OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sako 75 vs. 85

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 19:46

I owned a 75 Hunter and now own an 85 Hunter - the Hunters are walnut stocked.  The 75's stock was regarded in some circles as being a pig, fat and heavy.  I think they went overboard on the redesigned 85 stock, making it too slim, especially in the buttstock.  It's roughly a 1/2 pound lighter than the 75.

I've said this elsewhere but it's recoil pad contact area, in conjunction with the slimmer profile of the buttstock, is over-powered by magnum rounds.  Even my 30-06 kicks pretty good, enough so that I had a Kick-Ezz (I also tried a Limbsaver and Pachmayr Decelerator) pad installed.  It's better now but still doesn't compare to a 700 CDL for example. 

The action is smooth feeding, the trigger is fantastic, the safety/bolt release is great, the short bolt lift is functional, the wood/finish is nice and the accuracy/precision is good.  The dovetail receiver is regrettable but the stock shape/design is the worst aspect of the rifle and can't be fixed, only modified.  Handle one, preferably shoot one, before you buy.  And stay with standard calibers.  I'd give it a B-.

storm2844 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm2844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 02:28

i had the 85 i thought it was a really nice rifle but it had one problem. it wouldnt eject the brass. the brass would jump up hit the scope then fall back into the magazine well. i contacted stoger (importers) and they told me this is a problem for the new 85's. expecially for the short mags. becouse the ejector is at 6 o clock and the extractor is at 10 o clock. not every rifle will do this though as every rifle is unique. i suggest to anyone who buys an 85 to have a scope mounted at the store and try ejecting an empty case to see if it ejects properly. but all in all the 85 is a very nice rifle. well worth the money if it ejects properly. they have since took the sako back and refunded me of all my money. on which a purchased a weatherby ultra lightweight in 7mm weatherby mag, (very very happy with the weatherby)

i used to think sako was the #$!& but after this it left a little bitter taste in my mouth. although i still think the make a high quality rifle  if i had to go with a sako again i would go with the 75 if you can still get one.

jay
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 10:15

No problem here with extraction/ejection although I have a standard caliber.  I have about 100 rounds through it.  But it does seem that you have to give the bolt handle a pretty good hit up after firing to cock/open the bolt.  Anybody else notice this?

Another unusual thing I noticed is that I get copper build-up on every other land, not all six lands.  Accuracy doesn't drop off until about 20-30 rounds fired but that seems typical in my experience.  At that time I use a copper solvent like Barnes CR and all seems well. 

I called BerettaUSA ( the USA importer) and they couldn't explain the copper build/pattern of every other land.  They ask me to send it in after the hunting season is over.  I'm no gunsmith but it seems logical that the bullet may only be touching every other land.  Comments?

Edit: I'm not getting the 5 shot, 1" grouping at 100 yards advertised for Sako's but then again I'm not a great shot.  Mine is more like a 2" grouping.  Right now the rifle has a 10X max power scope.

timber

Edited by timber
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 10:35
Hi guys!
I have a same problem- can't decide between 75 and 85 Sako Hunter in .30-06,but after reading this I'm leaning towards 75 - I want to reload and brass hitting the scope would be bent.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 12:05
Bender

All in all I like the 75 better.  The stock is much better and I'm not even a big fan of monte carlo's.  That's how much I think Sako missed with the 85's stock - way too slim, IMHO.  (Looks like Browning's doing this too with the new X-Bolt - but that's another topic).  There's really nothing you can do with it except installing a better recoil pad.  I did struggle with the 75's LOP which is 14 1/4" (13 1/2" fits me).  Instead of trying to adapt to this measurement by mounting the scope further back I should have just shortened the stock by 3/4".

I didn't have a problem with the 75 (260 rem) or 85 (30/06) with extraction/ejection.  I will say the brass doesn't eject with much force on my 85.  I've noticed this more at the range when I'm more relaxed and maybe not using as much force working the bolt.  While hunting I always slam the bolt and haven't noticed a problem.  I don't remember anything unusual about extraction/ejection with the 75.

There was one small problem with the 75's bolt binding.  If you didn't pull the bolt straight back it would hang up slightly.  Eventually muscle memory helps with this.  This is mentioned in the 2006/07 Beretta Annual on page 41.  Basically Sako "lengthened the rear bolt guide surface of the Sako 85".  They acknowledge this is more associated with the short actions so maybe a 30/06 75 wouldn't be affected as much, if at all.

Good luck with your choice.  I'd choose based on which stock fits you better, even if you have to tweak it a little.  All the other changes made with the 85 (bolt guide, magazine, CRF, bedding) wouldn't sway me either way as much as the stock design.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 17:32
Originally posted by Bender Bender wrote:

Hi guys!
I have a same problem- can't decide between 75 and 85 Sako Hunter in .30-06,but after reading this I'm leaning towards 75 - I want to reload and brass hitting the scope would be bent.

The extractor / ejector relationship is the exact same geometry on the 75 vs the 85 -- looking at the front of the bolt face, the extractor is at 10:00; the ejector is at 6:00, so the ejection angle would be the same in both.  The reason why the specific Sako 85 mentioned above was having ejection issues is because it was chambered in a WSM cartridge.  The short fat cases combined with larger extractor engagement with the rim and low ejector position creates a very high ejection angle and tendency to hit the scope.  I've heard of no reported problems with ejecting standard cartridges.  The only difference in the bolt face between the 75 and 85 is the 85 has the lower portion of the bolt face enclosure milled away so the case head will slide underneath the extractor as it rises from the magazine -- the CRF feature.  To each his own, but if we're talking wood stocks, I much prefer the 85 stock design, with its thinner grip section, more open grip, straight comb, shadowline cheekpiece, and slimmer profile vs. the 75 stock.  I hate the 85's synthetic stock, though -- rather strange looking to me.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2007 at 22:46
I prefer a straight stock design too.  But one with some size in the buttstock.  Compare a Sako 85 buttstock to the re-introduced (2008) Supergrade.  The fuller buttstock for me goes into the same position in a hurry much faster than a slim one like the Sako 85.  Which one would handle a magnum round better?  I'll stay with standard rounds with my 85's.  I do agree the 85's synthetic stock is wierd.

Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2007 at 08:51
I'll go to the store and check out which stock suits me more!
I'm planning on using Leupold QR mounts on the gun because I already have the rings on on the scope(VXIII 3,5-10x50 with illumination),and I want to be able to take them off quickly for the brush hunting. Anybody used these mounts on a sako? I see that Leu is producing ringmounts that go directly on the reciever,but it seems to me that they don't have a stud that stops them from moving forward?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 07:03
Originally posted by Bender Bender wrote:

I see that Leu is producing ringmounts that go directly on the reciever,but it seems to me that they don't have a stud that stops them from moving forward?

The taper built into the receiver groove (wider toward the front) prevents forward movement.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2007 at 21:59
I've got the QR base/ring set-up on mine.  The rear base will overhang the loading port by about 1/8".   You can use Medium height QR rings with a 50mm objective if your scope is long enough or the eyepiece isn't too big in diameter - the focus ring on my Leupold sits over the rear base and just clears it by less than a millimeter.  The front objective bell sits about a millimeter above the barrel.  The other scopes I tried required High QR's. 

Talley bases fit a lot better (don't overhang) but the rings position the scope much higher, size for size, comared to the Leupold QR's.  Plus the rings are challenging (to install) to say the least.  But they look better/stronger.  I'd have probably used them if they weren't so high.
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 03:04
Thanks timber!
That helped a lot!
I'll probably go the QR route-3mm overhang doesn't seem too bad and they are more avalible to me since my friend is a Leupold dealer.
Cheers

timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2007 at 22:22
Hey Bender.  I just realized you are wanting to use the exact same scope I have on my Sako 85 30/06, a leupold 3.5-10x50 with illuminated reticle.  The only way mine would fit with Medium QR's and have the objective clear the barrel was to position it almost all the way forward. It'll look like it won't work but the focus ring will just barely clear the rear base.  If you want a 50mm lowrider set-up for this rifle this is it!

If you don't get a full sight picture and have to pull the scope rearward you'll need to go with High QR's to get the objective high enough to clear the barrel.  If this scope is your first Leupold Illuminated, double check to make sure you turn it 'off' when you're through using it.  I've left mine on several times and over night the battery will become depleted.
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2007 at 05:52
I guess we have the same taste for firearms thanBig%20Smile!
I already have the High QR rings,but I can easily check out the mediums and exchange if needed!
I haven't had the time to compare my new Leupy with other higher end scopes in the dark-how are you satisfied with yours? I noticed that illumination on the scope is great-it is even better in some segments than Swaro's!

Cheers!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 01:58
I like mine.  I'm sure it's not on the Swaro Z6 level but it takes me past legal shooting hours where I hunt (30 minutes past Sunset or 30 minutes before Sunrise).  You mentioned hunting in the dark so I assume you're talking about Night Hunting.  Unfortunately I can't speak to that.  I'm aware Night Hunting (mostly hogs) is common in Europe and illuminated scopes are used for this. 

Mine originally came with a German #4 Illuminated Dot but I had Leupold change it to the Illuminated Duplex and I like it much better.  As to the illumination settings what I do is turn it on around Sunset and then check it every 5 minutes or so for correct brightness.  The last 10 minutes or so it usually (depending on the weather - clouds for instance vs. a clear sky) ends up turned down to around 3 or 4.  In the mornings I start at 3 or 4 and work my way up in brightness.  This scope does not have a day-illumination setting like the Z6 and others - I've tried it and can't see it.

The main reason I went with this scope was for hog hunting.  Probably 3/4's of the hogs we see are black in color and I've had trouble seeing the reticles against their hides, particularly in low light.  This has made a huge difference and has upped my success ratio.  I prefer not to use it for other game just for the challenge. 

As to the Medium vs. High QR's there is something else you may want to consider.  I have small to medium sized hands and can fairly easily load through the ejection/loading port (instead of dropping the magazine). If you have larger hands you may prefer the high rings for the extra room.  The difference in height is only .13" but I'm anal about low mounted scopes and just like the look.  PM me if you have any technical questions so as not to bore other readers.  Good luck hunting!  
Bender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2007 at 04:05
PM sent!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2007 at 02:50
Here's the pictures Bender of my Sako 85 Hunter in 30/06.  The second picture is the illuminated duplex Leupold I use for those Black Hogs.

Here's one showing the Sako 85's buttstock (right - with a 'Kick-Ezz' recoil pad) compared to a 700 CDL's buttstock (left).  It's thinner and smaller than the 700 and is why, IMHO, I'd stay away from magnums with this stock.  JMO. 

Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 00:11
I own a Sako Model 85 rifle in .338 Federal.  I picked the Model 85 because I did not like the synthetic stock on the Model 75 and preferred wood instead (Hunter Model).  I wanted the cheekpiece, low comb stock on the Model 85.  The Sako is also about 1/2 pound lighter and shorter than my other .30-06 length action rifles for woods hunting.  Also, I bought mine for woods hunting here in Washington at a time when the .338 Federal was being discontinued by Sako and I got a heck of a deal on price.
I have owned my Sako for about 4 years now and shoot perhaps 120 rounds or so a year through it.  It is the fourth Sako rifle that I have owned in the past 50 years, including a Mato Beretta .30-06 which is a Sako action as well.  All of these rifles, when set up to correct specs for action screw torque are very accurate.  My .338 Federal will easily shoot MOA groups with the Kahles 3-9x42 scope that I have mounted on it.  The scope has never shifted from recoil even with 225 grain Nosler loads and Leupold Ringmounts.  The rifle has never hiccuped since I bought it and shoots quite well with no issues through 500 rounds.

My Model 85 magazine feed is very smooth with the .338 Federal cartridge.  The only problems that I have heard about with feed in the new Sako's were for the short fat's.  The trigger on my rifle is set up at 3 pounds, no creep and recoil is the same as my .30-06 Model 70 despite being a little lighter.

CDR3
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 13:50
Hi, Oldtrader!  Haven't seen you around much lately.  Welcome back!

I have the exact same rifle, also in .338 Fed (I didn't own it yet back in '07 when I last posted in this thread).  Mine handles and shoots great!  I bought mine for the same reasons as you -- liked the stock design, previous good experiences with the M75, and got a good deal on it due to the chambering.  Also, the fact mine has drop dead gorgeous wood, with lots of fiddleback didn't hurt its chances of going home with me either.

I also have 2 Beretta Matos as you mentioned, and have been very happy with them.  One point of correction, though... the Mato used a Dakota M 97 action, not a Sako action.  Sako had nothing to do with the Mato rifles, as it was discontinued just as Beretta assumed ownership of Sako, due to the fact it competed at the same general price point as the Sako 75 & 85.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic