OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which scope for me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirchydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which scope for me?
    Posted: November/13/2007 at 22:20
Alright, I realize this is a really broad question, so I will try narrow it down.

I am looking to put a scope on a 223 rifle. I probably won't make any shots out past 500 yards, and will mostly be used for varmints.

I was looking at either 3-9 power, or possibly 10 power fixed. I have been looking at the burris fullfield 2, with the ballistic plex reticle. I really like that particular reticle. But I don't really like the lack of a focus knob. My question is what are my other choices with that reticle, or similar, and close to same price? I prefer side focus. Also, would you suggest the variable power for my application or the fixed? I hope this is enough info.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 23:47
Skirchy......I would go with a 4X16 or even a 6X24 variable for varmits out to 500 yards. Not a fixed power because it limits your versatility. A 3x9 for small varmits at extended ranges is not enough magnification. I am not a BDC or ballistic plex recticle fan, so I will leave that to my more distinguished on line associates!   
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 23:53

If your looking at shooting small varmits out at 500 yards I would look at a scope with more magnification.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 04:11

Welcome to The OT.

Do you have a budget$$$?

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 12:17

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10629-1511-new-sightron-6-24x42-sii-b ig-sky-riflescope.aspx

Check this out, Decent scope for your application, Like Cheaptrick says budget would help.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 08:45
I agree, more magnification is needed, especially if varmint hunting is intended.  The ballistic plex reticle would be nice imo.  I also agree, what is your budget.  Hard to recommend something without knowing how much you can spend.  Welcome to the OT.
skirchydoo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skirchydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 12:37
I was thinking more around the 250 or 300 range. I realize this isn't much to work with, but thats what my budget is at this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic