OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Shotgun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Shotgun
    Posted: November/14/2007 at 17:59
Okay I know this is primarily a rifle forum, but while I love to deer hunt, duck hunting is my true passion and I've decided to upgrade my primary duck gun from a Remington 11-87.  I'm thinking of getting a Benelli Super Black Eagle II.  Does anyone here have experience with this particular gun or something in its price range ($1,400-$1,600 or so) that is preferred? 

Thanks much.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 18:39
have a montefeltro, in 3 mag, great gun, 3 inch steel loads are stiff though-- is the eagle 3 1/2  and does it have benellis new cushion??
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 18:51
Dale -

Yes, the Eagle is 3 1/2 and yes it has Benelli's new cushion.  I've never had any problems shooting 3-inch steel...I just don't seem to notice any recoil when shooting mallards over the dekes!

ND2000
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 06:24
isnt a berrta 391 about the same price?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 07:57

Pyro -

Actually, I think that Beretta is a bit less.  Can you tell me what you like about the Beretta?  Thanks.

ND2000

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 08:51
I do not own the Benelli, but everyone I know that has one swears by it.  I have never heard a bad word about them.  One other shotgun I would consider is the Remington 105 cti, I believe that is the model.  It ejects from the bottom and has a feature where is "scoops" up the shell as you feed it to gun.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 12:24
the recoil on benellis is a lot "sharper" much more like a breakopen, as the recoil impulse is not spread out over a longer time period. had a 3 1/2 browning hunter semi, and "wow" even with auto's ability to soak up recoil it was worse than 3" brenneke slugs in my 11-87 (have a browning fusion which is lighter, but handles much differently) . personally I didn't like the additional heft of the 3 1/2 in and prefer my sp10 even for ducks. although a bigger gun it handles more llike the 11/87. have shot other shooters 391 but only in skeet, and find it even smoother than the 11/87s. Dolphin suggestion is one you should also seriously look at, but I have yet to find one for hands on.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 20:26
Originally posted by ND2000 ND2000 wrote:

Pyro -

Actually, I think that Beretta is a bit less.  Can you tell me what you like about the Beretta?  Thanks.

ND2000

i dont own one but the last time i picked one up it shouldered like a dream and it looks good in wood or in plastic, but the benelli is the choice of the fastest shotgunner in the world too, so i guess its a horse a piece.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 20:29

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I do not own the Benelli, but everyone I know that has one swears by it.  I have never heard a bad word about them.  One other shotgun I would consider is the Remington 105 cti, I believe that is the model.  It ejects from the bottom and has a feature where is "scoops" up the shell as you feed it to gun.

i HAD a benelli nova pump and i hated it, i would have much rather had a browning bps, but to be honest a gold would have been my ultimate choice.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 21:07
the cycle rate of the benellis is somewhat misleading. while the inertial system allows for the "fastest" rate its not fast with all loads. If you get used to shooting 3" mags the cycle rate is fast, when you switch over to light target loads as an example the cycle rate slows down accordingly, and hopefully the 3" spring will be broken down enough to allow complete cycling. that is what I meant about the beretta (one r ,2 ts) being smoother, it is difficult to detect any difference in the cycling rate because of their gas adjustment system. Of course the recoil of the bigger shells is still more.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 06:18
i wouldnt mind having an sp-10 myself.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 15:03
I have a 20 gauge Montefeltro I use for grouse hunting and absolutely love it. I don't have any experience with the SBE, but they are claimed to be the best autoloader made. I do know the Beretta 391's are probably the softest recoiling autoloader made, and very dependable on the trap fields. A lot of the old timer trap shooters switch to them when there Perazzi's, and Krieghoff's start kicking to much, and they don't want to shoot 1 ounce loads. I don't think you can go wrong buying a Benelli for a waterfowl gun.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 15:28
ND,

I have come across this post late, I will tell you, do not hesitate go with the Xtrema2.  It is the ultimate hunting shotgun, a true duck slayer.  I love it.  Lowest recoil I have ever felt if you get the Kick Off.  The aqua system is unbelieveable, light, balanced, kicks the sbe's ass.  Could not be happier with it Beretta knows what they are doing.  You will love it. 
Robert
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 16:31

DrakeTaker -

I know that you are a big time duck hunter also so I am certainly interested in your thoughts.  However, I mentally eliminated the Xtrema2 because it's my view that gas operated systems don't perform as well in harsh conditions or when wet as the intertia-driven systems...there is nothing that bothers me more than a gun that doesn't eject the shells.

ND2000

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 19:30
ND,

I will bet my life savings the SBE2 will jam or fail to eject before the Xtrema2 does.  The SBE has gone down in quality and reliability in my opinion since H & K quit making the gun for Benelli.  (after Beretta bought Benelli)   To me, the gun feels extremely better, it is very pointable, cycles flawlessly.  I have an Xtrema 3.5 (the original) and it has at least 50,000 rounds through it (clay gun as well as hunting gun) and has given me no problems.  One morning duck hunting I broke ice to get to my blind (sure you know how this is) it was as harsh as it gets with high wind snowing/freezing rain when I shouldered to shoot a greenhead and felt a bunch of ice hit me in the face, the action was completely frozen and the gun threw the ice at me when I shot breaking the action free and continued to cycle and chamber another round.   I've been around a lot of duck hunters, seen a lot of guns fail, never and xtrema.  It's the most reliable autoloader I have ever seen/used.  The thing I love the most about it, the gun field strips like a dream.  When you break it down there are only 5 parts if you include the cocking handle.  If you ever had to break it down in the blind it would easy to do, not that you will ever have to it's just very well designed.  I can't tell you how many times I dunked my xtrema while dodging sink holes in the low country swamps here in sc, all I had to do was unload it and drain the water out, reload and it functioned perfectly.  You have to be able to tell by now, I can't recommend a better shotgun to a fellow duck hunter.  My dad bought an xtrema2 recently so I have experience with it as well.  He has the Kick Off on his gun, let me tell you, that thing is unbelievable.  It's unreal how little the thing kicks.  The xtrema2 has the aqua system on it, also unbelievable.  Someone I know from Maryland hunts the atlantic coast.  I've seen him shoot for a week without any care given to the gun while it collected salt deposits in the receiver and then put it in a soft case.  He took it out for the first time about 6 months later b/c he forgot to clean it, no rust on anything.  Pretty unreal if you ask me.  This is the perfect gun in my opinion.  It will not fail on you.  Like any auto you have to take care of it, but it will stand up to any abuse you can give it.  Use it for a boat paddle if you want.  Go to youtube and watch the beretta videos on the xtrema2, pretty good videos.  I know you're probably wondering, this guy is so big on xtremas but he is looking for a turkey gun?  Well it's true, I have shot mine to death and have warped the barrel a little so that it does not shoot straight, it shoots low and left.  I think I'm just going to buy a 24" barrel for my xtrema instead of a different gun, I was just intrigued by some of the pistol grip stocks out there now, that's the only thing I wish beretta would add to the xtrema.  Give a lot of thought to one, you will not be disappointed with it.  The gas system is extremely reliable.  Another perk, like some of the benelli's, the xtrema will float a fourth shell under the bolt, a loop-hole for you. 

Edited by TheDrakeTaker
Robert
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 06:19

I have an SBE and it has never failed. It is my favorite turkey and waterfowl gun, of many I have. It is an excellent shotgun.

I had a wet round fire once that left the wad in the bore and blew wet powder back into the receiver. The gun was easily disassembled while on the lake shore with no tools. I used cedar bows and decoy anchor line to clean out the barrel and the receiver and went back to hunting. I took a limit of late season divers. This was on Lake Superior and it was snowing and blowing hard.

The gun is light and recoil is no problem including the 3 1/2" Roman candles. A gas gun may recoil a little less but the inertia (recoil) operated Benelli is far better than a pump gun for felt recoil.

I have had this gun for five years and it has taken a few turkeys and a bunch of geese and ducks. I can't see a gun that can replace it.

Edited by tahqua
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 06:22
I don't mean to bad mouth the SBE it is a good gun, you can't go wrong with either an Xtrema2 or a SBE2.  Just don't count the Xtrema2 out b/c it is gas operated, that's what makes it so great.  
Robert
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 09:01

Originally posted by TheDrakeTaker TheDrakeTaker wrote:

ND,

I will bet my life savings the SBE2 will jam or fail to eject before the Xtrema2 does.  The SBE has gone down in quality and reliability in my opinion since H & K quit making the gun for Benelli.  (after Beretta bought Benelli)  

HK was only the importer.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 09:10
I'm pretty sure that HK made the action at least, you can tell a difference in the sound the gun makes when it cycles from the HK ones and the new ones.  There's a big difference in those and the new ones.  Could be wrong, I've not only experienced it I have heard that from some die hard Benelli owners and dealers.

Edited by TheDrakeTaker
Robert
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 10:00

There is a different recoil system between an SBEI and an SBEII which reduces recoil in the II. Beretta are the new owners of Benelli.

HK has imported many brands of rifles and shotguns over the years. The Benelli was one of these brands, though they were made by them as my gun says. HK USA wanted to expand their market share here and it hasn't worked out. They are pretty much sticking with what they do best and that is their handguns and military/law enforcement long guns and SMG's. 

I certainly wouldn't discount the Beretta because it is a gas gun. I have a few friends who shoot the 391's and they are very nice. We shot a 400 round trap class and two 391's did not miss cycling once including doubles. I think an 11-87 is very similar in handling characterstics and certainly as reliable. My brother sits in a blind with me as much as anyone and his gas 11-87 has never failed in countless shots at ducks. If I had his gun I would see no need to buy my SBEI, in fact. That is, unless I just had to have the Roman candle launcher.

Edited by tahqua
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic