OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old Japanese spotting scope & tripod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edm812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Japanese spotting scope & tripod
    Posted: November/05/2007 at 20:24

I have a very unique spotting scope that I have been unable to find any information on.  I have owned this scope & tripod for over 30 years.  It appeared pretty old when I traded for it.  This is what I have:  The scope & tripod is a rough green military matt finish.  The scope is around 15" with the sun slide closed.  The end cap is about 3/4" thick  and has 4 female threads which holds 4 of the 5 eye pieces.  The eye pieces are 15, 20, 30, 40, and 60 power.  It has a 50-60mm lens.  There is an extension that screws onto the end cape that is the length of the eye pieces which is for protection.  The extension screws onto the sun shield.  The tripod is the same color & matt.  There is a proof mark on the scope but can not make any sense out of it.  The only information  I have been able to find out about this combination is a military collector  saw a "faint" impression of "Japan" on the end of one of the adjusting knobs on the tripod.  He would not tell me anything about it after I refused to sell.  His only comment was "you have a nice piece".   

I have been to numerous large gun shows and different forums but have yet to find anyone with any knowledge of this outfit.  Any information anyone might have will be greatly appreciated.  Have a  good day.  Ed   

cdavis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2007 at 21:31

Hey Ed,

I have a similar scope. Mine is exactly as you describe, except my eyepieces screw into a seperate piece made to hold all five of them. And it does not attach to the scope. Mine also came with a leather strap that wraps around the scope and tripod. And it came in a box, that says :Spotting Scope NO 4488". The box is obvously pretty old. There is also a tag on the scope under the eyepiece hole that says "Monoscope Supreme"

I would love to see pics of yours??

Chris

edm812 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edm812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 18:51
Hi Chris.  I will get some pics taken and published.  My eyepieces are marked monoscope also.  Do you have any information on our scopes.  It would be great to know the background.  Does your scope have a "proof mark? Have a good day.  Ed.
cdavis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2007 at 22:30
Mine has the same proof mark as yours. It just says "Japan" on the tripod. I had to have my 13 year old read it to me though. It was WAY too small for my eyes. I bet we have the same Tripod.

There is one piece of paperwork in my box for registering the OSN tripod. The guy I got it from told me it was made by OSN before they became OSN. But thats what he was told from someone. He also said it was a collectors piece and it was worth a pretty penny. I traded for mine as well.

I love the scope, the glass is crystal clear and it works great. Its defiantly a keeper in my book. I let my kids view the moon through it and they love it. Now I just need a nice telescope.. :-)

I will get some pics of mine up too.

Thanks!

Chris

Diana View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 09:33

There is a website called  Deutsche Optics. They are very helpful on older product information. They may able to help you further.

Deutsche Optik
1-800-225-9407
1-775-463-1582 - Fax
E-mail address: info@deutscheoptik.com

terry321 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2010 at 01:18
These are some old posts, but will post anyway, in case someone sees them. I have a similar spotting scope as described by Chris, but in a gray mat finish. It has the Monoscope Supreme label under the eyepiece also. In addition, it has a logo on the tripod socket which reads "OSC" which is in a clover like leaf emblem with "JAPAN" just below it. Maybe someone has come across some information about this scope. Thank you.
TS
mad dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 16:43
i recently picked up a scope at a yard sale, it looks like what you guys are describing.   there is only one tag on mine and it is below the eyepiece.   it reads (since herter's inc 1893).   i have the japan on the knob and mine is a brown color.   any info on this scope, for me to identify it will be helpful.
haze gray and now retired.... thats the way
edm812 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edm812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2010 at 18:50
Thanks for the responses from my post.  We are traveling at this moment.  I will take pictures of my tripod & scope and post for everyone to see.  Have a good day.  Ed.
yobuck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yobuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 17:15
it would be interesting to see pictures of this scope. im very familiar with jap military optics but never saw a scope as described from japan. is it possible it is not a military scope? they did make a large spotter which was actually 1/2 of a large binnocular. most would be marked TOKO, or NIKKO.
yobuck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic