OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Caliber ?s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND_HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caliber ?s
    Posted: October/19/2004 at 19:18
I know this is for scope questions, but I think that most of you guys on here know your guns too so my question is, what caliber gun do I put on my Ziess Conquest 3x9? A 300 winchester mag or the new 300 WSSM?
dwtz28 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwtz28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 19:54

Short Mag, or Weatherby Mag

Z-28

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 21:11

I guess that boils down to do you like short or long actioms?  Are you more comfortable shooting a full-size rifle or one of the smaller, shall we say carbine sized rifles? 

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 21:33
The short mag's have sure gotten their fair share of advertising and do offer advantages over their longer cousins. Most people seem to feel that when all things are equal, the 300 WSM is more accurate than the 300 Win. Mag. I have heard on more than one occasion that the short mag's don't " Feed" as smooth as the long versions. Lighter guns based on shorter actions will recoil more which is just a plain fact of life. If you plan on any travel to far away places you will be less likely to find short mag ammo than long ( 300 WSM vs 300 Win Mag.) in the event that your ammo gets lost during travel. In short you have to decide what you need for your hunting adventures.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 14:10

either one would work, but i think i would get a 300 win mag, because ammo is more readily available.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 17:37

No practical difference in field performance. 

Look at both guns, figure out which one is better balanced and has a better trigger.  There is not enough difference between 300 Winmag and 300 WSM to speak of.  All the hoopla in the gun magazines is mostly marketing buzz. 

As for accuracy claims, a good trigger will do more for your shooting in the field than anything else.

Ilya

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 17:54

also, the 300 shortmags ussually will have some trouble with jamming, regardless of what the company may advertise, such as "controlled feed", it will still jump the rim, and not cycle a round, the last round in my 300 SA ultra, i have to open the drop floorplate a little for the last round to chamber.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 18:04

If you reload, take the WSM. If not, you can buy quality ammo for a .300 Winnie almost anywhere, as already has been stated.

I'll probably stick with my 'ol .300 Win mag.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 19:49
ND Hunter, I think everyone has pretty much covered all the bases for all practical purposes. One thing that I think that was not addressed was scope ring spacing, which could be an issue should you decide to go with a 300 Win Mag ( long action ). I think Ranburr would be able to address this one due to the fact that he owns several 3-9 x40 Zeiss Conquest's. If you went with the 300 WSM this would be a non-issue due to the short action. I will add one bit of advise with regards to either choice you decide to go with and that is to give yourself plenty of eye relief, especially if you go with the 300 WSM because as I mentioned before, recoil will be stout. I have a Kimber 8400 Classic ( wood stocked ) in 300 WSM, and despite it's great stock design and Decelerator recoil pad it packs a punch!!!
boisedarc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boisedarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 21:08
I noticed in the original question you were asking about a 300 WSSM, not 300 WSM. The WSSM is a super short magnum, stay away from it! They are not only barrel burners, but USRAC is admitantly having a host of problems with the WSSM design in all calibers. People are having problems extracing fired cases due to extreme pressure levels. I have heard very good about the 300 WSM. If I was making the decision I would opt for the 300 Win Mag. Like Redneck said the ammo is readily available and will always be.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 06:35

is there even a 300 WSSM made, i though tit was just the 223 WSSM, 243 WSSM, 25 WSSM, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, and 300WSM.

cory

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 19:25

Long action cartidges that are shortened get called WSM and short action cartidges that are shortened get called WSSM.

The .300WinMag is a long action cartidge.

I never jumped on board with the SAM hype.  Especially with the .300SAUM where IMO you gain nothing in performance.

One can talk about bolt flex and the height of the powder column but there really isn't allot of real life data or advatage to the short action magnum.

I ask people if they already have a .300WM, and I do.  Well, if you already have one, get another one, no use in adding another cartidge and along with the ammo; the reloading dies to purchase.  If it is your first, your call.  I am happy to see most here seem to agree

I think one thing not touched on was a common loss of one round in the internal box mag capacity.

The only short mag interesting to me is the .270WSM.  You actually get on average 200more fps with various factory ammunation and of course, more is achievable.   Now your getting something without the extra recoil.  A Rem 700 chambered in 6.8SPC is also interesting.  Ahh, those .277's.

Edited by Boomholzer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic