OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

federal fusion bullets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: federal fusion bullets
    Posted: November/01/2007 at 22:03
have any of yall had any expierce with these bullets.... i dont reload, i dont know anything about it.  so i'm trying to find a good factory load for a 300wsm that doesnt cost $50 a box.  i'm gonna be hunting whitetail.  i was planning on shooting either the federal fusions, federal power points, or core-lokts, 165grain

Edited by HookdUp
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 06:34
My best advice is get some friends together and each of you bring some different brand and load type ammo, go to the range and each of you spend some time shooting different ammo in your guns, same calibre naturally, but find which ones are the most consistent in your gun and use that ammo. sometimes you get lucky and it'll be the cheaper sometimes not.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 08:04
i have a 300wsm and i always had good luck with the winchester cheapos. the federals where okay too i tried fushions in my .280 they seem to be okay in it. i would really recommend you to start reloading though the only problem with the winchesters is that to get the 165 gr bullet you want your going to pay a lot for, i used the winchester super x 180 grain for whitetail and it worked great very little meat loss and they were pretty cheap.

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 09:37
I have shot some of the Federal Fusion ammo in .308. I found the accuracy to be quite good (around 1 MOA) from a heavy barreled bolt gun. This was honestly a bit of a surprise as the bullets seemed to show a bit of flash (lead flakes) around the points. I would be curious to know what your impression is if you get some. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 09:45
you know now that you mention the lead flakes i saw that with mine as well, but like you said they were plenty accurate for killing deer, i bought them for the brass cause they were cheap so i didnt use them for anything but paper.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 10:23

my 7mm08 doesn't LOVE them, but the groups are ok.

hornady SST's are more accurate through that tikka.

overall, a pretty good bullet. paper OR meat.

J

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:03

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think his question is more about terminal performance, than accuracy.  I'm quessing this because it doesn't take a submoa gun to kill a deer. 

take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:13
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think his question is more about terminal performance, than accuracy.  I'm quessing this because it doesn't take a submoa gun to kill a deer. 

read the original post again, he wanted to know what our experiences with the federal fusion were and we are telling him what we encountered
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 12:13
My oldest son shoots a 300WSM  Vanguard and uses  165 gr  Fusion factory loads. He has  taken 2 deer with it, and both dropped on the spot. One was a complete passthru broadside shot  at 55 yds and the other was a quartering away shot at about 130yds ( which we found just under the skin and mushroomed perfectly) . So far- so good. If it shoots well in your rifle- no worries.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 12:55

Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

My oldest son shoots a 300WSM  Vanguard and uses  165 gr  Fusion factory loads. He has  taken 2 deer with it, and both dropped on the spot. One was a complete passthru broadside shot  at 55 yds and the other was a quartering away shot at about 130yds ( which we found just under the skin and mushroomed perfectly) . So far- so good. If it shoots well in your rifle- no worries.

Excellent post!  Covers everything a person who wants to hunt Deer with this cartiridge would want to know!

take em!
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 13:30

what's w/ the attitude Tip? it's unlike you

you contributed nothing to this post but sass.

he's gotten replies from both sides of the fence - paper AND meat.

J

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 14:36

i was trying not to have any attitude........ which is why I started with I'm not trying to be a jerk......... He clearly stated he was going to use for deer hunting and the first few posts pretty much delt with accuracy........ which is fine, but thought i would try to focus new comments toward terminal performance.

take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 14:40
i hope you werent talking about me there, cause i tried to not only talk about terminal performance accuracy but also other options, and you also never made mention that you shoot a 300wsm? do you have one?

Edited by pyro6999
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
HookdUp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 18:46
thanks for all the post guys, they were alot of help.  unfortunately none of my friends shoot the 300wsm. all em shoot 270's and 7 mags.  i gonna buy a box of fusions see how they do. if they dont do too good, i will try the core lokts or the winchesters.   i looking for a bullet with a good mushroom thats pretty accurate.  i want my groups to be no more than 1" at 100yds.  3" groups are unacceptable, that would drive me nuts.  i will post let yall know how the fusions do.  thanks agains for all the replies guys
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 20:19
you might seriously think about handloading my friend
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
HookdUp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HookdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2007 at 12:11
i do plan on learning how to handload, i'm sure when ever i start loading i will be askin yall alot of questions.... thanks again fellas
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 10:11

Originally posted by broadfoot broadfoot wrote:

Bought 2 boxes of Federal 338 Federal 200 gr Fusion cartridges.
Two would not chamber in new Kimber 84M. Tore those down, FL resized, then okay. Best they could do was 3" at 100 yards. 185 TSXs with max loads of three different stick powders (Varget, 3031 & 4064) all shot 1-1.5" groups. Summary: not impressed.

Hey, broadfoot, is that your new Kimber 84M / Trijicon 3-9 Accupoint scope / S&K ring combo you're referring to?  Very nice rig!

I tried some of the Fusion ammo as well, but I too got mediocre accuracy from it.  It shot o.k. in my .308 -- about 1.5 MOA; not very good at all in my buddy's son's Howa .243 -- about 4 MOA.  All rifles are different, so as with anything else, individual range reports on this ammo don't mean a great deal, but since I almost always shoot handloads, I wouldn't normally buy the Fusion stuff anyway.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 14:15
well i just got back from deer camp and i can tell you that fushions do a number on deer saw deer taken with a .270 with 130 gr fushions and 3 deer taken with 180gr fushions from a 300wsm tikka t3 that really boogered the deer up.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 15:59

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

well i just got back from deer camp and i can tell you that fushions do a number on deer saw deer taken with a .270 with 130 gr fushions ...

You mean...a .277 dia bullet actually KILLED the deer instead of just bounce off the hide at impact?!!!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 16:31

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

well i just got back from deer camp and i can tell you that fushions do a number on deer saw deer taken with a .270 with 130 gr fushions and 3 deer taken with 180gr fushions from a 300wsm tikka t3 that really boogered the deer up.

Thanks for the update!  I was hoping we'd get this kind of feedback!  I've been using Ballistic Tips the last few years and not sure I liked them that much better than Core-Lokt and they were more expensive!

take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic