OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question for Cheaptrick and others

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Mahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Cheaptrick and others
    Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:13
I just purchased Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .300 Winchester Magnum. My question for you experts is:  Will a Nikon Pro Staff 3x9 scope hold up to the beating this rifle will give it?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:18
yes i believe it would, although to be real honest with you if you could afford a monarch you would be light years ahead of the prostaff, the buckmaster isnt a bad scope either, my bro in law has a prostaff on a hard kicking light weight browning in a .270 and its held zero for two years now i have 3 buckmasters and a monarch the buck masters have killed more deer than my other scopes combined and for not to much more money than the prostaff.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:22

Probably but you would be a lot happier with a Nikon Monarch or Zeiss Conquest, what type of shooting are you going to do? any target? distance? Budget? A little more information would help on recommendations.

And Wellcome to the OT

Duce 

Duce
Sandy Mahan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Mahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:28

Sorry about the lack of info.  I plan to whitetail hunt in Ky., but the accuracy and the shoulder burn will determine if other applications are warranted. Rifle is SS/ Synthetic, so it is a hunter.

Sandy Mahan

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:31
Yes! It should....However, if it were me, a Nikon Prostaff would not be my 1st choice for that rifle. If you choose the Nikon, step up and go with the Monarch, which would be a much better choice and worth the extra bucks!!!...........Congrats on your Ruger M77 purchase. I have the 300 WSM, 16.5" barrelled Ruger Frontier, which I bought last March....Good luck with yours!! It`s a beautiful rifle!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:34
so are you saying you have a physical issue??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:43
Sandy..........If you are referring to shoulder burn and recoil as one in the same, that is a very easy problem to solve. I have the Limbsaver slip on recoil pad. Reduces the felt recoil by 50%........I betcha that my little compact Frontier has a little more recoil than your 300 Win......
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Mahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:44
Pyro,  To be honest, I do not have physical issues. I am sure that the .300 will not kick harder than my M77 in .338 Win Mag.I have never shot a .300 Win Mag. With limited cabbage, I just want to get the best glass for my bucks.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:49
well when you said shoulder burn i went hmmm, i have a .280 rem in a m77 and i was going to use it tomorrow as our deer season opens tomorrow but now my wife has the flu and i get to watch the boys, no that 300 wont be as much push as you .338 but i would recommend at least a buckmaster, a monarch would cost more but i have a feeling you would only need to buy once.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Mahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:49

Big Squeeze,        &nbs p; If you look at the Hawkeye, you will see that it has a very functional recoil, at least it passes the look test.

I have had the darn thing for a month, but haven't pulled the Minnie Pearl tags off yet!

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:50
If your cabbage is limited, the try the 3x9 Elite 4200....At $260 on this site, that will be the best scope for the cabbage!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:54
The Ruger M77 recoil pads,,,,SUCK!!!......Too thin and too hard. I just slip on my Limbsaver and it solves the recoil issue!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Mahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:55

Pyro,

Another consideration too, should be eye relief.  Come to think of it, when sighting in my .338 with the boat paddle stock, it let a vari x II abuse my eyebrow.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:59
If you have proper body and or cheek positioning, you shouldn`t be scope whacked even with a 3" eye relief! My 4200 has a 3.3" of eye relief....Even with my hot loads, I have not been whacked! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 17:06
well the nikon monarch and the zeiss conquest have better eye relief than the 4200 elite but i dont see that as a big deal what it is squeezer 4 inches with the other two and like 3.6 inches with the elite? i dont think the 300 will bite you
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandy Mahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 17:08

Big Squeeze,

Hillbilly bench; sand bags on the truck hood.  I just got careless.  I have run a lot of lead through it since. In short, you are right. I ran out of talent.  LOL!

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 17:08
It is 3.3" at 9x.. More eye relief at the lower powers!
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 17:09

I belive Big Squeeze is refering to this one at SWFA

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

The sample list has a nice Burris sig

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?prod_type=1&hide_ sold=True at 300

How important is low light ability to you? how big of an objective lens do you want?

The Sightron if it is an S2 on the sample list would be a good choice at 3 to 12 power

Always fun to prowl the sample list.

Duce

Duce
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 17:09
i bought a limbsave for my 300wsm and it helped by there advetised 20% i can comfortably agree with there claim.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 17:43

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

If your cabbage is limited, the try the 3x9 Elite 4200....At $260 on this site, that will be the best scope for the cabbage!

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-r ifle-scope.aspx

Welcome to The OT, Sandy. 

Squeeze's suggestion of the 3-9x 4200 is a good one, as are the rest of the recommendations.

The 4200 offers the RainGuard feature which people here swears works very well.

Really a nice scope optically and a great price.

I'd also throw in the Sightron SII in 3-9x as a good option as well.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10603-1514-sightron-3-9x42-sii-rifles cope.aspx

I'm not a big advocate for the Pro Staff, but I admittedly haven't seen one in a year or better, so maybe they have improved since then. 

The Sample List that Duce mentioned is a great place to browse.

Good shooting!!  

Edited by cheaptrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic