OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

gun storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gun storage
    Posted: November/04/2007 at 22:18
can anyone recommend a good lubricant or grease for long term storage of long guns?I am in the south and with the humidity here rust is a concern for me.i have a safe full of desiccant gel but ,is that enough? thank you   Brett
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 00:19

A mechanical dehumidifier might also help.  We've kept a Sears dehumidifier in the gun storage area for decades, and it helps keep things dry.  You do have to empty it regularly, however.  This worked in Kentucky's Ohio valley, where humidity ranks right up there with the worst.

In terms of storage, I've used Hoppes #9 inside the barrel of unloaded guns, and WD 40 on the outside, with no rust problems ever.    A few will probably disagree with this, but it has worked for me for about 30 or 40 years.  I'm sure others will have some good suggestions.

If you are going to be away from the guns for a long time, the dessicant will probably get waterlogged and stop working.  Then you will need to think about long-term storage in military terms (i.e., gun grease and long-term treatments).  There are some members of this forum who can help you with that.

Edited by Longhunter
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 05:26
I keep a Golden Rod in my safe and have never had a problem. I still wipe all guns down with a lightly oiled cloth.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 07:27
If you're looking for a cheap trick, Take a spent cartridge fill it with rice and chamber it, then place a balloon over the end of the barrel, I do this and have had no problems with rust at all.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 10:40

If you're looking for a cheap trick,

I think he'll be here in a minute. 6" to 8" PVC with sealable ends and copper suflate dessicant will keep them safe in the ground so Hilary wont get them.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 10:51
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

If you're looking for a cheap trick,

I think he'll be here in a minute. 6" to 8" PVC with sealable ends and copper suflate dessicant will keep them safe in the ground so Hilary wont get them.

GREAT IDEA Thanks Dale !!!!!!  

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 12:53

i use RIG grease and a RIG rag (sheepskin) - do a search for it, i think you can only get it from one distributor now.

it's been around for a million years and it works.  rub down your guns with it and they will outlast you.

dehumidifiers are a must if there is any chance of putting up a wet gun w/ the others.

good luck.

J

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 16:23

I just wipe all steel surfaces of my guns with a cloth dampened with Break Free CLP before putting them back in the gun safe and have never had a problem with rust.

Whatever you do, don't leave guns stored inside a hard case for long periods of time, as it traps moisture.  If you take a rifle that's been outside in cold or wet weather and put it in the case, then bring it inside your warm house, condensation will collect inside the case that has a hard time escaping.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 17:37
I have always lived in the south where humidity is the worse enemy to guns.  I have never, ever had a problem with rust in any gun that I own, on the outside or inside.  I do not ever deviate from my method of storing my guns, which includes and extensive collection of modern firearms.  First, most people will tell you not to store them in soft case.  Wrong.  I clean and wipe down all of my firearms and place them in a soft case for long term storage, but like rifledude says, I do not put them in there cold.  I will let the come to temperature before putting them in their cases.  The only rust I have ever seen on one of my guns, is a replica Remington 1875 Uberti pistol that sits in its holster that I let sit in the gun closet for a couple months and I looked at the hammer and there was just a tad of rust.  It was easily removable and I wiped it down with a little Rem. oil and put a atheletic sock over the grip and I have not seen anymore rust.  If you really want to get serious, there is always cosmoline.
georgiabowhuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiabowhuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 23:12

I, too, make my home in Dixie....and I run a fairly large dehumidifier YEAR-ROUND in my gun storage area.  In the summer, this sometimes needs to be emptied twice a dayI!!!!!!

I also use a Tipton gun cloth to wipe them down faithfully:

Tipton Silicone Impregnated Gun Cleaning Cloth
Product #: 502260
Our Price: $4.99
Average Customer Rating: Above Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average RatingAbove Average Rating
Read the Review(s)

Edited by georgiabowhuntr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic