OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New scope for .22-250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New scope for .22-250
    Posted: November/10/2007 at 08:31

I know, I know, ... not another 'which scope please help' post!

But I think I have it narrowed down to two or possibly three choices, and would like to hear some testimonials for those who have used or compared the scopes I'm talking about.

Looking at upgrading the scope on my Ruger .22-250 for coyotes. The 'ol tasco just doesn't gather enough light at the end of the day for those frequent twilight shots. Often have shot opportunities of 300 yds plus so need up to 14 -15 power range. So I'm looking for good low light clarity and durability as two very important factors.  Should stay at 40mm cause I don't want to have to change up the rings on my Ruger (more $$$)

Approx $300 budget so considering:

a. Bushhell Elite 3200 5-15 X 40. Have one in 3-9 that I like so clarity and durability shouldn't be an issue. Prefer the mildot for this app but don't like the big turrets. Don't like the  objective adjustment out at the end. By the specs looks like good eye relief. Free jacket.

b. Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 X 40. like the side focus for the AO. I think the new BDC would work well in this app. Would appreciate comments on low-light clarity and durability.

And what about a Sightron II? I read mixed reviews. 4-16 X 42 would fall in this class, looks like a little more $$. 

I'm going a little nuts trying to make this decision, so would appreciate your comments, Thanks.

Just 'cause there's clouds on the horizon doesn't mean it's gonna rain...
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2007 at 08:43
BUSHNELL ELITE 3200 is my pick
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2007 at 16:10
I just bought the 3200 elite you mention for a savage 22-250 varmint gun. Maybe I just got a lemon but it wouldn't adjust for zero parallax at any point in the adjustment range. Eye position was super critical at above 12X also. I called bushnell and they said they had experienced some problems with parrallax on this scope and offered to repair it for me. I instead returned it on their "no questions asked return" and recieved my $ back in six weeks. I have a 4x16x40 4200 elite on another 22-250 and wouldn't part with it for anything (no parallax or eye position problems at all). The sightron S2 will have better optics but will probably be more $. No experience with the nikonbut would expect the sightron to have superior optics again. With the elite return policy your safe in buying one and seeing what you think.....you'll just be out some time if you have to return it.

focus

Edited by Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2007 at 22:11

4.5-14X Buckmasters oughtta be nice. If u get it with the mil-dot, the milliradian is calibrated for 12X and the Nikon catalog gives the subtensions for 14X as well. Oughtta be a nice system for longer range coyotes. I use a 223 AI AR for coyotes, and i use this scope for longer ranges if needed--

http://www.rapidreticle.com/22lr3-9x32.htm

Steve
Legs in the Air View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 08:46

sscoyote:

4.5-14X Buckmasters oughtta be nice. If u get it with the mil-dot, the milliradian is calibrated for 12X and the Nikon catalog gives the subtensions for 14X as well. Oughtta be a nice system for longer range coyotes. I use a 223 AI AR for coyotes, and i use this scope for longer ranges if needed--

So you'd go with the mildot in this scope over the bdc?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 14:50
SIghtron S2 is a better way to go than Buckmaster or Elite 3200

ILya
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 11:11

I would go with Ilya's advice over mine. I'm into reticles for long-range shooting, but Ilya knows about the quality issues way better than i do. Buckmasters is a decent scope for the money, and at least for me either reticle would be a toss-up. I like the fact that the mil-dot in that scope can be applied at a higher magnification more accurately, but the BDC may be better intuitively, since it is designed to be a trajectory compensating reticle, and the mil-dot isn't.

As a coyote hunter myself, i know that it would be handy to be able to apply the reticle quickly if needed, and therefore i'd probably give a slight edge to the BDC over the mil-dot.

Edited by sscoyote
Steve
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 12:16
I used to be a big fan of trajectory compensating reticles, but I have changed my opinion.  I much prefer Mil-based reticles, such as Mil-Dot or MP8.  I can compensate for range with a MilDot reticle just as easily as I can with BDC reticle or similar.  However, when I need to adjust to a different load or to a different magnification (important for SFP scopes), MilDot is much easier for me to use.

ILya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2007 at 22:11

I've recently been looking at the Bushnell Elite 3200 in 7-21 X 40.

Does anybody know anything positive or negative about this particular model.

Also what about the discontinued Browning scopes. Is it accurate that they are identical to the elite 3200's?

sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 20:24

Man u have been looking around some. That's the scope i've been looking at lately myself. It's only 12.8" OAL, and that's actually shorter than the 5-15X u listed before. I like portability in my varmint rigs, and would sacrifice some for that. If the mil-dot in that scope is calibrated for a lower power (probably is) it would be an excellent system for longer ranges with smaller subtensions (better accuracy, and better rangefinding) at the scope's highest power. Just waiting for 1 of the gurus here to respond to my post in the riflescopes area.

Edited by sscoyote
Steve
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 07:51
are you just shooting pdogs or do you shoot coyotes as well?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 10:07

Coyotes only.

No pdogs in my part of the praires, just the smaller Richardson ground squirrels and I use a .17 hmr for them...

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 11:54
i wouldnt use anything over 4x on the lowest setting for hunting coyotes especially if i was hunting alone, in a group of a couple of people it wouldnt be an issue, but a coyote at 30 ft is awful big in the scope at 7x just my advice.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 12:50

Yeah I thought about that alright and it's good advice.

I like to set up with some room and sniper shoot them at a distance. I guess that's just my style.

But I know anything can and will happen when calling..

Thanks for the advice

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 13:23
i dont blame you at all i myself hunt with a couple of people and i dont think much about that phantom coyote sneaking up on the guy with the higher powered scope, but for me i feel a lot more comfortable with a plain old 3x9 or 4x14 just in case you get one in real close.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic