OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Hell, Swartberg Pass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Hell, Swartberg Pass
    Posted: November/14/2007 at 07:26

This is the pass coming up to The Hell, situated in the Swartberg Pass near Oudtshoorn, South Africa. (Swartberg= Black mountain) This pass leads to a remote area named The Hell, because it gets so hot. It is a similiar pass that leads down to The Hell, but there is no way through it. No wind gets down to the bottom, so it bakes in sweltering heat of 109 F and higher. In the summer it is unbearable. During the winter the area has some fine hunting for smaller antelope species.

I went through this area about 2 weeks ago and thought I would share this pic  I took and some useless info with you.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 08:05
It's Beautiful 8 shots. Thanks for the sharing, I'll probably never be able to see it for myself, so this is a welcome for me.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 08:16

This area also has some amazing rock formations. I am not a geologist, so I would not even attempt to explain what happened here, except a lot sh&%t went down some years ago!!!

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 08:22
THANKS 8 Shots, Beautiful part of the world there man, I hope someday I can get around there.

Cyborg
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 10:15

8shots,

Thats fliping awsome.I need to start saving my pennies so i can fly over and see things like this.

great pic's man thanks for sharing them with all of us.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 12:42

Maritzburg College Rules

Edited by martin3175
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 20:14

VERY cool, 8. Thank you for sharing.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 18:59
Very interesting rock formations there, 8 shots!  Neat looking place!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2007 at 14:31
wow, i cant believe that, i picture africa as mostly desert and barren, that place looks sweet.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 02:03
Pyro,
Africa is a big continent! South Africa is just as big, with climate and vegetation that goes from desert to forests.  So we are pretty fortunate in that we can hunt all kinds of animals under all kinds of conditions. (End of lesson 1- Africa)Big%20smile
Here is a couple of other pictures taken in our beautiful country!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 07:40
the fourth picture reminds me of arizona, what pretty country that is im really impressed, you keep sending pictures out and you might make a liar out of me!! i keep telling myself theres now way i will get a chance to go to africa and hunt, but as pretty as your part of it is i might have to.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 07:27
so is it summer down there now??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 07:36
Pyro, it should be, but the guy dishing out the sunrays did not look at the calendar. We are still experiencing some pretty cold weather for this time of the year. But yes, we are officially in our summer months.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 07:46
so what kind of temps are you expecting to have during the summer months?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:15
there isnt any real dangerous game where you are at is there?? ie cape buffalo elephant etc
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:16

South Africa has a wide range of climatic conditions. Typically our night time temp is around 64deg Fah.

We then have average summer days of 82 F, but it can spike to 95. In our hotter semi desert areas temps go 104 F +.

I live in Cape Town which is a winter rainfall area. We have cold wet winters, and hot dry summers, with temps around 95deg Fah in summer.
To our north lies the drier areas, which include the Kalahari desert, where temps can spike to 106 deg F +.
To our east lies the summer rainfall and the hot humid areas of Natal. They have temps at night of 75 F and daytimes of 90F, but the humidity is 80% plus, so it kills you.
So we have a bit of everything, depending on where you live.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:22
I grew up in SE Ga, I know all about that humidity thing, seems like a thunder shower comes everyday in the afternoon, and the humidity is nearly always around 90% or better, temps in the 90's during the day and 70's at night.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:32
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

there isnt any real dangerous game where you are at is there?? ie cape buffalo elephant etc

Pyro, most of the dangerous stuff is nowdays only found in National Parks and big game ranches. On the average hunts we go on, leopard can be a problem, but lion, buffs etc are not around anymore. Same for elephant. There are big game ranches where you can still hunt amongst them or hunt them. But this is the big league.
Three years ago I hunted in a reserve called Tsolwana, and there was several rhino walking freely. I came to within 50 yds or so from them . Look at extremme right of photo for two rhino.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:33
its not really hot here in mn during the summer we will an occasion hit 100 but only usually a couple of times a summer but those times the humidity is about 80-90% so yeah thats miserable, most of the time low 80's is the norm with 60-75% humidity. looks like i need to get my ass back into high school shape so i could hike the country looking for animals to hunt. thanks for sharing 8shots
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 08:34
yeah i would like to come down there and hunt some of the  game you talk about about, the "plains" game none of that dangerous stuff for this cat.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic