OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shot gun stocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shot gun stocks
    Posted: November/14/2007 at 11:37

this is some I just finished up.tell me what you think.i hope he will be happy with them.The pic is't the best but it's okay

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 14:13
Looking pretty saucy, Bd, nice work
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 14:18

thanks man.

i have about 12 hours working on this set.the light kinda sucked in the shop.I'm kinda sad to see them go. well untill the 150 hits my pocket then on to another set.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 14:20
I'm hearin ya there bro. What stain is that? I really like it

Cyborg
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 14:24

The stain is dark walnut.then 1coat of lin speed oil  then 5 coats of true oil then a good buffing and a good waxing.

this wood had alot of good dark grain to it naturaly so dark was what i went with.I'm working a few stes not that are looking okay so far but they are getting a light oak stain.i'm hopeing the grain will show more detail.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 14:26
LOOKIN GOOD BRO!

Cyborg
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 14:46
looks like they might be for a break open??
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 14:48

yes sir.

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 21:59

Nice job!  I think the degree of shine is just right. Not dull, not glossy.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 01:39
The wood came up very nicely. I have redone one of my rifle stocks, but not with the same success. Nice one!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 06:43

Thanks guy's

yeah i have a few a week show up at the shop that people thought they could do.It takes me about 2 hours to fix what they have messed up and then to start over.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 19:52
 I ran a custom cabinet shop for ten years. I always figured, starting from rough-sawn hardwood lumber, that when a nice dresser or something was all designed, built, fitted and sanded, that the work was about half done.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 06:30

Thats true.The final finish is the first thing people notice about a gun.And we all know how first impreetions can be

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 13:14
Nice job.  I have been doing alot of amateur gunsmithing over the last 2 years, learning more and more and have put together now about one half dozen or slightly more custom to semi-custom rifles, or at least is various stages.  Just finished one completely in a wooden stock with a Mauser action in a .243 Winchester.  Trying to get pics., actually did get some during a boring period in the tree stand while bear hunting this weekend, going for a head shot, shoots one quarter inch groups with hand loads at 100 yards.  Just curious, where did you get the wood from and how much sanding was required.  The stocks I get require large amounts of sanding and contouring as they are rough hewn, despite having a good figure?
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 14:45

Dolphin,

Right now the 20 or so pairs of stocks I’m working on were in a flood and I’m redoing the entire guns. So the stocks are in fair shape. They do get allot of sanding. The steps I use is as follows.

After I take the gun apart,

1) I will strip all finish off with a good lacquer thinner or something like that. Witch this might take 4 or 5 times to get it all off.

2) I will Wipe the stocks off with mineral spirits make sure of no light spots of missed old finish.

3) I will put the butt plate back on and (hand) sand lightly with 200 or so paper to get the wood to new status

4) I will take some 450 and 600 sand paper and make it smooth with the butt plate still on. After it is very very smooth      I will take 0000 steel wool and buff the wood

5) I will repeat step 2 and 3 and 4 if not to my liking and I will let it dry in 70% for about 3 days I want the wood to look dull

6) Look at the grain of the wood to see what finish would make the wood stand out and show up better.

7) Take a old rag and wipe the wood down heavily with stain and let sit about 2 minutes and wipe smooth. I will hang the stock for 2 days to make sure it dries very well

8) After it dries I will take 0000 steel wool and buff all the stock to take the sheen off.

9) I will take tru oil or lin speed and rub into the wood very very very good with finger tips. I will hang the stocks to dry for a day or 2. it shouldn’t feel sticky to the touch

10) I will take 0000 and buff the stocks again and rub down with the oil of choice, and hang again  I do this step about 5 times.

11) I then take some very light wood buffing compound and buff it 2 times very good. The shine will dull from this step

12) I then take some wood wax and wax the wood 2 or 3 times and make sure you put wax on every piece of the stock to protect it.

13) Then I take the newly finished stocks and a tooth pick or something with a small edge and get the wax build up out of all the little cracks and other places it might build up.

I think this is just about all the steps I take on redoing stocks. I’m probably taking more step than most people but I have never had one that the owner didn’t like.

As for new stocks.  There is a wood worker we get ours from. He dose a good job. There is a lot of sanding evolved but the shape in mainly there I just knock the edges off so to speak. He is a local guy in Ga  We give him a picture and some measurements and he take it form there and dose what we need.

If I can help with anything just let me know.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 16:28
That is very similar to my approach, but since I am working with raw wood there are some differences.  I use more sandpaper in the process and because the grades of wood that I have access to, or should I say, can really afford, have a fair amount of pores, I must create a sludgy with the truoil to fill them in, after the first coat of finish, being careful not to create to much and wipe the excess off.  I finished a Baikal shotgun for myself with truoil and did some minor metal work and it came out looking great.  My future son in law thought it was a 1500 dollar shotgun.  Good work.  Please post some more pics. and I will try to do the same.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 17:15
Nicely done!!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic