OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Deer hunt is finally here!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer hunt is finally here!
    Posted: November/01/2007 at 07:05

Off tomorrow to the hunt camp; deer hunt starts here in mid-Ontario on Nov 5th. for two weeks.  According to the ministry of Natural Resources the deer population in our area (close to North Bay for those of you who know Ontario) is at a very healthy size.  Lots of anterless tags awarded this year although all of us are hoping for a big buck.  Black bear population also very healthy so will see what happens.  My sons are hoping to get up close and personal with the local bruins.

Lots of variety in rifles this year ranging from my 44 to 30.06, 308, 270 (sorry pyro), 338 up to a 450 Marlin.  I know that last one sounds a little heavy but these Ontario whitetails can be downright dangerous if you just nick them!

Will have 10 in camp this year and looking forward to teaching some of these young guys the finer points of dogging/driving.  The weather has been exceptionally mild so hope we get some hard frosts to kick the rut into gear.

Back on line in another week or so with what I hope will be a successful report.

Edited by Dogger
God save the Empire!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 09:13
The BEST of luck to you.Hope it all works out for you and you bring the big one home.....
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 16:15
Best of luck and have a great hunt, my friend!!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 16:57
Good luck Bro, We need pictures !
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 20:37

i too am heading to deep camp tomorrow as our season opens on sat,

dogger- its ok since your boy uses the 450 that kinda makes up for the .270

at our camp its usually a bunch of 30-06 and a couple of .270 and a 30-30 then there is me and my wifes two cousins

.338 win 300rsum 300wsm 6.5 rem mag and .280

course none of that really matters it a night when we get out of the woods when i really enjoy deer hunting nothing better than drinking a few barley pops and laughing at stupid stuff i love it!

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 20:50

Thanks for the good wishes guys, really looking forward to it.  Agree 100% pyro, the huntings always good but the camaraderie at camp is what makes it great.  Down to about 40F now so keeping our fingers crossed that it stays cool.

Good luck to everyone else going hunting.

God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 20:52
looks like its going to, we are looking at 40 something this weekend and cooling of into the 30's next week so i imagine you will as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 08:02
Ok, the Southern Hemisphere has done their bit. Up to you guys in the North. Happy hunting to all and hoping to see some pics!! Good luck!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 07:37

Well made it back from the great white north (actually very little snow this year).  Great week, weather stayed fairly mild, coldest day was about 20F.  Total of 10 hunters in camp by mid-week and harvested 5 deer.  Might have had a couple more depending on luck of the draw but mustn't get greedy.

1st run Monday morning pushed 3 out to the line.  Took a 6 pt buck, 2 does.  Had a new older hunter in camp, took his first deer on his first deer hunt by 08:30.  Probably still wondering why deer hunting is so easy.  Had a new Tikka 30.06 which performed just fine.  Later that morning on our second push put an 8 pt buck past my soon to be son-in-law.  Another 30.06 scored well - 4 deer on the pole by 10:00.

Tuesday was a wash out, literally, with heavy rains - just above freezing, so no one was too eager to venture out.  Hard to push them out of the thick cover and hemlock swamps with nasty weather like that.

Wednesday morning got another 6 pt buck on a short push through some heavy hardwood & balsam cover.  Young fellow scored with one shot from his 44.  Then engaged in a lively training session on field dressing - not pretty, but successful.   Thursday, Friday saw a couple more but no shots.  Put a big bull moose and cow past a wide eyed watcher who was starting to wonder if he should climb a a tree.  Also moved a black bear past

another couple of guys, only looked to go about 300 lbs so let it go by.

Our deer are generally fairly heavy bodied but racks are typically not exceptional.  Could be the mineral content in their browse.  Our 8 pointer was weighed at the local ministry check station at 218lbs so would guess live weigh would be somewhere around 270 lbs.  Fairly good size.

Yours truly didn't shoot this year but at least I was always in the middle of the action just where I love to be.  Had to remind some of those cocky youngters that anyone can pull a trigger but if I don't find them and push them out they would be eating bark this winter (wink, wink)!  Nothing better than putting deer past the new guys and getting them all excited.

Great year, will post pictures as soon as my son shows how to download the damn things.  Now off to the butcher to pick up our venison.

Cheers

Edited by Dogger
God save the Empire!
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 08:10
Isn't a 300 lb. black bear a decent sized bear in that part of your country ?
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 08:31
Mature boars probably average 350-400 lbs.  Largest I can recall being taken from our area was close to 700lbs - these are not dump bears either.  Unless a bear is a really decent size towards the upper weight end we don't bother - too much work to bring them out.  Exceptions are when they are nuisance bears around the camp.  Had a big problem about 5 yrs ago with multiple break ins.  This was just after some bright sparks cancelling the spring bear hunts when the local tree huggers claimed cubs were being orphaned.  Many confrontations as well in the local town.  At that time any bear was fair game.  Populations are still high but more in control now so we are being more selective.  The locals still shoot a fair number as pests.

Edited by Dogger
God save the Empire!
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 14:45
I had always heard that Canada had the largest black bear poulation. I live in Pennsylvania, and today is our second day of our 3 day bear season. We will find out after tommorow, if anyone broke the record of the heaviest bear harvested in PA. I think it is right around 850 lbs.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 14:55
That is a mighty big bear by anyones standards.  Would get a hernia trying to roll it over duruing skinning!  Will have a look to see what the record bear is for Ontario.
God save the Empire!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2007 at 15:31
Here's the headline in the local paper for what probably will be a new record for Ontario bear taken with a cross bow.  Hide and skull have not yet been officially measured:

Mattawa hunter bags 354-kilogram (780lb) black bear

God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic