OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trigger work for Rem 700

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trigger work for Rem 700
    Posted: November/07/2007 at 18:09

I have a 700 BDL in .223 that has an absolute horrible trigger.  I didn't really know it until I got a few of the Savage Accu-Triggers!  I will have a smith do the work..... so do I want to go with an all new trigger or is the current one a good candidate for adjusting?

My local competitor have Timley's and maybe one other.  Let me know what you all think.

BTW....... just 2 days to opening day of rifle Deer season 

take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 21:01

Tip69,

First, when you say the trigger is horrible, do you object most to the pull weight, creep, overtravel, or all the above?  Any or all of those things are fully adjustable on the Remington trigger, but if you want a pull weight lower than about 2.5 lbs, you will need to either get a smith to work on it, or buy an aftermarket trigger.  The Timney triggers are good, adjustable to a crisp 1.5 - 2 lbs or so safely.  It is a good option for an excellent hunting trigger.  The Rifle Basix triggers in my opinion are a little better than Timney.  Like the Timney, their hunting model is adjustable down to about 1.5 lbs min. pull weight, which for general hunting is bordering on too light.  However, they also have 3 other models, so if your .223 is a precision varmint rifle, they have a varmint model adjustable down to 8 oz. pull weight.  They also have a competition model adjustable down to 2 oz.

In my opinion, the absolute best aftermarket trigger for the Remington 700 is the Jewell.  It is extremely well designed and made, adjustable down to about 1.5 oz in the competition model, but in hunting configuration, you can adjust it from 1/2 lb. to 3.5 lb. pull.  You can adjust the Jewell to have no perceptible creep or overtravel.

Good luck on your deer hunting!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 03:20

Adjust the trigger you have yourself.

Very easy to do and Rem triggers are good, but just need some TLC to sweeten them up.

I got my Rem factory trigger down to a CLEAN 2 1/4 lb pull. People that shoot my rifle think the triggers aftermarket.

Nothing wrong with Ted's advise about the aftermarket triggers, but after adjusting your Rem trigger you may be happy enough. I was.

I think a good pull for a big game rig is around 3-3.5 lbs.

Several places online show you how to do it.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 06:58
Yes, the Remington trigger is actually pretty good.  2.5 lbs. is plenty light enough for most hunting duty.  The fact the rifle is in .223, I thought there was a chance that perhaps it could be a precision varmint rifle, in which case, you might want the trigger to safely break at a weight below the factory trigger's minimum safe limits.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 07:04
I have to throw this out, though.  If you aren't experienced with trigger function, PLEASE be sure you thoroughly understand how the trigger works, the safety ramifications of trigger work in general, and the consequences of getting it wrong.  After making adjustments, always thoroughly test the trigger with an unloaded rifle to try to make the trigger slam fire before considering it "safe."  If in doubt, PLEASE err on the side of safety and either don't set it too borderline light, don't mess with sear engagement if creep isn't objectionable, or have a gunsmith do it for you.  It certainly isn't hard, but the consequences of setting it to an unsafe condition is very grave.
Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 08:03

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I have to throw this out, though.  If you aren't experienced with trigger function, PLEASE be sure you thoroughly understand how the trigger works, the safety ramifications of trigger work in general, and the consequences of getting it wrong.  After making adjustments, always thoroughly test the trigger with an unloaded rifle to try to make the trigger slam fire before considering it "safe."  If in doubt, PLEASE err on the side of safety and either don't set it too borderline light, don't mess with sear engagement if creep isn't objectionable, or have a gunsmith do it for you.  It certainly isn't hard, but the consequences of setting it to an unsafe condition is very grave.

I agree with Ted on this 100%.  Trigger adjusment is not that difficult, once you understand the trigger mechanism, but when it comes to adjustment of sear engagement a little goes a long way and testing like Ted says is a must.  And if you are inexperienced, do not get out the Arkansas stone for trimming, that should definately be left up to a gunsmith.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 08:31
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I agree with Ted on this 100%.  Trigger adjusment is not that difficult, once you understand the trigger mechanism, but when it comes to adjustment of sear engagement a little goes a long way and testing like Ted says is a must.  And if you are inexperienced, do not get out the Arkansas stone for trimming, that should definately be left up to a gunsmith.

I agree with letting someone else do the work.We do them for 75 buck's and will not go under 3pounds.I have seen way to many people atempt and have pin drop when the bolt closes. but rem trigger can be made very nice.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 10:42

I'm not sure what all I would want changed....... it might just be the weight.  Thanks for all the advice. I will take to a smith and get it lowered and go from there.  I was comparing to the Savage Accu trigger....... and that's where the "horrible" comment came from.

It's good to know that I don't have to buy a new one...... although I hope I don't have to pay $75!

take em!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 11:09
Make sure you get an estimate up front, but be specific on what you would like adjusted, meaning the weight of pull, creep, overtravel, etc..
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 13:04

Good idea..... I think I'll make a list before I go....... that should help with any surprises!

take em!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 13:39

WORD!!!

Good stuff, Ted.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 20:49

Talked to a smith today...... said he's worked on lots of 700 triggers......... can clean it all up for $35.00.  Will be dropping it off next week!

I asked him about the BAR's too........ they have a lot of creep and too heavy.  He said not much can be done with them because they are "Shotgun" triggers......... Did any of you guys know that?........ but he would give it a try.

take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2007 at 20:41
Picked up my .223 yesterday and went to the range this morning...... The trigger is awesome!  I can't believe how much difference there is in 3 lbs!  It was set at 6.5 lbs at the factory and the smith got it down to 3.5.  I wouldn't have guessed it was that heavy....felt like I barely touched it and it went off.  Shot the best group of my life.  I'll try to post a pic soon.
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2007 at 21:28
take em!
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 05:48
nice group!  Did you shoot handloads or factory rounds?  just curious.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 06:04
Nice stuff, glad you got the trigger cleaned up. I have recently fitted a Timney, and for pull weight they are not adjustable below 2-2,5lbs.  I also had a problem with the Timney safety. So you probably got the best deal by just cleaning the Remington up.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 17:10
Good shootin, Tipster!!

A cleaned up Remington trigger is good to go indeed!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 18:45
hmm maybe i should get my 788 and my 673 triggers done
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2007 at 22:18
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

hmm maybe i should get my 788 and my 673 triggers done

If you ever manage to come down for some hog hunting with me as we talked about, bring those rifles with you and I'll tune 'em up.

Good shooting, Tip69!  Glad to hear you got your trigger set to your liking.  A good trigger is very helpful, if not essential to realizing your rifle's full accuracy potential.  It doesn't make the rifle more accurate, but it makes you capable of more consistent shooting, which translates into greater realized accuracy. 

Edited by RifleDude - December/06/2007 at 22:26
Ted

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 08:46
Thanks guys.  I forgot to post the specifics..... I was shooting factory loads and I'm a little embarrassed to say I'm not sure what they were.  I know they were of the cheaper 
variety.   Imagine what that rifle might do with hand loads! 
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic