OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 8X32

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 8X32
    Posted: November/12/2007 at 15:03
I've got Minox 8.5X52 I use for stand hunting and Leupold Katmai 6X32 I use for bowhunting, but neither of these is what I want for my "everyday binocular".  I'm thinking a good 8X32 is what I need to keep with me all the time, and it would fall in between what I've got.  Anybody looked at Swaro, Leica, Zeiss and Nikon?  What did you think?  Frrom what I'm reading The Nikon LXL at less than $1K is as good as any of the other three at $1500. 
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 15:49

Mwyates -

Looked at all of them except Nikon.  There is no "best" or one size fits all at the high end, that is for sure.  Here is a quick summary:

Zeiss - Probably the best image in the center of the FOV, but quickly tails off as you move to the edges.

Swaro - Most pleasing overall view, given its the largest sweet spot of the bunch and will also show the best depth of field.  Edge-to-edge sharpness is superior to the others.  On the flip side, the resolution in the center is not quite as good as Zeiss/Leica.

Leica - Sort of a compromise between the two

Personally, if it is going to be your "everyday" binocular, and not for any one critical application, I would make the decision with a heavy emphasis on ergonomics.  For me, the Swaro easily had the best feel, which is why I ended up going that direction (albeit ultimately in an 8.5x42).

I should warn you, if you go with one of the top end you will not be using your Minox or Leupolds anymore.    You will find that once you know something better is sitting at home, you are disappointed with what you see!  The 4mm exit pupil is generally sufficient on any of the high-end models because the coatings are so good.

Good luck.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 15:56

My wife and I have compared all of these.  We liked the top-of-the-line Zeiss best.  The Swaros came in second, and are also fine binoculars.

Have a look, and get what you like best.  When you buy at this level, you should have enough quality to last for a lifetime.

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 17:44
If you have an opportunity look through the Nikon Premier SE 8x32mm.
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 19:44

In my opinion the best all around 8x32 bino would probably be the Leica 8x32 Trinovid, and probably equal to that would be the zeiss 8x32 FL.  There is something about the trinovid 8x32 that people rave about.  It has the perfect balance of performance/size/ruggedness.  It is my favorite bino that I own, and I have heard the same from many other users as well.  Optically all top end binos are incredible and I would'nt get too bogged down comparing sweet spots or brightness.  To me the swaro El's are a little too long for a compact 8x32, and the Leica Ultravids are too small especially if you have large hands.  The trinovids are perfect for most people, and the FL's are equally as comfortable.  I would not be heart broken to sell any of my larger bino's even though they may be slightly brighter but I do not go anywhere without my 8x32 trinovids.  It's all about how they feel to you.  In the 42mm or 50mm class my opinion and recommendations would completely change.

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 21:17

I can't speak for the 32mm objectives but I have looked at all of the 8x42 models listed above.  The Nikon Premiere LX is right there with the BIG 3. i was very impressed with the Nikon series a bit let down by some of the others that compete in that class (Leupold Golden Ring and the Bushnell Elites).  At that level it really will come down to what looks good to "your" eyes or what feels right in hands.  I was very impressed with the Nikon Premire BUT I am an optics snob in a way because if I was going to pay over $1000, Im sorry but I want a Zeiss blue square, Leica red ball, or a Swaro Eagle on my nocs again not to nock the Nikon but at that price I want a name as well.

I was already to go buy the Zeiss FL series it was the brightest of all the models I was looking at but its true that it falls off at the edges more then the Lecia or the Swarovski and because of its light weight just did not feel the "quality" of the Leica or Swaro.  The Lecia was a nice image felt really stout and well built in my hands.  The Swaro had the most pleasing overall image to me across the whole lens and it felt best in my hand the Leica did not have the ergonomics the Swarovski did.

ALSO, I have heard nothing but great things about Swarovski's customer service where I have heard sending stuff off to either Zeiss or Leica can take considerable time to get your binocualrs back.  Zeiss does have a transferable warranty which is nice if you ever decide to sell them off. 

For me once I picked up the Swaro's nothing felt better.....but at this level there really is no wrong answer ALL are good.  I have a couple friends that hunt with Zeiss and one with Lecia me with Swaro and playing around with they binoculars I can see why they got what they got again no wrong answer here.

Good Luck

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 22:11

AC,

I don't know where you priced the Nikon Premier SE 8x32mm, but, it starts out around $560, and tops out at $700, on the internet. 

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 01:48

The Premire LX 10x42 is priced about close to the Big Three  see below:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-5034-934-new-nikon-10x42-premier-lxl- binocular.aspx

- Anonymous

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 06:02
The topic is the best 8x32mm
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 06:11

K I've only handled the 42mm model which is why I mentioned it but in the interest of keeping with the topic. Also, the poster mentioned the Nikon Premire LXL model not the Premier SE (Poro design) which accounts for the difference in price.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-5035-934-new-nikon-8x32-premier-lxl-b inocular.aspx

Edited by Acenturian

- Anonymous

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 07:49

for the sake of comparison - take a look at the fujion polaris series

http://fujinonbinos.com/fujinon_polaris_binoculars.pdf 

and also the new offerings from vortex.

i know that most folks put leica, zeiss, and swaro at the top - but the fujinon polaris that i have will compete w/ high end swaros and zeiss.

we compared them one evening at my hunt club and i pissed alot of people off about their 1500+ dollar field glasses

the 7x50's have the least amount of eye-fatigue i have ever experience, even hunting w/ them all day long, off and on. they have a 8x30 that
may feel good to your eyes/hands - optically they are bright and suppurb.

if you end up w/ the 'top three' i am sure you'll be very pleased - BUT if you want to save money and get close (or maybe equal or better in some cases)
try the fujinon polaris or the highest end vortex.

good luck.

just wanted to give an additional option or two.

J

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 14:50
I didn't mention it, but I have a pair of Nikon Premier Se 8X32's (my wife never lets me use them).  They are exceptional.  I want this new pair to be roofs.  I had a chance yesterday to use the 8X32 LXL's for a few hours and compared them to my brother's Swaro El 8.5.42's.  The Nikon's are every bit as good, maybe better in some areas, but they are jsut not comfortable to me.  The search continues.  Seems like I read somewhere that the new Swaro SLC 8X30's are right there with the EL's.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 18:55
PM sent mwyates.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 20:11

mwyates,

Have you ever had an opportunity to look through the Minox HG 8x33 BR aspheric?

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 20:53
The problem I have with the SLC 8x30 is the location of the focus wheel.  It is on the end and you have to focus with you pinky finger.  To me it is very awkward.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 21:06
Have you tried the Swaro 7x42mm?
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 21:16

I haven't tried the Minox 8X33 but would like to.  My 8.5X52 HG's are really good; can't see much difference in them and the Swaro 8.5X42's except for 10 minutes early and late.  Anybody know if there's that much difference in the Minx HG's and theBR's?  Swaro 7X42 is too big, I think.

I hadn't noticed the focusing ring on the 8X30 SLC's.  That really does look inconvenient.

Here's something I haven't seen discussed here - how much does the quality of your eyesight affect your ability to appreciate top quality optics?  Nearsighted and farsighted shouldn't matter, but I've got a lot of astigmatism.  Can I see as well through top quality binocs as somebody with perfect vision?

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 19:20
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I've got a lot of astigmatism.  Can I see as well through top quality binocs as somebody with perfect vision?

Only with the proper correction, and, sometimes, careful placement of eyeglasses.

Perhaps contacts would work better for astigmatism, but I am too lazy to give them a try.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 19:33
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 00:58
PM sent mwyates.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic