg- maybe 250 dollars max

As for the round, I have been advised to buy the 7 mag- I know there is a WSM but what else should I be looking for.  Again, Im more of a bird hunter and when I pig or deer hunt (out side of archery season) and decide to use a gun I usually use an Accu-Bond Round.  What is going to be the most reasonably priced round, and I also plan to hunt moose, elk, bear ect.

So many questions, I will take all the advice everyone has.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 17:28
Originally posted by Jbrown2626 Jbrown2626 wrote:

Good lord, less than 24 hours and I had a ton of information.

I hope not to make shots any further than 250 yards.

I dont want to pay an arm and a leg- maybe 250 dollars max

As for the round, I have been advised to buy the 7 mag- I know there is a WSM but what else should I be looking for.  Again, Im more of a bird hunter and when I pig or deer hunt (out side of archery season) and decide to use a gun I usually use an Accu-Bond Round.  What is going to be the most reasonably priced round, and I also plan to hunt moose, elk, bear ect.

So many questions, I will take all the advice everyone has.

I shoot a 7mag most of the time and it's a great round but IMHO if you want to shoot everything listed a 300 maybe a better fit.

I know you said you don't want to spend a lot on a scope but I just found this on the SWFA site. I haven't seen one up close and personal but if you want one rifle to do all like a 300, this scope might compliment it very nicely. The only draw back I tell is it's a little on the heavy side at 22oz.

Bushnell 2.5-10x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope

Edited by mike650
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 17:44
You go for the most versatile caliber which will be one the .30`s!!..........For your purposes, the 30 cal. will give you the best bullet weight versatility from 110 gr. up to 220 gr. and will cover anything from varmits to moose and big bears if reloaded properly.............Which one?? The `ol standby 30-06 will do nicely.....Prefer more power with flatter shooting capabilities? Based on world-wide sales #`s, the best selling 30 cal. magnum is the 300 Winchester. Had one for 35 years!......Prefer a lighter rifle in a shorter action? The 300 WSM is excellent. Got one now! Velocity is a little slower (for the 200 and 220 grainers) than the 300 Winchester Mag., but using anything up to and including the 180 grainers, the performance is the same. The 200`s or heavier, using the 300 WSM, bullwinkle or a big yogi won`t know the difference!!!......Both the 300 WSM and the 300 Winchester can be loaded up or down with great accuracy to suit any conditions or game! Although the 7mm mag`s are very capable, the 30 caliber offers much better bullet versatility for the larger game while still maintaining better down range energy ballistics...............
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 17:51
Clarification!!.... The 30 cal. magnums offer somewhat better downrange energy ballastics, using the heavier bullets, than do the 7mm mags.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 18:00

Yeah, your right, forgot about the ol' reliable 30.06!!

Got 300's on my mind, 300win, 300wsm, 300wby, 300um.

Edited by mike650
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 18:35
For JBrown`s ranges at 300 yards or less, realistically though, the 300 Wby. & RUM are too much. They have heavier recoil and are certainly more expensive to shoot. At 300 yards or less, more power that is not needed........For 30 cal. magnums, stay with the 300 Winchester or WSM!...More than adequate!!! 
Jbrown2626 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbrown2626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 19:58
I just wanted to take a second to thank you guys all for your input.  I appreciate it a lot and hope to make the best decision when I purchase the gun.

I will be saving all your information- thanks a bunch!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic