OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BSA Sweet .17 or Barska .17 Hot Magnum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSA Sweet .17 or Barska .17 Hot Magnum
    Posted: November/09/2007 at 23:04
I just bought a Savage Model 93 in .17 hmr and im now looking for a semi-decent scope to put on it.  Im hoping to get some input on the above two scopes as i've pretty much narrowed it down to these two based on price, range capability, and the fact they are designed with the .17 hmr in mind.  I've heard all kinds of rumors both good and bad about the Sweet .17 scope, but i have no evidence to back any of it up.  I have not heard a thing about the Barska, but i currently own a Barska 3-9x40 Ridgeline which aint to shabby.  I'd appreciate any help i can get.  Oh, by the way im planning on long range shots for rabbit for i opted for the 6-18x40 models for each scope.  And by all means if you have any suggestions for other good Sniper type Varmint scopes post them, you may just sway either of my decisions.  Thanks
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2007 at 08:33
Personal experience. I owned 2 BSA's both JUNK, never again. I have never used a Barska. I have a Nikon 6X18 on my Ruger K77/17 and it is GREAT.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2007 at 18:40
Have you looked at the Bushnell 3.5-10x36 Banner Dusk & Dawn Rifle Scope  I Have one on My Cooper Jackson Squirrel .17 and have been pleased enough to buy another for a custom 10-22 ruger. The scope comes with a ring set up for the .17 and a second that is blank so that it can be marked for any other table you want. I have mine with 3 color coded settings for different weight bullets. I have found the adjustments to be very repeatable. With a price under $100 I give it a great value and with Bushnell quality. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
dls56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dls56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 09:52
I've got some first hand experience with a sweet 22. I haven't had it for a long time but the short while I've had it it's been a decent scope for the money. I seldom run it all the way out to 18 power when I do the eye relief is minimized but doable.
Good mounts and rings are always an important element of the equation.
I've read somewhere, maybe here that buying a BSA can be a crap shoot I guess I got lucky.
The impressive part is how well the elevation adjustment has worked with yardage and bullet weights.
Best of luck finding something that works for you.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2008 at 15:17

I have a Barska and the optics are surprisingly good for a cheap scope, HOWEVER, it won't hold a zero for more than two shots...worthless. I can't even get rid of the thing, because I couldn't pass on the garbage to anyone else. Warranty was 90 days and I didn't even mount it for longer than that. MY experience.
I have a Sweet 22 (no 17) that is outstanding for the money invested. Range adjustments for 40gr bullet are right on. I pumped a lot of rounds through the 10/22 it is mounted on, and it just keeps on being excellent.
Can't talk to a Bushnell for .17 or .22 but I have always been pretty satisfied with Bushnell products in general. Nikon is one of my favorites in the moderate price ranges. I have the Laser IRT with BDC and "from my cold dead hands" is the only way to get that one away from me. But I regress, you probably would not want one of those on a .17.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic