OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what Tasco is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razerface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what Tasco is this?
    Posted: November/11/2007 at 16:22
I bought a 22-250, 6-8 yrs ago.  Put in safe,,never shot it. Did not pay much attn to scope as I am not a Tasco fan. I got it out the other day,, figured to slap a 4200 elite on it and go hunting. Well,,my boy played with the riflr and wants it.  He says he wants to keep the scope on it.  Can you guys tell me what it is and if it is worth leaving on rifle,, or pitch it now.

Tasco  4-16x40   It is AO front adjustable,,marked from 50 ft(feet) to 300yd and infinity,,,but the ring will go 2 turns!!!  It also has a strange (to me) table on the power ring which lists yardage(or numbers) in the spinning ring,  and animals like mule deer, elk,white tail, down to rabbit and coyote on the non-turning part.  The reticle has a second, lighter, horizonal line under main crosshair. The elevation turrent is marked from 100 to 500 and is resetable.

Is it junk scope  that will cause more pain then it's worth?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 16:55
For now, I would keep it on there to see how your son does with it. Zero it in, make sure it holds zero and that there are no problems. If it proves to be a reliable scope at the range or in foul weather, then keep it on there!...If not, then go with the 4200!................................
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 16:57

It's paid for... Play with it for a while and then figure out what you want.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

razerface View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razerface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 17:06
well,, I thought about leaving it on because he wants it. On the other hand,,he asked me what to do with the numbers and animal names,,, and I don't know. Combined with the second line on reticle,,,is it a rangefinder deal?   I have never seen an AO go 2 revolutions either.  I have another 22-250 I shoot,,,so if scope sucks, it won't drive ME crazy.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 09:53

That is a tasco TR (trajectory rangefinder)....good scope.  We sold them for around $200. when new (early 90's).

You bracket the animal's body (top of back to belly) you are shooting at between the two horizontal crosshairs.  You do this by turning the power up and down until just the body fits between the two lines.  Then look at the power ring designation for the animal you are shooting and it will give you the yardage.  Turn the bdc dial to the corresponding yardage and hold dead on.

razerface View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razerface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 19:22
Chris, is the bdc dedicated to certain caliper?  Did they sell different ones?
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 19:48
They are caliber specific and the scopes came with all of them, about 5 or 6 different ones.
razerface View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razerface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 20:04
thanky, thanky
Diana View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 16:20

email me your your choice of mail delivery and I will send you a manual, explaining the scope.

razerface View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razerface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 17:27
Diana, sent email.  Thanks for the offer to help. once again, a stranger rescues me,,,,,maybe the world isn't as bad as the nightly news wants me to believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic