OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Scopes
    Posted: October/19/2004 at 15:35
I was thinking of getting a Burris FF2 3-9x40 with the spotter.Are these good quality or should I get a Bushnell Elite 3200 or Leupold VX2?I will be putting it on a 270wsm.I was thinking of getting a Ruger,Tikka,or Browing.Don't know which rifle either.Maybe you can help here also.Thanks. 
"But GOD commenedeth HIS love toward us,in that,while we were yet sinners,CHRIST died for us" ROM.5:8
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 15:46

I don't think you beat the Burris for quality at this price range.

ranburr

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2004 at 15:55

one awesome, and tuff scope

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
hilltop4200 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 14:21
Thank you for your replies.I was also wondering about the  quality of the spotter.I will possibly use it for target shooting.I have just about decided on the Burris.All help appreciated.
"But GOD commenedeth HIS love toward us,in that,while we were yet sinners,CHRIST died for us" ROM.5:8
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 15:21
One more scope I have a ? about.That is Leatherwood.How are they?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 16:34

I've been told (on this forum) that Leatherwood uses crappy chinese scopes.

Ilya

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2004 at 17:56

the spotter is fairly nice, i havnt seen any problems. and i cannot comment on leatherwood.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Shamus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 12:26

I'd probably go with the Burris or the Bushnell 3200 depending on whether the rainguard anti-fog coating that's on the Elite is something that you'd need.  The Burris is a really good scope (but be aware that it's made in the Philippines not the USA) and it comes with a decent little spotter too.  Both the Elites and the Burris come with lifetime,  any-owner warranties. 

As far as the rifle is concerned, I'd grab a Tikka as quickly as you can since they are getting hard to find.  I've got two (7mag and 270win)  and I don't think you can find a better rifle for near the money.  They are extremely accurate, their adjustable triggers have got to be the best I've ever sampled on a stock rifle, and the fit/finish are second to none.  Check the net for reviews and you'll see why they are getting hard to find.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 13:03

Elite 3200 certainly has Rainguard going for it.  Aside from that though, Burris Fullfield II is better optically than Elite 3200 and, IMO, better than the VX II.  Fullfield II is assembled in the Phillipines out of American made parts.  I have not heard any complaints on the quality of it.

I own a Tikka in 280 Remington, and I it is the best allround gun I have.  However, the best out of the box trigger honors, go to Savage 12FV with Accutrigger, IMO.

Ilya

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 18:39
Shamus,where should I check on the net?
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 19:08

Why not a Remington or Savage? 

A-bolts are nice.  Browning blueing is pretty but not very robust so keep that in mind.

I am not a fan of Ruger bolt centerfire rifles, a M77 would be my last choice out of every other major brand.

I would like a T3 varminter, nice rifles. Google for "Tikka T3" and look around. http://www.ozarkguns.com

If you go the route of Savage, avoid the synthetic stocks.

With me, there is added advantage in a Savage or Reminton as I could use the action somewhere in the future if I wished to build a target rifle.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 23:17
Sorry to be a bother.I do like the Remington and Savage.I have about decided on the Burris.Seems to be a popular scope.I was wondering why it is getting harder to get the Tikka.I would prefer it first in 270wsm.Would this rifle scope combo be good?Thanks again.
Shark Bait View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shark Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2004 at 23:33

I just bought a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .270 WSM after reading all of the great reviews. Have yet to get it to the range. I am also stuck on which scope to get. Most of my other rifles have higher power scopes (couple listed below), but I think that might ruin the handiness of this gun. It only weighs 6.3 lbs.. I may end up with the weaver GS 3-10x40. I am surprised no-one mentioned the Grand Slam. I think it is at least on par with the FFII and 3200. What say ye guys?

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .270 WSM - ?????????????

Weatherby BGM in .300 Wthby - Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-10x40

Lazzeroni 2000 in 7.21 Firebird - Burris Signature 4.5-14 x42 posi lock

Rem. Sendero SF in .25-06 - Weaver 4.5-14 x 40

Ruger M77 Varmint in .22-250 - Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 6.4-24 x 40

Edited by Shark Bait
2ndtimer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2ndtimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2004 at 01:56
I have a pair of Burris Fullfield II 3x9 scopes mounted on a Model 70 Super Shadow in .270WSM, and on a Howa Lightning 1500 chambered in  6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.  Both have the Ballistic Plex reticle and seem to work great.  I was going to go for Leupold VX-1's but the free spotter offer was too good to pass up.  I suppose my scopes were assembled in the Phillipines or wherever, but they are working fine and are bright and clear.  While the spotting scope is only fair to middling, it is very compact and light weight, and works fine for resolving 6.5mm bullet holes in targets at 100 yards.  We hunted a little bit with them last weekend and exposed the new scopes to some pretty bad weather, but they seem to have survived just fne.  Unfortunately, they are unable to see through fog, but that would be my only complaint.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2004 at 16:32
O.K.My dealer can't get a Tikka.Seems all distributors are sold out completely.Will I be making a big mistake with the Ruger in 308 with the Burris 3-9 on top?Please help.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2004 at 11:29

YES, RUGER SUCKS!!!!!

cory

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2004 at 13:30

Hilltop 4200, I don't think your dealer is trying very hard.  I see Tikkas everywhere.  In fact I saw at least three dozen yesterday.  What part of the country are you in?

ranburr

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hilltop4200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2004 at 21:58
I am in TN.I need help to locate a supplier with these rifles.Again thank you guys for all the help. 
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2004 at 22:07

I hardly never purchase rifles from local dealers.  I purchase rifles through local dealer's FFL.

Get online or get a Shotgun News.  Decide what you want, switching to a different model/brand because one dealer can't get one is lame.

Youngs Guns is in TN, I have done business with them before.

And Ruger does suck.

Shamus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2004 at 00:01

Here are the Tikka 270WSM that are available right now through gunbroker auctions - you'll need to find a local dealer for the person who's selling the rifle to deliver it to (must be an FFL holder) and the local dealer will charge you a fee ($30 ish?)  But hey, they are out there...

T3 Lite blued/synthetic ($520)

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=24741877

T3 stainless/laminate ($650)

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=24573226

same gun ($720)

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=24593376

T3 Hunter blued/walnut ($560)

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=24570179

same gun ($605)

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=24556321

Edited by Shamus
 Post Reply Post Reply