OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Post your Rigs here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 58>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 10:35

168 gr. smk or hornady match usually give about 2600 to 2700 fps.

in 308's

Edited by Dale Clifford
Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 19:28
The first gun is a 308 Winchester with a6.5X20X40
Pooreyes-2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pooreyes-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 19:38

This one is a mark V that I sent off and had the camo added. Its a 270 topped with a Swarovski 6X18X50 TDS

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 03:54

These are my rigs:

30-06 Heym Left Hand, topped with a 3-9x40 Lynx scope. This rifle shoots sub MOA all day and have accounted for a lot of good hunting.

This is my current favourite hunting rifle: 300H&H Sako topped with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold. This rifle has had a new lefthand stock and a new barrel fitted. It has accounted for its fair share of game, but performance has been somewhat erratic due to several issues such as the stock, barrel and now trigger. I believe I have everything sorted now and am looking forward to settle down with the rifle for some rock solid dependable hunting.

And this is the new baby I am waiting for: A rem700 VSF LH. The babyroom is ready, I have stocked up with food (bullets), nappies (rifle case) and some optics (Leupold 8,5-25x50)

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2007 at 10:24
thats no joke about a new baby to feed
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 16:18
Ok, the next several pics. are of my next to last custom rifle.  A .243 Winchester that began life as a Parker Hale barreled action.  Every thing redone from top to bottom, metal and wood.  The original stock was tossed and a semi-inletted and formed was finished and glass bedded.  Shoots one quarter inch groups with hand loads (100 grain Sierra Gamekings with VV powder, Remington cases and primers.)  Pics taken while bored in the stand on a bear hunt in Hyde County NC, home of the largest black bears in the world, with the world's record coming from a couple counties over at 880 lbs.

Just a few more pics. of the land we were hunting and my ugly mug on a deer hunt this past weekend in a stand.  Skunked again, except for about 10 deer that came out to my left at 482 yards to my left.  Only left me with about 700 and some ft-lbs. of energy at that distance with my .243 Winchester.  I declined on the shot.  The next day day at 150 yards, no deer.  In the next frame, I will show you the land.
The deer came out just to the right of the small mobile home.  You can barely see my 87 Dodge Ram pick up to the left of the mobile home.

Edited by Dolphin - November/27/2007 at 16:33
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2007 at 17:07
Nice pics, Thanks Dolphin.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2007 at 23:53
Here is the end result of my latest project.

This was my 270 that I had a horse roll on and break my stock.  Finished this new stock just before thanksgiving.  My bro in law and one of my brothers friends shot two deer the friday after.  Shoots as good as ever (1/2 in groups at 100 yards).

It is Mauser 98 Military action.  The barrel was machined and matched to the action by Voere Firearms in 1968 and shipped to the US that year.  This was the gun my father bought me when I was twelve and started big game hunting.  Best shooting gun I have.
I did put a timney trigger and safety on it.  I wish I could have kept the tang safety, but couldn't swing it with the thumbhole stock, but I like the feel of the stock much better.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 11:13
Nice job, we won't tell pyro6999 that it is a .270 Winchester.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 11:15
That's some nice work there, Congrats.

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 11:31
Over the last couple years I have slowly gotten into gun smithing, minus barrel work, as I do not own a lathe, which I hope to acquire in the next couple years when I have the money and space.  I have not had to, but I am quite sure I could chamber a blank barrel with a clymer hand tool.  The problem comes when trying to get the correct headspace and stamping to appear just above the stock line as it sits in the barrel.  Thats why I need the lathe.  I am trying to concentrate on custom and semi-custom rifles as well as accurizing rifles as a sideline hobby/job.  The rig I put together above probably took about, or at least close to 50 man hours and maybe 75 or more.  I did not count.  I have another Parker Hale action that is ready to go.  300 Win. Mag.  But, I am going to wait for hunting season to end, because if I don't, I will get the bug and find myself in the shop at every extra moment I have.  It becomes addicting.  But love it.  Its fun and relaxing.

Edited by Dolphin - November/29/2007 at 11:36
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 12:15
You take nice outdoor pics, too, D!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 13:11

DAMN, Dolphin... give us a little more forewarning next time, buddy! Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 13:11
BTW -- nice rifle!  Did you end up getting your bear?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 16:38
Sorry for the scary picture.  Not exactly pretty.  No, we got skunked.  I think one of the smallest bears in the county came out in front of me at about 100 yards up a path and then crossed in front of the stand my nephew was in.  He came out the next day in front of my nephew's stand and stood up and heard a gun shot from a distance and then ran and stood right next to the tree the stand was on for several minutes.  All 80 to 100 lbs. of him.  The guys running dogs next to our property bayed a bear on our land and one of their teenagers shot the bear before we could get through some of the toughest woods I have seen in awhile.  Said one of his Walkers was under it.  Anyway, after the first group got to them, they shot it with a 500 S&W in the head.  Weighed a little over 200 lbs. by estimate.  We are going back in December.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 16:42
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

You take nice outdoor pics, too, D!
Thanks.  I have any extensive camera collection to include many Nikon and Olympus SLRs and 2 Nikon DSLRs and 3 Olympus DSLRs.  But this was shot with my Casio 7 mega pixel subcompact that I take with me hunting.  It is simple to use and takes great pictures and was relatively inexpensive.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 17:40
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Nice job, we won't tell pyro6999 that it is a .270 Winchester.

to late i caught you yesterday with it, but since its you i wont give you a hard time
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2007 at 17:55
Oh come on pryo, I was just waiting for a good comment.  I always get a good laugh and learn something from it at the same time. Big%20smile
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 11:08
I hope you get one Dolphin, Better luck in the future.

Cyborg
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2007 at 15:05
Chris Farris' and Chris Farris' II guns. They are identical 6.5 284's done by Rifles Inc. Made light with short barrels for Texas hunting. Topped off with Talley rings and a Swarovski 3-9 all with Tiger Stripe Camo. The only difference is the DOB engraved on the receiver after our names.

Edited by Chris Farris II - December/03/2007 at 15:11
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 58>
  Share Topic