OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New 338 and 300 RCM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 338 and 300 RCM
    Posted: November/01/2007 at 15:22
Just saw an article in Guns & Ammo about Hornady offering a new 338 and 300 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnums, I believe).  Didn't get to read it.  Anybody know anything about these rounds?  And a possible time frame before they are out.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 21:03
Are these Ruger`s versions of the WSM`s or RSAUM`s???
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 22:44
Went out and found that article.  It is the 375 Ruger case trimmed and necked down to 338 or 300.  What hornady is calling the 300 and 338 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnum).  Still a prototype at this point, but sounds like they are getting really good numbers out of it.  The tester (using the 338 RCM) got 2789 fps from a 20 inch barrel for a 225 gr bullet.   That is all I can find out, so if anyone knows more,  I would like to hear it.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 08:12
i will be intrested to see what comes about of this if its a success they would be smart to drop down to a 7mm as well
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 08:39
Lets see now, Hornady, as in Steve, has delivered us how many "new" cartridges in the past couple years?  Rifleman magazine just had an article on all the new cartridges.  Lets see, how many of them are "worthy", well all may find there place some where, but none are revolutionary.  I think Steve has a case of the, "I am the greatest."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 09:04

.204 was cool i dont know if steve had anything to do with that one but otherwise yeah they havent been anything to special, although i find it very intresting that craig boddington liked the .375 ruger a lot.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 10:13

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Lets see now, Hornady, as in Steve, has delivered us how many "new" cartridges in the past couple years?  Rifleman magazine just had an article on all the new cartridges.  Lets see, how many of them are "worthy", well all may find there place some where, but none are revolutionary.  I think Steve has a case of the, "I am the greatest."

??? While I don't know of any new cartridges from anyone that I would call truly "revolutionary," Hornady is thinking outside the box and new stuff is good for the gun industry, whether or not we really want the new cartridge or rifle or whatever.  Still, I think the .204 Ruger is one of the best varmint rounds ever created, and as close to "revolutionary" as you're likely to see in shooting.  It's one of the few .20 caliber rounds in existence, having performance rivaling the .22-250 while burning less powder, producing better accuracy, and it's much easier on barrels.  The .17HMR has been wildly successful, has basically doubled effective rimfire range, and provides superior accuracy to its parent cartridge, the .22 WMR.  The .17 HM2, while not nearly as successful as the .17HMR, still doubles effective .22LR range, and will also generally outshoot it's parent cartridge due to the improved powders and more uniform, jacketed bullets.  Hornady is on the forefront of new powder technology, with their proprietary "High Energy" powders that produce increased velocities without increased pressures and their "Lil Gun" rimfire powder that has improved rimfire accuracy.  Those 4 things alone are about as revolutionary as you're likely to get in the ammo business.

The worst thing that can happen to our sport is for the manufacturers to remain stagnant.  If nothing else, introducing new stuff means increased sales, and increased sales means that there is healthy competition in the shooting industry, which means the industry stays vibrant.  Competition ultimately results in better products and keeps the manufacturers in business.  Regardless of whether we are personally interested in buying the newest gadget, isn't it always better to have more choices in our sport?

Why are you down on Steve Hornady and where do you get the idea that somehow introducing a bunch of new products is being arrogant?  I say bring 'em on and let the market decide what stands the test of time.  He's just doing what he's paid to do -- direct his people to come up with new products to try to increase sales.  Steve isn't the one developing the new cartridges, his engineers are.  Isn't it in all our best interest for the Hornadys of the world to stay in business? 

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 10:46
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

??? While I don't know of any new cartridges from anyone that I would call truly "revolutionary," Hornady is thinking outside the box and new stuff is good for the gun industry, whether or not we really want the new cartridge or rifle or whatever.  Still, I think the .204 Ruger is one of the best varmint rounds ever created, and as close to "revolutionary" as you're likely to see in shooting.  It's one of the few .20 caliber rounds in existence, having performance rivaling the .22-250 while burning less powder, producing better accuracy, and it's much easier on barrels.  The .17HMR has been wildly successful, has basically doubled effective rimfire range, and provides superior accuracy to its parent cartridge, the .22 WMR.  The .17 HM2, while not nearly as successful as the .17HMR, still doubles effective .22LR range, and will also generally outshoot it's parent cartridge due to the improved powders and more uniform, jacketed bullets.  Hornady is on the forefront of new powder technology, with their proprietary "High Energy" powders that produce increased velocities without increased pressures and their "Lil Gun" rimfire powder that has improved rimfire accuracy.  Those 4 things alone are about as revolutionary as you're likely to get in the ammo business.

The worst thing that can happen to our sport is for the manufacturers to remain stagnant.  If nothing else, introducing new stuff means increased sales, and increased sales means that there is healthy competition in the shooting industry, which means the industry stays vibrant.  Competition ultimately results in better products and keeps the manufacturers in business.  Regardless of whether we are personally interested in buying the newest gadget, isn't it always better to have more choices in our sport?

Why are you down on Steve Hornady and where do you get the idea that somehow introducing a bunch of new products is being arrogant?  I say bring 'em on and let the market decide what stands the test of time.  He's just doing what he's paid to do -- direct his people to come up with new products to try to increase sales.  Steve isn't the one developing the new cartridges, his engineers are.  Isn't it in all our best interest for the Hornadys of the world to stay in business? 

Ted, relax, that post was a little tongue in cheek.  I love the little rimfires and own rifles in both the hmr and mach 2.  I have had the hmr since it made its debut.  I really was referring more to some of his latest offerings.  The .204 Ruger is a fine cartridge, but so is the 5mm/35 SM, but better.  Again, this was more tongue in cheek and I have nothing against Steve Hornady and you are correct, I would rather have people in the industry being proactive as opposed to sitting on their laurels and sticking with the same stuff.  It is more fun this way.

Edited by Dolphin
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:15
im still pushing for more 6.5 stuff ie 6.5-06, 6.5x.284, 6.5 stw etc
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:17

Me too!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 11:23
im sure chris would jump on the band wagon for that as well
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 12:00
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

im still pushing for more 6.5 stuff ie 6.5-06, 6.5x.284, 6.5 stw etc

There is an article in petersons hunting magazine giving the 6.5x.284 props.  I was impressed.  Might have to consider getting on of those sometime.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 12:21
As for my 2 cents on Hornady.  I really like his stuff.  I have shot Hornady bullets for years with great results.  Not a huge fan of the SST bullets after trying them.  Plus I like it when a company will push out and be innovative like that.  You get better performance, better products, and if nothing else, it forces competition to step it up as well.  Then I get to benefit from all of it.  Hopefully he keeps going at the current rate, and forces the other companies to step it up.

Currently I am shooting Hornady almost exclusively.

300 Win Mag  - Hornady Heavy Mag 180 gr Interlock ( would like to start hand loading either 180 gr Interbond or Nosler Accubonds)
270 Win          - Hornady 140 gr Interbond hand loads
17 HMR          - Hornady 17 gr

Plus Hornady is cheaper to buy their bullets.  I have a harder time trying to justify Nosler Accubonds or Barnes X when I have such good success with Hornady bullets.  But I hear good things about Nosler Accubonds and I try to keep and open mind.  Anyway I am a big fan of Hornady products.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 12:57
i feel the same way about my sierra gamekings, i do use the nosler accubond in my 6.5 rem mag cause they shoot awesome and sierra doesnt have a 130 gr .264 bullet
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 13:25

Ted, relax, that post was a little tongue in cheek.  I love the little rimfires and own rifles in both the hmr and mach 2.  I have had the hmr since it made its debut.  I really was referring more to some of his latest offerings.  The .204 Ruger is a fine cartridge, but so is the 5mm/35 SM, but better.  Again, this was more tongue in cheek and I have nothing against Steve Hornady and you are correct, I would rather have people in the industry being proactive as opposed to sitting on their laurels and sticking with the same stuff.  It is more fun this way.

Understand.  I interpreted your post as a criticism of Hornady and that it was a bad thing they're introducing so many new products. 

I hope all gun related manufacturers go nuts in coming up with new products and ideas.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 14:44
i dont care what they come up with if the govt doesnt get things figured out soon we wont be able to afford anything anyway, $95 a barrel crude, a ford dealership here in town closed there doors two days ago, im guessing cause the economy is going to hell, look at the price of ammo and reloading supplies, the price of guns will go up as well you watch.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:20
I read that article on line at the Guns & Ammo site............The RCM`s while still in the early stages, will be impressive! The .338 RCM which the article primarily dealt with, has the same ballistic performance as the 338 Win. Mag........Both the 300 and the 338 RCM`s are based on the 375 Ruger case, but will be shorter in length!.............The market for shorter actions in lighter and more compact rifles is growing fast. I can personally attest to the virtues of these!!......In a smaller or lighter package, if one can closely equal or duplicate a longer action full sized rifle`s performance, then why not?? I see no disadvantages.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:37
well there is only one, but its not  been an issue i have heard anything about except in the wssm's and that is the feeding reliablity but with the wsms and rsums its not a problem when you go short fat case its suppose to help accuracy and also be more economical.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:47
I`ve never had any feeding problems with my 300 WSM..In that article,,they didn`t either!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 16:52
i havent either but thats the only possible negative thing with the short fat design
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic