OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

? on selecting new binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? on selecting new binos
    Posted: October/31/2007 at 18:11

Hello everyone i have been reading this forum a long time

and now need to buy new bino's  (my truck was stolen )

my ? is would i be better off buying a high end bino

like Swarovski's 10x32 EL's ( i can buy a used pr for $1000 )

or get a mid quality pair of binos  for $500 to $700

in 10x42 size ( i mainly hunt where i might glass out to 500 yrds )

Edited by pacfan
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 18:22
Easy, go with the Swarovski ELs.  Don't worry about the 3.2mm exit pupil and brightness in lowlight conditions.  Coatings have a lot to do with that and Swaro's, like the other high-end manufacturers, are very good.  As an example, I have a Swaro ATS 65mm spotting scope and it's plenty bright right until the close of shooting on 30x, which is a 2.2mm exit pupil.

If you are only going out to 500 yards, can I ask why you deem a 10x necessary?  I think you would be better served with a 7x or 8x and get the following benefits: 1) wider field of view, 2) better depth of field, 3) a more "relaxed" view with less inherent shake.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
pacfan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 18:30

thanks for the quick responce as far as 10x42  i'm replacing a pair of

nikon 10 x 42 ATB's please talk to me if i should be looking at something different

i'm rather new to this

Thank you

windstrings View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windstrings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 21:24
Check your PM pacman, I possibly know about a good opportunity for you if you like.

Edited by windstrings
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 07:13
Pacfan, check out the 7X42 SLC's on the sample list here at SWFA.  These would be all that you would ever need.  They also have a couple of pairs of 8x30 SLC's and both of these would save you a couple of hundred dollars over the new Swarovski's.  I have the 7x42s SLCs myself and I love them.  I would never sell them unless Swarovski came out with something alot better then what I have.  When you buy one of the big three Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss you never need to buy another pair because you have the best.  You should go to your local gun shop, sporting good store, competitor , Bass Pro, ect and try them out and let your eyes and hands tell you which ones to buy.  Thanks, birdhunter66
Birdhunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic