OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles ?
    Posted: November/13/2007 at 14:18
Hey, cheaptrick, could you or koshkin, or any of the optic experts categorize the Kahles riflescope product line for me ? Could you start off with their entry models, and work your way up to the top of the line scope? Heres what I'm looking for, a 1" tube, an objective lens no bigger than 50mm., variable magnification to at least 12 X, no more power than 16 X, and crystal clear glass with maximum sharpness. If 1 of the Kahles models on the sample list fits my application, I'll probably buy it there, and save a couple of bucks over new. This is going to be mounted on a .243 Win. for whitetails out to a max of 300 yards. Thank You! 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 14:34
Kahles KX 4-12x50 is the only one I can think of that fits your criteria.  A slightly better Kahles CL 4-12x52 has a touch too big objective lens for you, but is superb otherwise.

I do not quite get why you feel a need for 12x.  For your application I would go with either a KX or a CL in a 3-9x42 configuration.

ILya
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 15:14
I live in PA., and we have an antler point restriction. In different areas, the restrictions vary on how many points per side is legal. You need to count points, (before you pull the trigger) and a point has to be 1" or longer to be legal. So, say at 200 yards, when I see a buck, I need the clarity and resolution to be able to count points. I went from a Leupold Vari X II 3-9X-40mm. to a VX II 6-18X-40mm. hoping the extra magnification would be the answer. Well now I realize better glass is what I need. Would the CL line, be my best option? On the sample list, what are the differences in the C, CB, CBX, CSX, & CL models ?

Edited by Blackbird
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 15:40
All Kahles scopes have the same coatings, the only difference will be in clarity (that is barely noticeable).  The CL is awesome, the best 1" scope money can buy.  You don't gain much when you go to the C, just a little brightness with the 56mm objective.  I have a 4-12X52 CL with Multizer0, it is a great scope, it is a 52mm objective, but it doesn't seem that big if that makes any sense.  My old scope (a nikon buckmaster 4-12X50) makes the CL look tiny.  By the way, I also have a Kahles C 3-12X56, it's pretty incredible too.  The others you listed have illuminated reticles etc.  The CL will meet your needs and then some.  You will not be disappointed, the clarity is amazing, as good as money can buy.  Have you considered what reticle you want?  I would recommend a #4a, it is very easy to see in low light.  You will also love the large FOV that Kahles scopes have.  Good luck.
Robert
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 20:23

Originally posted by Blackbird Blackbird wrote:

Would the CL line, be my best option? On the sample list, what are the differences in the C, CB, CBX, CSX, & CL models ?

Of those, only the CL line has 1" main tubes; the rest have 30mm tubes.  CL also has side focus, except for the 2-7X36 model.

C is their standard non illuminated reticle 30mm tube scope series.  It is basically comparable to or better than competing 30mm Euro scopes.

CB is a previous generation illuminated reticle version of the C, with first focal plane reticle.

CBX is a newer generation of the same basic scope as CB, with improved illumination control.

CSX is the same scope as CBX, except for second focal plane (non-magnifying) reticle, vs. the CBX's FFP reticle.

Optically, all of the above are the same, which is to say, outstanding!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 07:58
Thank you for clearing that up RifleDude. I take it the KX line is slightly less quality compared to the CL line ?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 08:52
yes, but still very good for the money.
Robert
tophet1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tophet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 18:15
I own an AH 3.5-10x50 (No real difference from the current KX) and a CL 4-12x52 Kahles scopes. The optical difference to my untrained eye is not that great but one thing you should take into consideration is that the weight of the CL 4-12x52 and similar scopes may unbalance a standard weight hunting rifle. I have my 4-12x52 mounted on a 9lb Ruger N.1 varmint rifle and it still adds weight to the top of the rifle. I suppose it depends how you hunt.
stubob2517 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubob2517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 19:05
Long as you guys have already started the conversation, I am looking for a good Kahles scope for elk hunting. I was introduced to the Kahles brand a couple of years ago in Bass Pro and just could not believe the clarity of the optics. I plan on taking a 30-06 to somewhere out west next year.  I'll take any and all recommendations. Thanks in advance for your help.  Stu
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 11:49
How about a 2.5-10X50 C or a CL or KX of about the same magnification, picky any they are all great but the C line is as good as it gets.
Robert
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubob2517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 08:18
Thanks for the input Drake. I take it you occasionally like to hunt in the cold, snowy, wet, nasty weather that makes for a great day....
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 15:04
No doubt about that.  Duck hunting is my real passion in life, deer hunting just passes the time between turkey season and duck season.  
Robert
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stubob2517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 15:16

yeah, I just moved from Maryland to North Carolina. I never realized how good I had it!!! Turkey wasn't the greatest but I could take almost 30 deer a year and the duck hunting was always great.

Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 19:08

Hey Drake, how does the Zeiss Conquest line (1" tube) compare to the Kahles CL line in glass quality ? (clarity, resolution, & contrast)

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 19:28
The Kahles CL is the finest 1" scope money can buy.  Easily better than the conquest, even a novice can easily tell a difference in low light.  I have a Kahles CL and a C and honestly it is very hard to tell a difference between the two, the only one I can see is that the C is a little brighter b/c of a 56mm objective vs 52mm on my CL.  A friend of mine has a conquest 4.5-14X50 and honestly it is hard for me to look through it, I'm too used to my Kahles scopes.  It's not a bad scope by any means, just does not compare in glass quality to Kahles.  Here's a first impression that my friend's uncle gave to my Kahles C 3-12X56.  My friend was showing off his Tikka T3 lite to his uncle one day when he got his new conquest on it, his uncle just said, "that's a nice set up".  I couldn't help myself, I got out my Tikka with the Kahles on it and let him look through it, he said "Ohh man look at that scope, now that's clear".  Pretty obvious difference I will say.  Hope this helps.  
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic