OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Savage Model 93R17-JTV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Savage Model 93R17-JTV
    Posted: November/08/2007 at 02:37

I just joined this forum today as I was searching around and stumbled upon this nice website.

I bought a Savage .17 HMR with a colorful laminated thumbhole stock a couple days ago , threw this scope on I had laying around and went out earlier today,

and it took me 40 rounds to get my Simmons 4 x 32 8 point full view scope adjusted. There is no zoom to this scope, it is fixed as it is.

Sure enough this shoots amazing, as my groups were nice and tight, I do think I need a better scope for longer

distance shots, plus my eyes have a hard time finding the holes in anything at and past the 50 yd target through the scope.

I'm already getting the hairy eye from my wife for buying yet another gun, so the scope cant be too much money.

I would like to keep close to the barrel with medium weaver rings like the one I have but be able to see where my target hits are on a paper 100 yds away.

Also the adjustments on the Simmons I have seem pretty drastic per click.

I know very little about scopes, anyone have any suggestions for improvement?

I looked around some in the forum, I apologize if I missed a similar forum post and duplicated a topic.

Thanks!

Edited by sigsmoker
Legs in the Air View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 19:57

That is sweet! I have a plain jane Savage in .17 hmr (black synthetic, no accutrigger) and it shoots dime sized groups at 100 yds, no bs.

I've got plans to get one like yours next spring,  was thinking the brown laminate but yours looks so good! Definitely going to get stainless barrell and put on a silver finish scope to finish it.  Keeping the black savage too,  just too accurate.

Anyway, as to your question I think the .17 's range is out to about 175yds max for consistent lethal hits. I've hit ground squirrels at 200 but sometimes takes the whole clip! If you're shootin bigger p-dogs then a good 3-9 power would probably be alright. Ground squirrels look pretty small to me at 150-175 so I would consider going up to a 12 power upper limit or more.

My choice: P-dogs 3-9 X 40 Bushnell elite 3200 or 4200  

Ground squirrells 4.5-14 X 40 Nikon Buckmaster

I think these scopes will be well suited to this gun and will compliment a beautiful weapon.

Just 'cause there's clouds on the horizon doesn't mean it's gonna rain...
sigsmoker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 12:02

I believe you on the groups. I'm going to the gunshop today for more ammo and look at the scopes you mentioned.

BTW, Legs, thank you for answering my post. It sat here a while and was read a good number of times.

I did find another post that mentioned a sweet 17 from cabelas from BSA but then I went to eBay and found that some guy had two lots of 5 each up for sale and they were beat to heck. Maybe the BSA ones I saw were used in harsh paintball battles on rentals but now cabelas has a scope for 17's that are inexpensive.

They are selling a line of their own called PINE RIDGE http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0037602712531a.shtml

Theres no recoil and I don't throw my firearms in the back of the pickup like a bag of rocks so I think any scope will stay fairly in line and unbroken on my new rifle.

Well, thanks again for answering, I am sure I can get an education here on this forum.

Obviously, I am trying to stay on the $100 to $150 range spending at the most. But a bargain can be had and a scope is used the day I put it on my rifle used or new out of the box so I might find a good used one somewhere.

Edited by sigsmoker
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 13:47
You might consider a Mueller scope some great reviews espesicall on rimfirecentral.com
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Legs in the Air View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legs in the Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2007 at 01:02

I've heard some negative reviews on bsa and mueller. Apparantley some are good and some are lemons.

In the budget you mentioned maybe consider a Simmons? Don't have one myself but have heard they are good for not much $$$.

In used scopes, keep your eyes open at gun shops and trade shows for Bushnells. They seem to be the old standby.

As far as ammo, I stick to the polymer tip for gophers. The HP hits the bigger chucks and dogs harder but I find that it floats around a bit at longer ranges. Maybe just my imagination but confidence in your load is a big factor, at least to me it is....

Just 'cause there's clouds on the horizon doesn't mean it's gonna rain...
sigsmoker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2007 at 21:52

I appreciate the post replies. I went back to the gunshop today and bought some more ammo and I think I will probably just buy the lowest priced Bushnell they have which he tells me he put on hundreds of 22's

I do believe it is a Bushnell Sportsman Riflescope Matte 3-9 X 32 Multi X

It lists at competitor for 49.99 but the gun shop selles them for about 34.00 plus tax. If it don't work, not much lost there.

I might try to grab a deal on eBay yet but I am pretty sure I'll give this inexpensive Bushnell a shot. 

I really like this rifle and I know it deserves an elite 3200. If he has a good deal on one of those, as they list for $200. to  $300. and I just don't have that kind of money.

I have a decent collection of firearms, One at least for every purpose, but I am not an extra avid shooter. I get on a kick and do some handgunning, some hunting, or just some target practice to have a little fun, but it is not my main hobby.

I have a lot of other interests and hobbies too. I don't care what the guy on the bench next to me thinks about my scope either.

Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 22:44

Put this on it.  You will love it, I promise

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10570-1505-mueller-45-14x40-apv-rifle scope.aspx

The Bushnell Sportsman you looked at was a fair value at $34 plus tax.  But it can't hold a candle to the APV.  Even if you have to get new rings to use the APV you still will be less than $150

Hairyeye on the wife?  That's a new one to me, but I like it!

sigsmoker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 18:25

The SWFA site you post offers this Mueller at the best price I can find for that model.

I looked around and found some more info on it and checked eBay and gunbroker

and came back to your post clicked on buy and got as close as checkout and ...

I went and ordered the scope you promised I'll love. I got a scope sunshade to boot,

and I do understand why Ralphie sleeps with his Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!
I'll post some pics when the bipod arrives and the scope etc and I put it on my sweet .17

Thanks in advance. I bought it through this SWFA tonight, couldn't sleep til I did that.

Edited by sigsmoker
sigsmoker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 16:46

All set now, my scope arrived quickly and well packaged from SWFA ( Thank you! )

Went today to have it properly mounted and boresighted, had to get high weaver mounts,

as even medium were too low for the APV adjustment.

Next stop is the range for some tuning in and will post my 100 yd results.

PS: I cleaned up some of my earlier posts.

Edited by sigsmoker
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 16:51

VERY Nice, Smoker!! Please give as a range report when you can.

Awesome sigline too!!

I love "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest"....  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2007 at 14:08
You will LOVE IT......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2007 at 19:45
That is a very nice looking rig. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 06:38
That .17 is smok'n, Sig, looking forward to your results.
sigsmoker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sigsmoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2007 at 17:08

I am very pleased with this setup and the scope seems fine for now.

These shots are probably at about 35 yds.

I took it out to fine tune after the bore site job and it was off by 8 or 9 inches at 1 o'clock.

After a few adjustments, the results are right on.

These shots were not taken from a good bench rest and the sun was faster going down than the fine tuning and setup could be done, so this is the first decent adjustment.

From a good bench rest on a calm day, nice and comfortable and maybe a click here and a click there, I would not be a bit surprised if this group could be duplicated at 2 or three times the distance with very little effort.

My report is, the scope is awesome for the money, the rifle is awesome for many reasons.

I have had 20 or 30 firearms in my life and I would recommend this setup that costs less than 500.00 all said and done to anyone.

I plan to keep this for the rest of my life.

Oh and yes, I love the Mueller 4.5-14x40 APV scope, thank you for recommending it, it is just right.

The red circle is 3 and 1/4 inches across, the inside white circle is 1 and 1/4 inches across and the circle within that is 5/8 inches across.

I have been making a photo gallery too of my modest working mans collection. You can click on it down there at my signature under sigsmoker's stuff.

Edited by sigsmoker
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 00:06

Nice collection you got going there sigsmoker.  I believe the Weatherby Vanguard also uses the same Howa action as your Mossy 1500, as did the Smith & Wesson rifle of a few years ago.

I have been lusting for a 32 like yours for awhile.  I need it like a hole in the head, but you know how that goes.

I don't know if you have heard yet, but Hornady has just released a new LeverEvolution load for the 32 Winchester Special.  Turns the old girl into a 300+ yard deer rifle. 

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=762

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 11:12

Nice collection. I hope you never touch that 94, what a sweetie.

Good shooting, too!

Edited by tahqua
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2007 at 14:18
You will like the Mueller.  I have several, including the Tac II and they all have performed well.  In fact, while the Tac II is made in Japan and suppose to be their best scope, I am not sure the glass appears better in some of their other scopes, but I have not made a direct comparison.  Nice rifle, I have one in a standard wooden stock and I can hit quarters all day long at 100 yards.  Nice looking set up and welcome to the OT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic