OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

how much power?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much power?
    Posted: November/02/2007 at 13:08
I just got back from a MT hunt.  I filled 5 tags.   The shots ranged from around 100 yards minimum, to an un-lasered range of probably 325 or there about.  I'm using a 3-9  on a 270 WSM Tikka.   The rifle will shoot around .4" with Fed 140 gr Accubond.   The long shot was a pronghorn, and for 9X and my eyes, that's right on the edge of what felt right to me.   The bullet struck within within a couple of inches of where I wanted it, but the animal looked very small at that range.  How many shoot at that range with 9X or less and how many would prefer a bit more magnification?   That open country hunting particularly on the pronghorns might work better for me with say a 4.5 to 14.   Any thoughts?
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 13:26
Nothing wrong with a 3x9 as I have one myself mounted on a 300 WSM....In most situations though, a 3x9 is all one would need unless long range varmits are on the agenda! One has to play the percentages and have a scope that will fill the bill for most of the time. There may be situations where a max. 14X scope may be better, but if possible, I would try to get closer.........Recently, I took a 402 lb. pig from 342 yards shooting across a divide from where I could not get any closer. Had I tried, I might have blown my cover. My scope was turned up to 9X max. for that shot. Rifle sighted in at a 300 yard zero, with very little holdover or guess work on that shot!!.................If your average distances increase for your shots, then switching would be a matter of your own personal preference. I personally would not rush out to get a 4x14. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 13:57
Glad you had a good MT hunt.  Those pronghorns can be tough to get up on sometimes.  A 3-9 should be about all you really need unless you plan on shoot way out past 4-500 yards on pronghorns.  If it would make it easier on you eyes, you might consider bumping to a 3-12x scope.  I have a 4-16 and although I love the top end for my long range shooting, I very rarely would use anything above 9-10x for big game hunting.  I don't think you need to get a different scope unless you plan on consistently taking longer shots, or if you thing you need it for you eyes.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 14:36
i have a hard time using anything other than a 3x9 especially now that i live in a very wooded area, for plains type hunting and varmint (pdogs) i wouldnt mind having a 4.5x14 but then again with game animals on high power you have to have a good solid rest otherwise it gets ugly.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
craSSh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craSSh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 18:19
I had a 3-9 on my 270wsm, shot a buck @ 274yds.  And I agree that anything 200yds and out, look small in the scope.  The gun now wears 4.5-14.  I like the higher magnification a whole lot more.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 20:34

I took this deer several moons ago at your 325 yards with a 4x Burris.

That rifle now has a 3-9x42 Kahles and I like it better. If your 3-9 is a good glass I think your fine.

Doug

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 20:43

When you are hunting big game animals, and attempting to shoot them at distances approaching a quarter of a mile, they SHOULD look awfully small. It helps you to concentrate hard on getting your shot properly placed, by helping you to keep in pespective the fact that you are taking a LONG shot at a living thing that deserves a clean kill. I think that high magnification scopes often deceive novice hunters into taking shots they shouldn't take.

The fact that you filled 5 tags tells me that you probably know what you are doing, though. Don't go too high at the low end if you do decide to go a little higher at the top end...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic