OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope rating scale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope rating scale
    Posted: October/29/2007 at 12:22
We keep on having various discussions about scope rating scales.  T-bone had the original version.  Chris has put a lot of time and effort into making his own scale.

I generally agree with Chris' version, although there are always points of contention.  The biggest arguments stem from the fact that we all look for different things.

I think I will try to come up with a more complicated version of the scale that will assign several ratings to each scope in different categories.

Here are the categories I am thinking of:

• Optical quality (resolution, color accuracy, contrast, stray light suppression, etc.)
  • Mechanical quality (W/E adjustments, toughness, etc)
  • Usability (eye relief, field of view, mounting ease, reticle selection, etc)
  • Customer Support
Any other categories you can suggest?

To ward off the arguments before they start: I am looking for input on the categories, not scopes. 

This table will only contain the scopes I am reasonably well familiar with, and will only be a reflection of my opinion.  I would like to avoid the bickering that Chris has to go through when everyone complaints about his scale being wrong.

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 13:24
I like this idea, although I'm wondering how much bickering you'llm have to listen to.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 13:45

Koshkin -

I think this is a good idea/concept also, and I have one recommendation.  Often times, all of the above characteristics are lumped together adn evaluated when making a decision on the scope's VALUE.  Perhaps you could sum up as to the best value under $300, $500, $1000, etc.   Clearly value is subjective, but also is the importance of resolution vs. contrast, as an example.

Just a thought...good luck with this!

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 14:16
some type of weighted average would work better, or---- use a neural net fuzzy logic routine and assignment a membership function to each catagory with some type of scaling with a one to one mapping from product to property, this would remove the "hard" set classification between catagories (when does a river become long) problem inherent in these types of comparison and give it more of a Venn diagram, union or intersection set function. Thus hard set values such as glass would be soften or moderated as by ND2000 suggestion of value.
bdee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 16:56
What would be helpful is that next to each scope we could put a MSRP and a street value, so that members could pick the best scope for their budget.

I think we also need to differentiate the lines of scope rather than lump them into one category.  What comes to mind are brands like Sightron, Nikon, Pentax, Bushnell.  I know that some are already there, but others like Sightron or Nightforce are all one rating.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 17:56
Thanks for the comments.

While I can note the street prices (I do not think MSRP has much informational value), I was hoping to not address value proposition.  It is a deeply personal thing that depends on what is important to you and how much money you have.  I will certainly talk about what I consider a good deal for my needs, same as I will only address the scopes I have familiarity with and rank them in accordance with my preferences.  I have no wish to try to come up with a universal value scale.  That would be an exercise in futility.

ILya
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 18:50

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I would like to avoid the bickering that Chris has to go through when everyone complaints about his scale being wrong.

ILya

As my aussie friends say, "Good on ya, mate" 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 18:53
Chris, is there a way to post a table (other than as a picture)?

ILya
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 20:11

ILya,

I think you have it pretty well covered.  I can't wait to see the results.  It will be most interesting.

Have you enough information to do the same sort of list, with appropriate criteria, for binoculars?

I appreciate the information you share with us.

Steve

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 20:36
Originally posted by ND2000 ND2000 wrote:

Koshkin -

I think this is a good idea/concept also, and I have one recommendation.  Often times, all of the above characteristics are lumped together adn evaluated when making a decision on the scope's VALUE.  Perhaps you could sum up as to the best value under $300, $500, $1000, etc.   Clearly value is subjective, but also is the importance of resolution vs. contrast, as an example.

Just a thought...good luck with this!

ND2000

value good call i agree but as you say its subjective.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 20:48
I have played with quite a few binoculars, so I can put together something, but the topic has been covered fairly well by birders.  Besides, I tend to prefer lower magnification binoculars, while most other people tend to gravitate toward higher magnifications.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 20:53
let me clairify something here, when i say value i guess what i want to know in your opinion is the glass worth the price, or is it a great deal or is it a rip off.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bdee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 22:22
I think once we see the scale with the notation of a street price, we'll be able to make that call for ourselves.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 22:28
I will probably note street price on a few scopes of configurations that are of interest to me.  If I try to catalogue the price of every model in every line, I'll be at it until I turn old and grey.

ILya
bdee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 22:32
Perhaps some of us could help with that.  I was just thinking about how much the ATN scope go for and then hearing others experiences with them.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 22:40
ATN scopes' value proposition is very simple to describe: whatever they go for is way to much.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2007 at 03:23
Tagged for responses.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2007 at 03:42

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ATN scopes' value proposition is very simple to describe: whatever they go for is way to much.

ILya

I love waking up to a belly laugh!

Thanks ILya

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2007 at 08:40
i've looked thru an ATN at a gun show, not at all impressed, and then the price, yikes what are they thinking ?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2007 at 10:29
I look forward to seeing your conclusions, ILya!  I think what you've outlined so far is a pretty formidable task as-is, especially evaluating mechanical quality/durability, since unless you had an obvious tracking problem, you'd almost have to try to make a scope fail to really determine this.  So, I'd stick to the criteria you already have if I were you.  As you said, "value" is such a subjective measure that will vary widely depending on individual preferences. 

Edited by RifleDude
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic