OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitrosteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting Binoculars
    Posted: October/31/2007 at 08:56

I'm looking at roof prism binoculars and don't mind spending up to $500, but less would certainly be better.  I'm wanting something along the line of 10x42's waterproof.  I've done some researching on this site, but prior to looking on this site I had it narrowed down to 3 choices (it's alot more complicated now - but good to have more options):

Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 $309

Weaver Grand Slam 10x42  $425 (locally)

Cabelas Alaskan Guide 10x42  $499

I've heard complaints about the eyecups and lense covers on the Nikons, but no other complaints.  Alot of very positive reviews.

Can't find much at all about the Weavers, but I can actually put my "hands on" them and they seem very good compared to all but the European optics out of my price range that the store had (store had Pentax, Nikon, Leopold, Zeiss (very nice) and Swarovski (very nice).

I've seen no complaints on the Cabelas, I have had good experience with other products that they put their label on, but I can't get an answer on who makes these.  They are a bit pricier.

$500 is my absolute limit.  Is there a better choice in the $300-$500 range for a hunter?  I'm mainly looking at 100-500 yards, light gathering is important as alot of my looking with be at dawn and dusk.  I don't wear eyeglasses probably never will (hopefully).  I am very rough on equipment, although my old pair of 8x23 Travelite IV Nikons has been with me for over 10 years now...

Thank ya'll for your help.

Sincerely,

NitroSteel

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 09:13

You might also consider the Vortex Viper 10X42.  It's at the upper limit of your price range (retail is generally around $490) but it's one of the best, if not the best sub- $500 roofs I've seen.  I haven't seen the Cabelas bino, but I think it outperforms the Weaver and Nikon optically.

Welcome to the OT, Nitro!

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2007 at 14:27
I have the Grand Slam binoc and it's been superb. Great optics optics for the money.
Nitrosteel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitrosteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 03:11

I think I've changed my "target" to 8x42.  8 power is starting to make more sense.  After doing alot of reading it seems that the Vortex Viper has no complaints and will probably be my choice.  Pentax also seems like a good choice.  Is there any reason to consider the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series 8x42's (any idea who they're made by?)? 

Thank ya'll,

Nitrosteel

Edited by Nitrosteel
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2007 at 04:02

nitro:

I can't speak for the newer Weaver Grand Slam 10x42  BUT I have a pair of the Weaver 10.5x 45 Grand Slam's (older style)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0002BTNR8/ref=dp_im age_text_0/103-2103194-0425434?ie=UTF8&n=502394&s=ph oto

and they are a nice binocular. Mine are a little "touchy" on the focus wheel and they do show some CA when looking at contrasting objects but no more then my friends Pentax SP's.  I would rate them better optically the the Nikon Monarch's I haven't looked through the Cabelas Alaskan Guide series.  They are not quite as nice at the Pentax Sp's but they are very very close.  I have several pairs of binoculars some are not as good as the Weavers (Nikon, Alpen) some are better (Swift Audubon's, Swarovski) BUT my Weavers ride with me in the truck and they tend to be the "go to" binoculars...

I have heard very good things about the Vortex nocs.  I prefer a10x binocular where I hunt which is high hills and deep canyons but an 8x is easier to hold steady.  For that reason alone I love my Swifts at 8.5X.

Not to take business away from this site (the people here are great) but I did see on the web a competitor having a closeout on Fujinon CD series at a very very very attractive price.  No personal experience with the binoculars but again I have heard good things about them and the closeout price is marked really low.

Anyways, welocme to the forums

AC 

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitrosteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2007 at 19:05

Are the "Fujinon CD 8x42" binoculars on par with the Vortex and Pentax that I have read so much about?  I don't mind spending the extra money to get the Vortex, Cabelas or Pentax, but if I can get nearly (or just) as good of a pair by buying the Fujinon's on sale - I'll do it, and I'll do it this evening...

Thank you,

NitroSteel

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2007 at 21:05
Again no personal experience with the Fujinon CD but if you do a search at the top of this page in the "binocular" catagory several times the bino's have come up and general belief is they are pretty good glass and at some of the close out prices a very AWSOME deal.  I attached the following link which had the most information but there are others you can look up. 

If they are as good as the Pentax SP's which I rate pretty good, in fact up till you get to the $800 + category (Kahles & Minox) I like the Pentax best. If the Fujinon close then I would really consider it the price is considerably less then the others.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7877&KW=fu jinon+cd

Good luck
AC

- Anonymous

Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 18:19
bonjour nitro steel grasshopper!  I can recommend best not buying binocular!  Rifle scope good for looking at distance very how you say "clear" and "much brightness" and " greater eye box, relieving eye" more than binocular!!!  I use rifle scope very much at looking to madam dressing across la rue... tres beauty!!!  SAVE MONEY, you already have long looking glass on rifle, mon amie!
Let me give you my two scents worth
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 19:06

Pepe',

Bonsoir,

Ca va?

Are you sure that it is a rifle scope, and not a small telescope?

Everyone knows that the French do not own guns, or hunt.

They just sit around, all day, sipping wine (Beaujolais Nouveau) and eating cream brulee or cherry clafoutis, or maybe goat cheese (chevres), while looking at the ladies across the street, through their folding brass telescopes.

Au revoir

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2007 at 19:44

Ok, I am a bit confused with the above post from France.  Is this person suggesting that a hunter does not need binoculars while hunting with a rifle?   First off, hunters need binoculars for scanning terrain and nothing ticks me off more then some guy using his rifle as a general use optic meaning pointing a gun at something they are not shooting at which is unsafe and inappropriate.

Get a good set of binoculars and point your rifle at game you want to harvest not at stuff that gets your attention.

Happy & Safe Shooting

AC

- Anonymous

Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 13:22
It is no problem, mon amie!  Just careful you not to pull trigger when using scope as binocular!  Nice multipurpose looking glass for all uses without extra money for binocular!  Plus, you can get more power from riflescope no worries!  Need extra power to see beauty madam when releasing bosoms beaucoup from brassiere!
Let me give you my two scents worth
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2007 at 23:53

How good scope you ever get it will never come close to the binoculars when it comes to see things in the darkness or in Field of View.

I would say it's actually quite respectless to use the scope as a binocular, and if I found out that someone fellow hunter was looking at me thorugh his riflescope, it would bend his barrel around his neck.............

Regards Technika

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 03:57
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

I would say it's actually quite respectless to use the scope as a binocular, and if I found out that someone fellow hunter was looking at me thorugh his riflescope, it would bend his barrel around his neck.............

Regards Technika

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 07:25
The skunk is obviously putting off a scent that is "foreign" to the rest of us.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2007 at 07:55

At least someone from over there has it right. I'm pretty sure Hakan has some pretty stringent safety rules for getting a hunting license. My two daughters took hunters safety and they were told to never use a riflescope for glassing!

Doug

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2007 at 21:04

First rule of firearms never point it at something you are not willing to destroy/kill.  I think Pepe is a forum troll, come on no legitimate hunter would ever suggest someone points a firearm as a general optical device. Advice like that is nothing more then someone trolling for responses and for all the wrong reasons.  That might be fine on a web forum dealing with t-shirts but an optical forum dealing with firearms (deadly weapons) and to even suggest such a thing is unethical, irresponsible and potentially high liability.

Also, a scope has no where near the field of view that a set of binouclars has so even then a scope is still the wrong tool for the job. Just because you can hammer a nail in with a screw driver it does not make it a hammer.

Edited by Acenturian

- Anonymous

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitrosteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 17:18

Just letting ya'll all know.  I bought the Fujinon 8x42 binoculars.  These are great.  I highly recommend them, and I didn't mind spending the extra $300 for the others.  The salesperson on the phone basically told me that I'd be an idiot to do so, so, I saved my money...  These binoculars are very good.  They far outperform the light gathering, definition and almost everything else versus my Leopold riflescope at dark.  I guess I could've spent more, but these see well after I'm able to shoot anyways...

Thank ya'll for the heads up.

Nitrosteel

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2007 at 21:02

Right on  Glad to be of help Nitro:  and I am glad to hear that the Fujinon's worked out for you...at close out prices that is one great deal.  Welcome aboard and thanks for letting us know what you got and how you like them. 

I have ALWAYS gotten great advice on this forum and been happy with all the suggestions I have recieved...hope you stick around and participate.

Happy Shooting

AC

- Anonymous

robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2007 at 23:29

Hi fellow hunters and others.  This is my first post to this sight.

Nitro, I am in a very similar spot.  I thought I wanted a 10X42, but after reading much here, I have conclude 8X would be better.  I am mostly looking for dawn and dusk identification of legal deer.  I hunt in Missouri and rule is 4 points on a at least 1 side minimum.  I basically hunt 2 scenarios.  60 yard radious in heavy brush, or open field with about 300 yd range. 

The posts here have been helpful.  I THOUGHT $300 was going to be my max, but have streatched that a bit when I looked at competitor Alaskan Guide.  I liked it better than Leupold Cascade (Nice sale $229 due to new store in town) and a little better than Nikon Monarch ($289).

I would like to try the Vortex Viper ($479)  This "new" price point also opens Leupold Olympic, Bushnell E2, Minox BL  -  OH geezzzz - too many....

You say you bought the Fujinon and SAVED $.  Please help me out there.  I see it on ebay at $539.  Not on this site or Cabelas or a few others.  Where did you find and at what $?  Were you able to try it out first?

Thanks in advance, and other comments certainly welcome - Prehaps the most valuable would be a compelling reason to eliminate any of the competitors.

Thanks

www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2007 at 00:50

Robbie

Take the FOV into consideration as well, when hunting at 60 yards the more FOV the easyer it is.

I never use binoculars for this application that has less than 7,4 degree FOV.

And I often use binoculars that are up to 8,5-9degress

But the problem with FOV is that when going to the extreme FOV there will be a loss of sharpness to the edges, but that doesent really matter as there is nothing that is sharp anyway when it's dark.

And when I have to look on details i don't use the edges, i use the center.

Regards Technika

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic