OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sako 75 vs. 85

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hankd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sako 75 vs. 85
    Posted: November/01/2007 at 15:50

I'm brand new to this forum and need some advice.  I've been shopping around for a new .270 and last weekend I came across a Sako 75 Grey Wolf, and fell in love with it.  It is much more expenses than the other rifles I've been looking at and it was the first time I shouldered a Sako.  Now, I must have one.

My dilema, I see that currently the Grey Wolf is available in both the model 75 and 85.  I've been searching the net all week trying to find the differences.  Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of these two versions of Sako's Grey Wolf.  Which one should I get?  Mostly it will be used for whitetails in the Southeast.

Thanks for any and all input!

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 19:09
Originally posted by hankd hankd wrote:

I'm brand new to this forum and need some advice.  I've been shopping around for a new .270 and last weekend I came across a Sako 75 Grey Wolf, and fell in love with it.  It is much more expenses than the other rifles I've been looking at and it was the first time I shouldered a Sako.  Now, I must have one.

My dilema, I see that currently the Grey Wolf is available in both the model 75 and 85.  I've been searching the net all week trying to find the differences.  Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of these two versions of Sako's Grey Wolf.  Which one should I get?  Mostly it will be used for whitetails in the Southeast.

Thanks for any and all input!

Welcome to the forums. I know the guns you are talking about & they are indeed both beautiful & good to shoot.

The biggest difference in the 2 models is chamber feeding. As I understand it, you can't load the Sako 75 from the ejection port like you can with several other bolt action rifles. You must load the 75 buy first loading the clip from the bottom of the rifle. The 85 you can load the gun through the ejection port.

This is the best way to learn about the 2 models & whats different. If you get one let us know. Good luck on your purchase.

http://www.sako.fi/

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 20:24
dont buy a .270, if you were going to buy a nef single shot waste that on a .270 if your looking at a fine rifle like the sako buy a good caliber say 7mm mag
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
hankd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hankd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 20:55

So what is it exactly about the .270 that you don't care for?

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 20:56
you name it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 21:04
i will tell you this much sako knows how to build a damn nice rifle! you wont lose there.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 08:32
You know its kind of interesting, gun-tests.com just compared the Kimber Montana, Ruger Frontier and the Sako 85 stainless steel in the .338 Federal.  The Sako was rated a D and came in last place, the most expensive rifle of the three.  With a wooden stock, the rifle is about 100 dollars more.  They loved the Kimber.  I have a little experience with a 75, none with the 85 or Kimber, but both are suppose to have great reputations, but gun-tests.com is fair and I would take the time to read the article.  Here is a link through my account, I hope it works.  http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/19_11/features/5458-1.html
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 08:44
i cant believe a ruger would be a sako in anything
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 10:37
Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

The biggest difference in the 2 models is chamber feeding. As I understand it, you can't load the Sako 75 from the ejection port like you can with several other bolt action rifles. You must load the 75 buy first loading the clip from the bottom of the rifle. The 85 you can load the gun through the ejection port.

I have 2 Sako 75's and you can indeed load them from the ejection port, no problem.  It will load from the ejection port the same as any non detachable magazine bolt action.  You can just as easily load the magazine from the ejection port as with the magazine removed.  The detachable magazine of the 75 is no different from the 85, except that the 85 has an improved magazine latch.

The differences between the 75 and the 85 are:

-- 85 has controlled round feed; 75 is push feed.  They simply milled away one side of the bolt face rim on the 85 so that the case slides underneath the extractor as it pops out of the magazine rather than the extractor snapping over the case rim as the bolt is cammed closed.

-- 85 has a new stock shape and checkering pattern.  The 85 has a straight comb with shadowline cheekpiece and oil type finish to appeal to the current trend back to a more "classic" stock style.

-- 85 has a new bolt shroud shape.  No functional difference; only aesthetics.

-- 85 has the new magazine latch mentioned to keep the magazine from being accidentally dumped.  Never had a problem with accidental magazine release on the 75, though.

-- 85 supposedly has improved bolt guiding surfaces to improve bolt operation smoothness.  75 bolt was extremely smooth as-is, so if the 85 is smoother, it must be phenomenal.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
hankd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hankd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 10:46

Thanks for all the information Ted.

There doesn't seem to be a clear winner, except maybe price.  I've found the caliber I'm looking for in these two rifles and the 85 is just under $100 more than the 75, both NIB.  I did hear that the 75 comes with scope rings and the 85 does not.  So that adds to the practical price difference a little. 

Any difference in weight? 

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 10:59
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

I have 2 Sako 75's and you can indeed load them from the ejection port, no problem.  It will load from the ejection port the same as any non detachable magazine bolt action.  You can just as easily load the magazine from the ejection port as with the magazine removed.  The detachable magazine of the 75 is no different from the 85, except that the 85 has an improved magazine latch.

The differences between the 75 and the 85 are:

-- 85 has controlled round feed; 75 is push feed.  They simply milled away one side of the bolt face rim on the 85 so that the case slides underneath the extractor as it pops out of the magazine rather than the extractor snapping over the case rim as the bolt is cammed closed.

-- 85 has a new stock shape and checkering pattern.  The 85 has a straight comb with shadowline cheekpiece and oil type finish to appeal to the current trend back to a more "classic" stock style.

-- 85 has a new bolt shroud shape.  No functional difference; only aesthetics.

-- 85 has the new magazine latch mentioned to keep the magazine from being accidentally dumped.  Never had a problem with accidental magazine release on the 75, though.

-- 85 supposedly has improved bolt guiding surfaces to improve bolt operation smoothness.  75 bolt was extremely smooth as-is, so if the 85 is smoother, it must be phenomenal.

According to that gun-tests article, while Sako claims to have a controlled feed action, it was very sloppy and did not control the cartridge well at all if you moved the bolt in a slow manner, like a Mauser.  You really should read the article prior to plunking down that much money, the Kimber clearly out classed the Sako 85.  Gun-tests.com does a fine job on giving you the skinny on what is wrong and what is right about any firearm they test and they do not accept any advertisements.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:15
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

According to that gun-tests article, while Sako claims to have a controlled feed action, it was very sloppy and did not control the cartridge well at all if you moved the bolt in a slow manner, like a Mauser.  You really should read the article prior to plunking down that much money, the Kimber clearly out classed the Sako 85.  Gun-tests.com does a fine job on giving you the skinny on what is wrong and what is right about any firearm they test and they do not accept any advertisements.

Just answering the O.P.'s question about the differences between the 2 models, Dolph.  Wasn't endorsing the 85, only speaking to it's differences vs. the 75.

Don't own an 85, so can't comment on the Gun Test review, but I certainly like the 75.  I take any review, even ones that don't accept advertisements like GT with a heavy grain of salt.  Not that their comments don't have merit, but first of all, their test rifle may have been a lemon, and secondly, even though they aren't bought by advertisements, they are still idividuals with an opinion, and opinions vary widely depending on who you talk to.  I may very well agree with everything they said about the 85, but until I handle one, I'll reserve my opinions.  I used to subscribe to GT, and while I agreed with many of their conclusions, they had one test in particular on various hunting bullets a few years ago that I completely disagreed with because I thought their test protocol was bogus.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:19
i wouldnt have any trouble taking a kimber before a sako, but come on a ruger beating a sako?? the sako 75 is a class act
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:30
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Just answering the O.P.'s question about the differences between the 2 models, Dolph.  Wasn't endorsing the 85, only speaking to it's differences vs. the 75.

Don't own an 85, so can't comment on the Gun Test review, but I certainly like the 75.  I take any review, even ones that don't accept advertisements like GT with a heavy grain of salt.  Not that their comments don't have merit, but first of all, their test rifle may have been a lemon, and secondly, even though they aren't bought by advertisements, they are still idividuals with an opinion, and opinions vary widely depending on who you talk to.  I may very well agree with everything they said about the 85, but until I handle one, I'll reserve my opinions.  I used to subscribe to GT, and while I agreed with many of their conclusions, they had one test in particular on various hunting bullets a few years ago that I completely disagreed with because I thought their test protocol was bogus.

Very true.

Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:38
One other difference between the 2 is the 85 has an integral recoil lug machined into the action. The 75's recoil lug is bolted to the action.
hankd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hankd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 12:13
I appreciate the continued feedback.  I can't get the link for Gun-tests...it shows the teaser part of the article and then asks you to sign in for the rest.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 13:31

Originally posted by hankd hankd wrote:

I appreciate the continued feedback.  I can't get the link for Gun-tests...it shows the teaser part of the article and then asks you to sign in for the rest.

I got the same thing.

Keep in mind one other thing about reviews of any kind.  Everything the reviewer says may be 100% true and valid, but they may also place more or less weight on certain aspects of a products performance than you or I would, and we may place more importance on other aspects of the same product than they do.  So, in the end, it all comes back to what you personally value.

Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2007 at 17:02
I went back and tried the link and it does not work anymore for me.  My user name is doverton@wilcard.com and my password is bertram33.  That will get you into my account.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 17:27

Hey, Dolphin,

Using your user name and password I was able to read the article this time.  Thanks for passing that along.  I thought they made some reasonable, valid points about the 3 rifles overall.  I agree with them about the synthetic stock styling on the Sako.  I don't care for its looks either.  I didn't think the previous 75 Finnlight's stock was all that bad, but I don't care for this one at all, and I especially don't like the recoil pad design and footprint. But then, if I were buying this rifle, I wouldn't get the synthetic stock anyway.  I think the new 85 wood stock design is very good looking. 

I also agree with them on the controlled round feed issue.  I haven't worked the bolt on the new Sako, but I do have a Ruger M77 MK II with CRF and it does capture the case rim a little later in the chambering stroke than other CRF actions like Kimber, Win 70 Classics, Mausers, etc.  Then again, even if the CRF doesn't work all that well, it just means that it's no different than a push feed action, which describes the majority of bolt actions.  The previous Sako 75 was a push feed as well.  But, bottom line, if you advertise it as a controlled feed action, then by golly, it should be true controlled feed.

I do disagree with their heavy emphasis on weight, though.  There are very few factory rifles outside of ULA that are as light as the Kimber Montana, so the Sako weight is more in line with most competing rifles.  It isn't exactly heavy, just heavy in comparison to the Kimber, which could be said of almost any other rifle compared to it.  While the lightweight Kimber would definitely be nicer to carry on a high altitude, physical hunt, for most other hunts, I don't think the weight difference is that big a deal.  If they thought the Sako was too heavy, I wonder what they'd think of the Mark V. 

I don't know that I would have given the Sako a "D" score.  Perhaps they gave the "D" based on the fact it was the most expensive of the 3.  Of the major criticisms, I think the CRF issue is the only major problem.  I agree there aren't many scope mount choices for Sako, but I like Talley's Sako mounts.  Weight may or may not be an issue depending on what the rifle is chambered for and what the intended use is.  The weird stock styling issue goes away if you get the wood stocked version.  I think they placed too much focus on the negatives and the Sako's strengths, namely smooth feeding, great trigger, and typically good accuracy evidently didn't weigh very heavily on their final conclusion.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 18:49
I agree with your points.  I would have never purchased the futuristic SS Sako stock and would have defintely purchased the wooden stock.  Reading gun-tests.com reminds me of reading Consumer Reports, both offer very good unbiased information, but they tend to put more emphasis in certain areas that alot or readers such as myself do not care about.  But, overall they provide information that can be used to make an informed decision before plunking down you hard earned money.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic