OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem 700 VS - VARIII ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rem 700 VS - VARIII ?
    Posted: November/02/2007 at 15:45
I just looked at a Rem 700 VS in 308 from a friend that wants to sell it. He said it was the old version of the Sendero rifle. It has a McMillian stock and a 24 in bull barrel in matt black. The
stock is the black ish greyish spiderweb looking stock. It has a Luepold VARIII 4.5-14.

Any feedback on the gun or scope is greatly appreciated.
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 17:19
Solid rifle, but the stock is most likely a HS Precision not a McMillan.  The old Vari-X-III's are good scopes.  I have 2 of the ones that you mentioned.  They are not very good in low light though.  Our laws let us shoot up to 1 hour after sunset, so we need a better scope such as a 4200, Conquest, etc.  If your hunting day ends at sunset, or 15 min after, the Vari-X-III will serve you well.  Anything later than that, you won't be happy.........actually you will probably think that is is great.....that is until you look through a 4200.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 17:59

Originally posted by PappaBear PappaBear wrote:

I just looked at a Rem 700 VS in 308 from a friend that wants to sell it. He said it was the old version of the Sendero rifle. It has a McMillian stock and a 24 in bull barrel in matt black. The
stock is the black ish greyish spiderweb looking stock. It has a Luepold VARIII 4.5-14.

Any feedback on the gun or scope is greatly appreciated.

You sure that barrels not 26", Pappa??

No matter really, she should be a real shooter.

My old Sendero S/F .300 RUM was lethal accurate with handloads.

The Vari-X 3 is a good scope. What reticle is in it??

PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 22:34
Cheaptrick, I got the samme info from another forum that I inquired: yes you are right-HS Precision stock. Yes, it is a 24 inch barrel, but when they went to VSSF they made them 26
inches.

On the scope, yes I prefer Zeiss Conquest, have two of them. But this has the VARIII and I will not be hunting, just punching paper. So it will have to do.

Thanks and any other comments are welcome.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 22:34

My VS is an older one and has the 24" barrel. I don't know when they switched to the longer tube.

PappaBear, I don't know what the asking is but I would buy that stick in a minute.

I have to look, I don't think I've ever posted in the Tactical forum before...............oops. The VS is a fine tactical stick, too.

PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 22:42
They are asking $700.00 buxs. And the scope has a fine duplex reticle. Much like my Z-plex on the conquest.

Tahqua, Still think I should get it?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2007 at 05:49

Absolutely, that price is very good considering the glass you are getting.

I paid exactly the same for mine and the scope isn't as good as yours. I just recently swapped the Signature 6-24 that came with it for a Leupold Tactical.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2007 at 09:58

One big advantage of doing this with your friend is you can ask him if you can shoot it before deciding and he will likely say yes, from there you just have to decide if you like it or would like something different better.  Sometimes eaven if it is a good deal if it is not what you really want you might be better served by passing up the deal and spending more on the setup you would prefer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2007 at 10:25
I'm going for it. I'll give a range report. Going quail hunting tomorrow, so it will be a couple weeks before I can shoot it. But I'll let you guys know.
Thanks for the feedback.

PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 13:35

Took it in and had my friend at AZ Custom Rifles look at it and tore it apart and looked down the barrel with a scope....  He said it was a very good buy for $700.00. 

Here is the low down from the gunsmith:

HS Precision with aluminum pillar bedding and aluminum block...

Timney trigger, I knew that trigger was too good. 

He guessed less than 50 shots fired

Slightly recessed crown.  he did not know if it came like that or it was done afterward

VARIII 4.5-14 scope, perfect condition glass, mounts etc.

No red flags.

Range report to follow- the true test, the only test that matters.  But so far so good. 

Thanks again guys.

Fastlane View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fastlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 18:00
 I have that same rifle and scope (with a/o) and a Harris bi pod on it. I bought it from my brothers best freind who needed some cash for $500. I told him i would give him 1 year to buy it back if he wanted to ( I hope he doesn't). I have found that 168's and 175's work best for me. Maybe it just me but my best groups start coming in when i have 30 -40 rounds though the tube with no cleaning. I have just started shooting long range and will putting on a Lepy mark 4 or Niteforce and this scope will go on one of my ar's. You can't go wrong at the price you said. Enjoy.  
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2007 at 21:02

Took it to the range and shot a box of shells through it.  It shot very well.  Certainly sub-moa and several touching groups of 3.  It was a lot of fun to shoot and i am very happy with it.  When I did my job, it did it's job.  Thanks again for the feedback.

I want to put a Zeis conquest 6.5-20X50 with Kenton BDC's on the scope.  I have the same scope on my Tikka and it is awesome.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic