OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thoughts on this.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on this.
    Posted: November/09/2007 at 11:07
6119 Nikon 16x50 Action 7223, Black rubber armored finish, center focus, porro prisms, BaK4 high index prisms, like new condition, factory refurbished. $190.00 $89.95
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 14:49
I had one, sold it. What are you going to do with it?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 14:50

it will mainly be used for deer hunting.the max i will be looking out to will be 400 yards or so.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 14:58

Have you ever owned any other binoculars?

16x is NOT a hunting binocular, it would require a mononpod to keep it steady.

A 10x at 400 yds. brings your sight picture down to the equivalent of 40 yds.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 15:01

Bio's are a new world to me.i am looking for something that will bring what i'm looking at very close up.It makes it easyer to score on the hoof that way.

So i'm on a low budget and looking for something that wil work for what i have stated.But then again i have no clue about them.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 15:04

The Nikon Action is NOT waterproof/fogproof.

Look for something in the Nikon Action Extreme ATB either an 8x40 or a 7x50.

Also consider the Pentax PCF WP II in an 8x40.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 15:09

Okay thanks I'll take a look at them and see what i can come up with

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 15:12
Just drop into one of your local sporting goods stores and check out some of their binoculars.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 15:13

will do

So i should go with a 8x or 7 x and not a 10x

what about this one

Nikon 10x50 Action 7204, Black rubber armored, porro prisms, BaK4 high index prisms, quick smooth central focusing, like new condition, factory refurbished. $200.00 $79.95

Edited by Bigdaddy0381

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 15:15

For a first time binocular 10x is usually too "shakey" and the view will be too narrow.

Stick with either 7x or 8x.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 15:17

Okay.i will see what come across the sample list for me.

Thanks bird for the info

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 15:18
You're welcome B.D.
windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 18:36
HI powered sounds romantic at first but... imagine walking around looking at the world through a drinking straw... thats what bino's are like that are too strong.
Better to get something that you can hold, then have a backup stronger pair of monocular's or just use the scope on your gun once you get something spotted to get further detail. If your on a stand, a spotting scope is obviously nice... but not practicle for on the move.

Some people will buy a "doubler" or tripler that pops on the front of one of the eyepieces on one of the barrels of your binocs and you instantly have more power once you get something spotted.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 19:18

wind,

A doubler goes on the eyepiece end of the binocular.

Looking through high magnification binoculars does not look anything like seeing through a drinking straw, UNLESS, you have a binocular with too little eye relief, or, you are looking through an inexpensive zoom binocular.

Yes, higher magnification binoculars have a smaller field of view, BUT, because you are using both eyes, the viewing can be, and is, very rewarding. Often times it depends on your subject.  The smaller the object you are viewing the more detail you can see, with higher magnification.

I use binoculars all the way from 7x to 30x, and it is alot of fun and enjoyment.  Obviously, the higher the magnification, the greater the level of support you will need, similar to a telephoto lens on a 35mm camera.  

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 20:39
I like 7x42 binos for hunting. They are small enough to be easy to carry and large enough to hold steady for extensive glassing. Mine are twenty year old Zeiss and I'm sure you can get better glasses now for a reasonable price.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 20:48

tahqua,

Are you almost ready to give a review on your 15x80mm?

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 21:38

I'm going up on Sunday for a week of hunting at Whitefish Point, Michigan. Though I have spent a little time looking at ships and the 3/4 moon the last time up I wanted to spend more time using them.

I'll be back on 11/19 to post.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2007 at 23:45
Birdwatcher, I think you misunderstood my point.... if you are "walking", looking through 15X bino's, the more you will see up close, but the less you can see around.

By the simple notion that what you see is brought up closer.... all the more you miss the surroundings.... bad for hunting... but good for spotting once you have already found your animal.

I think if someone went hunting with thier 15X binos, they would be very lucky to find anything unless they tripped right over it.

I got the impression he was hunting within a couple of hundred yards as is most hunting... if your panning mountainsides from great distances.... that changes the story.

As far as the doubler placement... sorry I wasn't clear on that either.."pops on the front of one of the eyepieces on one of the barrels of your binocs"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 09:35

wind,

Thanks for the clarification, good point.

High magnification is not for "close in" hunting, FOV is much more important.

He did mention 400 yards max., and at that distance 16x is overkill for large game.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 09:48
These binos are so expensive... I certainly have been trying to figure out a way to have the best of both worlds.... I settled with an 8.5 X 42... I hope to get the doubler soon as it would be small and still maintain a final result of excellent quality picture by attaching to my already high end binos....

the alternative would be a monocular that I'm afraid would cost much more for the same quality of picture and possibly be much bigger and bulkier to boot.

The best solution "for me" would be an excellent gun scope that had some high power alternatives with the adjustments....probably faster than grappling for a monocular hidden away in whatever pocket....the doubler may present the same hindrances.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic