OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon or Trijicon for Africa?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taste-T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon or Trijicon for Africa?
    Posted: October/28/2007 at 20:08
I can't seem to find any parallax info on Trijicon Accu-points.  Is there a set parallax distance or are they parallax-free?

Also, anyone know how the new Nikon Monarch UCC scopes stand up to recoil?

Going to Africa next year for plains game and I'm scoping a 375 H&H.  I'm open to other suggestions but I need a 1 inch tube, lots of eye relief, and prefer side focus.
Greg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 21:01
kahles my friend thats all i will say, yes the monarch can handle a .375
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 21:18
And a .270 for the PLAINS GAME??????????????    Right Pyro??????
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2007 at 22:12
you bet the natives use them for spears i hear
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 08:24

The Kahles 1.5-6x42 (several on sample list at good value) would be a fine choice.  The Trijicon Accupoint 1.25 to 4x24 is a nice scope and I like the post reticle for fast action. Also noteworthy is that the .375 H&H has about the same balistics as far as trajectory as a .308 so eaven the ACOG TA01B on Sample List might be a consideration. The Monarch Gold in a 1.5-6x42 is a consideration but I am a little concerned that I see so many - factory refurbished Nikons. I have sent back two Omega Nikon scopes so not sure I would risk life on their quality control at this point.  As for Side Focus here is my pick ( I just bought one )

LEU60030 Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope                                                                           Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 1st Focal Plane Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,224.95
More Info...

The really nice thing about this particular scope is that because it is front focal plane the hash marks on the TMR reticle can be used for hold over --- but unlike the rest of the scopes out there with trajectory compensating reticles that only work at the highest power this puppy does exactly the same thing at every power every time -- OH YEA  Comes with a booklet 300win mag on at the X for 100 meters, half mil mark is  200 meter, one mil mark is 300 meter, 2 mil mark is 400 meters and so on. Thing is that it doesn't matter what caliber  you shoot all you do is get on the range zero at 100 then go to 200, 300, 400 etc and match where the lower bullet holes on the paper match up to the marks on the reticle and that mark on the reticle is your hold over point for that distance. The beauty is that it works at every power. Now why it isn't manditory that all scopes with balistic reticles be front focal plane I dont know. If the new Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56 Rapid Z1000 was a front focal plane it would be the ultimate scope but who hunts at 24x I need the hold over points to work at 6x or whatever power I am at so front focal plane is the real deal. The down side is that tactical knobs tend to catch on brush.

So why does the scope have to be a one inch tube most of these are 30mm?  

6547 Trijicon 4x32 ACOG TA01B, Full Line Red Illumination, .308 bullet drop reticle, ready to mount in carry handle, 100% new in box, display model $990.00 $699.95

7322 Kahles 1.5-6x42 C 51611, Matte finish, first focal plane 4A reticle, 30mm tube, fast focus eye piece, close to new condition. $1,171.00 $699.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 12:53

Originally posted by taste-T taste-T wrote:

I can't seem to find any parallax info on Trijicon Accu-points.  Is there a set parallax distance or are they parallax-free?

Also, anyone know how the new Nikon Monarch UCC scopes stand up to recoil?

Going to Africa next year for plains game and I'm scoping a 375 H&H.  I'm open to other suggestions but I need a 1 inch tube, lots of eye relief, and prefer side focus.

All of the Trijicon Accupoint scopes have the parallax set at 100 yards.  The TR-20 was recently use on a Ruger Hawkeye 375 Ruger, on an African hunt as part of a magazine article on the rifle.  The author liked the scope, especially for rapid acquisiton of game and thought the scope handled the recoil well without any shifting of the zero point and could handle much more of that caliber than he could.  However, he felt that despite the particular qualities differentiating this scope from routine scope, that the TR-21 1.25x4 24mm, might be a better choice.  Eye relief was not an issue.  I own a TR-22 and it is the best scope I have ever looked throught, period.

Edited by Dolphin
taste-T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taste-T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 19:08

So why does the scope have to be a one inch tube most of these are 30mm?  

The rifle's got a vintage Paul Jaeger quick detach sidemount with 1" rings that I really like.  If I could find 30mm rings for it I'd go with that size tube but as far as I know they don't exist.
Greg
taste-T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taste-T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2007 at 19:29
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

All of the Trijicon Accupoint scopes have the parallax set at 100 yards.  The TR-20 was recently use on a Ruger Hawkeye 375 Ruger, on an African hunt as part of a magazine article on the rifle.  The author liked the scope, especially for rapid acquisiton of game and thought the scope handled the recoil well without any shifting of the zero point and could handle much more of that caliber than he could.  However, he felt that despite the particular qualities differentiating this scope from routine scope, that the TR-21 1.25x4 24mm, might be a better choice.  Eye relief was not an issue.  I own a TR-22 and it is the best scope I have ever looked throught, period.

The TR20 would be my choice if I went with the Trijicon.  I've been told that decent magnification would be advisable due to the possibility of some long shots.
Greg
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2007 at 18:22

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

you bet the natives use them for spears i hear

O.K. -that's pretty funny! Talk about the perfect emoticon!

taste-T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taste-T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 19:24
Originally posted by mr dawes mr dawes wrote:

You can get 30mm rings from Griffin & Howe that will fit the Jaeger mounts. The holes in the removable part of
the base are the same size. Just be sure the height is correct and that the centerline offset is the same.

I looked at them and was curious if they'd work but there's no way they are worth the $250 they're asking for them.
Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic