OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Scope Help... Ior/Nightforce/???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Descartian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Scope Help... Ior/Nightforce/???
    Posted: October/31/2007 at 09:53
Hi guys,

I have been perusing this site for a while and want to say that I am glad that, by research, you have talked me out of a Leupold.

Now here is my delema... I am waiting on a custom AR-15 rig in 243wssm and I am not sure which direction to go with optics.  I want to keep it in the $1,300 range. After all, why shoot a precision rifle with chap optics. 

I have narrowed it down to the Ior 6-24x50 35mm or the Night Force 5.5-22x56 and of course I am always interested in something better if you can recommend it.

The majority of my shooting is in the field going after South Texas White Tail, Boar, Coyote, Bobcat, and other local game. Practical shooting distances will range up to 350-400 yards or so. And paper punching sporadically on the weekends.  I know that it is a rather high power scope for my purposes, but I like to have the magnification for precise ear canal and eye shots so I don't have to go tracking through mesquite and prickley pear.

A lot of my predator hunting is done at dusk so low light functionality is a high priority to me.  By the way, I am looking at the illuminated reticule models.

I have never used a mil dot or tactical reticle before, but am always down to learn. One thing I did like a lot on the NF is the NP-2DD reticle as it does not take over a lot of the feild of view, draws the eye to the center, is not buisy, and the .1875 M.O.A. center dot for precision shooting.

That said, it seems that the Ior has slightly better optics and low light transference... HELP!!!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 12:14
Opinions differ of course.  I prefer IOR over Nightforce, personally.  I think IOR has better glass and I really like the MP-8 reticle with the floating center dot.  Also, keep in mind that IOR is in the middle of a transition to a new better knob design.

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 12:42
I agree with ILya, I don't own a NF, so i am somewhat biased though. I do believe the IOR to be a better choice however, and the one you mention is likely the same as the what I have, which I happen to really like alot the MP8 reticle is the cats @$$. You have a good dilemna there, but I believe the IOR to be a better buy. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 13:17
Better knob design? Do tell! :)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 13:20
It is a larger knob design that is easier to reset to zero and can get you further out with one revolution.  It first appeared on the Snipershide FFP IOR, but should be permeating other designs.  There are some pictures floating around.  I'll see if I can make one when I go to the range next time.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 13:57

Welcome, Descartian!

Either scope is very nice.  I don't have either of those particular models, but I do have 2 NF scopes and 1 IOR, and I'd rank them about equal.  Both have pluses and minuses.  I do agree the IOR probably has slightly better optics, and the MP8 reticle is great.  My IOR definitely outperforms my NFs in low light.  My NFs may have slightly sharper resolution in the center of the field, but the IOR has a much larger sweet spot, as well as much larger FOV.  My IOR is a 30mm model, though, and the general consensus is that the 35mm models are even better optically.

I prefer the IOR's fast focus eyepiece over NF's fine threaded eyepiece, and I don't like the fact the NF eyepiece rotates as you rotate the power ring.  However, I like the knobs and side focus on the NF better, and they do have way more reticles to choose from.  Neither scope's illumination system is all that great (too much illumination and/or limited intensity control).  The IOR has easily accessible intensity control, though even the lowest setting is a little too bright in my opinion.  Only the functional portion of the MP8 reticle is lit (which is good), whereas the entire NF reticle is lit.  The NF illumination control is nicely integrated with the side focus knob and it can be set to an ideal intensity setting for low light without over-illumination, however, you have to remove the knob to access the rheostat and use a small jeweler's screwdriver to adjust intensity.  Once adjusted, you cannot change intensity without removing the knob again.

One other thing -- does the IOR 6-24X50 have a first focal plane reticle?  I'm not sure, and it doesn't say in the specs, but I know some IOR scopes are first focal and some are second focal reticles.  All the NF scopes have SFP reticles, which may be a deciding factor in your decision.  For shooting at very small varmints / targets (as you stated you'd be doing), I prefer SFP, but for general hunting, tactical, etc., I prefer FFP.  Also, even though the IOR comes with rings, if you wanted different rings, the IOR you're interested in has 35mm tube, so ring selection will be more limited.  All NF scopes are 30mm tube.

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 17:12

Welcome to The OT, Steve!

Looks like The Hive has you covered.

I thought I would post a link to some pics of the new IOR knobs that koshkin mentioned from Sniper Hide.

They look to be MUCH improved over the old W/E knobs.

http://www.snipershide.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgall ery&Number=262435

Good luck in your quest!

Edited by cheaptrick
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 17:19

MAN ALIVE CHECK OUT THOSE KNOBS !!!!!!

I want a new one now, So many scopes so little money  

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 17:23
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Yeah, they remind me of the USO EREK knob.

Dark Lord, can you get the scope and have IOR send you the new knobs?? Or are the old and new even interchangable??  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 18:17
The old a new knobs are not interchangeable.  This was a pretty significant redesign.

ILya

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Yeah, they remind me of the USO EREK knob.

Dark Lord, can you get the scope and have IOR send you the new knobs?? Or are the old and new even interchangable??  

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 21:33

I have owned both IOR and Nightforce, I still own Nightforce.  I like the Nightforce knobs better than the IOR new knob - haven't shot the old knob.  Nightforce is stiff but moves when needed, the IOR was a little softer on the elevation, better stiffness on the windage.

The pic above is a 600-yard group.  The 3-shot group is 1/2MOA, which ain't too bad; but the 2 shots in half an inch, I was pretty happy with that.  Did I mention it was a 600 yard shot?

Had there been less mirage, I might'a seen the bullet holes through my USO.  My advice to almost anyone willing to spend more than $1,400 on a scope: save a little longer and invest in USO, you will not be disappointed!  Or buy S&B; the differences between those two and anything else on the market - quite dramatic.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic