OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron scope just came in....need help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron scope just came in....need help.
    Posted: November/07/2007 at 07:57

Guys I just recieved my Sightron Big Sky 4-16x42 A/O scope yesterday and I'm not happy at all.  My brother has a Bushnell Legend that has clearer/sharper optics than the Sightron!  We were looking about 200 yards and trying to read a satellite dish on top of a house.....the Legend is clear and I cannot get the Sightron to focus correctly.  No matter how much you try to dial in that adjustable objective it's still a little blurry.  Did I get a lemon?

Should I send the scope back to Sightron for a new one or should I get my money back?  By the way I would of went for a 4200 but they didn't have 4-16 power with mil dots.  I have heard that a few of these newer sightrons had some bugs to get worked out so wondering if I got one of the bugs, but for a $500 scope this should be top notch.

Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 09:24
You must have gotten a Lemon, I just received my 4-16X42 AO on Thursday of last week and couldn't be happier. I have spent a few hours with it comparing a Kahles AH, Bushnell 4200, Meopta Meostar and a borrowed Nikon Monarch.

In my evaluation, the Sightron 4-16X42 has held it own with all 4.

Kahles 3.5-10X50 ----    Slight advantage in clarity... A bit touchy on eye relief
Bushnell 4200 4-16X40  Equal in clarity... Eye relief to short for me.
Nikon Monarch 4-16X42 Sightron a bit better on clarity.....Nice eye relief
Meostar 4-16X44  Couldn't tell the difference in clarity between the 2

All in all, the Sightron has the most forgiving "eye box" I have every looked through. Glass is awesome at the price point.
All were looked through at 4, 7, and 10 powers. I would give the Kahles about 5-10 extra minutes off shooting light. The negative on the Sightron for me was the lack of a 4A reticle and the plex is a bit fine. The Sightron isn't coming off my 300 WSM unless something happens to it. Was very easy to get reticle and focus adjusted to my liking.

The comparison was done with letters, numbers and images on paper plates at 100 yards. Cloudy, no moonlight.

Have Fun

Rob
Peteair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 09:36
Thanks for the info Rob.  Yea definitely sounds like I got a lemon so guess I'll try my luck again and send it back for a replacement. 
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 12:26

How about the adjustment on the near end for diopters correction does it work correctly? Sightron usualy has good quality control

Duce

Duce
Peteair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 12:44

Called up Sightron and was told it's a quality control issue.  Guess I just have bad luck, especially since now I gotta wait till December 1st because that model scope is backordered...

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

How about the adjustment on the near end for diopters correction does it work correctly? Sightron usualy has good quality control

Duce

I agree, I would check the fast focus on the front before call it quits with that particular scope.

Peteair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 15:09
I used the fast focus to adjust until the reticle was clear, the image around is still a little blurry at 200 yards.
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 15:17
What does the image do if you adjust the AO?

Rob
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 15:51

If you are at the age of needing bifocals it can sometimes be difficult to get the fast focus and the objective focused at the same time and can take a bit of experimenting to get a clear picture.

Duce 

Duce
Peteair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 16:20

The A/O makes the image less blurry, but it still doesn't focus as it should.  It's hard to tell at short distances with less magnification, but it's obvious when I'm reading a satellite dish at 200 yards.  With the Legend it was clear as day (I could actually read DISH on the satellite) and I could never get the Sightron as clear no matter how much I adjusted the A/O (I could make out that there was something written on the satellite, but couldn't tell what it said).  By the way the Sightron is much much brighter than the Legend, but had a hard time believing that the bushy has clearer optics.  I'm gonna send my scope back to Sightron tommorow and wait for a replacement. 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 16:26

Sorry for your trouble, friend.

Please keep us updated on Sightron's CS.

"Supposed" to be good to go, or so I've read.

Peteair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 16:55

I'd have to say Sightron was super friendly and helpful on the phone.  She even told me when they should be recieving the next batch in (this model is backordered), so it gave me the choice to go through the retailer where I bought it or just send it to the company.  Well the retailer is sold out (yup popular model) and it's quicker for me to send it to Sightron.  I'll have to let you guys know how it turns out in a month or so....but so far A+ for customer service.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 18:31
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

If you are at the age of needing bifocals it can sometimes be difficult to get the fast focus and the objective focused at the same time and can take a bit of experimenting to get a clear picture.

Duce 

Again, I agree with Duce.  It is interesting, I wear reading glasses and some of my scopes required that I use them to get a clear precise image, while others do not require the use of them and this is regardless of the price of the scope.  That is one more thing I would make sure that is not needed. 

Peteair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 20:28
I've been wearing contacts for years and never had a problem looking through any other scopes.  Sending out the scope so the new one should solve the problem. 
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 11:13
Good luck, I am sure the new one will work fine.
Peteair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 10:54

Sightron recieved the scope and gave me a call to let me know what's going on.  They said that the windage was 80% maxed out and elevation was at 60%.  He pretty much said that you're looking through the corner of the glass at this point and that's why the optical clarity was off.  Funny thing was I never mounted the scope and showed up this way....just my luck!  So now I'll be waiting for my zero'd scope to come in and hopefully that takes care of it.

So can this damage the scope if the settings (windage + elevation) were left like this for a while?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 11:06
That is surprising.  If a scope has been properly designed and made, it should be clear regardless of where the W/E adjustments are set.  While there is certainly deterioration near the edges of the lenses that should not be noticeably affecting the operation of the scope from a user perspective.

Let us know what it looks like when you get the scope back.

ILya
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2007 at 11:29

I would bet you scope looks just like it did when you sent it in, like Koshkin said that should not make a difference.

If they still have the scope I would ask them for another techs opinion.

Duce 

Duce
Peteair View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peteair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 17:30

I got my scope back and you guys were right....the windage and elevation didn't make a difference.  It just looks like the sightron is cloudy/white compared to the legend.  The legend looks like it has much better color contrast.  And again I'm testing both these scopes at 15 power and looking at a satellite dish around 200 yards away.  With the legend it was easy to see the writing on the dish, but it was tough to make out the writing with the sightron.  Just ended up sending the scope back to them (2nd time now) and hope they'll just send me a new replacement....not good timing with hunting season here lol.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 17:36
Demand a brand new scope!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic