OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Worst Tactical Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst Tactical Scope
    Posted: November/11/2007 at 09:46

The other day when I was at the range watching two local police sniper teams I saw a scope I did not recognise, on closer inspection it was a Mueller with tactical knobs. When I asked one of the other snipers about it he says - yea he's not our best shooter either but we are always under 100 yds.  I'm shaking my head. How about U.  What is the worst scope you have seen in actual tactical use by police or military snipers? 

Let me give you my two scents worth
spreader View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 01:46
Skunk,

That's in France? No wonder they can't get those punks under control that were burning cars on streets of Paris...

Joking aside, I heard Marines that had the original Unertl scopes for decades apparently learned to re-zero them every time the rifle had to be transported since the reticle would shift if the scope (or rifle with scope mounted on it) got any significant jolts in transport. Same thing could apparently happen during combat. And in Vietnam era they would fog easily. I think quite often the equipment that sniper teams use is being decided upon by bureaucrats that have no clue and are simply bean-counters. I think historically Army usually gets the stuff that works only during the war, when bean-counters have less say as to what gets ordered and used.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 05:36

One word...

B A R S K A

'nuf said...

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 06:10

I second Ceylone, I had to try one on a light 30-06 it did not make 20 rounds .

Duce 

Duce
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 08:19
BARFSKA !!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 10:47
Guys, you have clearly not tried NcStar and Leapers.  Barska is a step up from those.

ILya
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 11:09

I don`t think I want to try them.

Duce

Duce
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 11:47
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

I don`t think I want to try them.

Duce

^^^^^^^What Duce said^^^^^^^

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Remington700VS View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remington700VS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 15:00

Yeah...I had an NC star pistol scope on the rear sight of my mosin nagant (once). Then I grew a brain, put the rear sight back on, and proceeded to take shots at it.

My NC Star scope had to be re-zeroed everytime I went out shooting...Now it only exsists in pieces.  Muhahaha

30-06 forever View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30-06 forever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 18:33
The comments on the USMC Unertls are a bit off base. It was, after all, a TARGET SCOPE, not a rugged hunting scope.
It was not intended to be banged around and had its own special tube to be kept & transported in off the rifle.
Yes it would fog as would any scope made in the 1950s. Troops who took care of the rifle (A national Match 1903
Springfield) and the scope were deadly with them and even today a good sniper shooting one would take you out at 1000
yards. You might recall that Gunny Hathcock used a Model 70 sporting rifle with a Unertl target scope in Nam and was
reasonably successful. The later Unertl models with fixed mounts and internal adjustments were and are excellent scopes
and certainly have no fogging or adjustment shift problems.
Worst scope? A weaver 330 that was also used as a sniper scope in WW II and quickly replaced by the still great Lyman
Alaskan.
nono 78 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nono 78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 06:38
spreader View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 21:43
Originally posted by nono 78 nono 78 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

That was in France ?????

No, it was here and that's why it was over in less than a week!

Interestingly enough it seems that with new wave of riots in France, French press still avoids saying that rioters are Muslims from 3rd World countries that couldn't care less about France, French culture, local laws or anything French for that matter.

Instead they're almost invariably being called "youths from poor neighborhoods". So long as Frenchmen avoid calling spade a spade - there won't be any progress made.

nono 78 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nono 78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 13:00
Interestingly enough it seems that with new wave of riots in France, French press still avoids saying that rioters are Muslims from 3rd World countries that couldn't care less about France, French culture, local laws or anything French for that matter.

Instead they're almost invariably being called "youths from poor neighborhoods". So long as Frenchmen avoid calling spade a spade - there won't be any progress made.

On these points, i'm agree with you !
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 21:11
Originally posted by spreader spreader wrote:

Skunk,

Joking aside, I heard Marines that had the original Unertl scopes for decades apparently learned to re-zero them every time the rifle had to be transported since the reticle would shift if the scope (or rifle with scope mounted on it) got any significant jolts in transport. Same thing could apparently happen during combat.

Show me a Marine sniper that didn't check his zero after a rough ride and I'll show you a Marine sniper that lasts as long in combat as a fart in the wind.

Anything and everything, if hit hard enough, loses zero.  personally, I really liked the old Unertls - won't pay $2,500 for one today, but back then, it was the best thing going.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ServiceRifle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServiceRifle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 17:33
NcStar
snipeit101 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipeit101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2007 at 23:05
I'm thinking about a super sniper what does anyone's experience tell them?
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2007 at 07:37
Lots of information on super sniper here use the search function, almost all is positive.

Big%20Smile   Duce
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic